Are you kidding me?

Options
That's what I said last night when my wife told me we were having chili dogs & french fries for supper last night! But then....I quickly learned that I could eat this without it being a caloric disaster. Check this out:

I had:

2 Oscar Meyer Fat Free hot dogs (37 cals each)
2 slices of 35 cal Light Potato bread
5 Tablespoons of Castleberry's Hot Dog Chili Sauce (10 cals per tbsp)
2 servings of baked crinkle cut fries (120 cals per serving)

Grand total of 434 calories! I sooo felt like I was cheating on my diet, but I still finished my day off with 369 calories in the bank! WOO HOO!

Replies

• lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    That's awesome, good job!
  • squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Options
    That's not bad at all! Filling, yummy...and guilt free! And here you thought your wife was trying to sabotage your diet! :wink:
  • rhstyles
    rhstyles Posts: 36
    Options
    Good Job...we are a "french fry family" LOL. :laugh: The brand Ore Ida makes extra crispy french fries and tator tots, after baking them, they are as close to the fried version as you can get. (Even approved by my 6 year old.)
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Not bad at all. I probably would'a went ahead and spent another 170 calories on real hotdog buns though,,, I can't hack the tater bread.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!

It's tricks like this, to make "bad" foods into healthy versions, that will make losing the weight so much easier! Feeling like you're not missing out/depriving yourself is the way to go, just low calorie!!!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    That's the way to do it!
  • tammy4720
    tammy4720 Posts: 11
    Options
    Wow, I never would have thought that meal came in under 500 calories! Way to go! I'll have to share this menu with my husband.

Thanks for sharing :happy:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    This is my MO in life...figuring out healthier ways to prepare yummy meals that my husband and kids like, and it is fun! And easy!
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    Ummmm, I have to ask, so sorry if I sound stupid. But, then again, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask....

What is potato bread? My daughter and I have wheat allergies and gluten intollerance..... is it gluten/wheat free? We are sooooo missing sandwiches. This would be so nice to know.

And great job on having a splurge meal on less than 500 cals. Thats awesome:drinker:
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    That sounds awesome! Glad you enjoyed it :-)
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Great job! You should give your wife a huge kiss for that. We are having hot dogs for dinner so wish me luck LOL
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Way to make it work! You just proved that you can make anything work for you if you just give it the ole college try! Nicely done!
  • vanessaxlynne
    Options
    I am by all means NOT a hot dog person, the smell, texture, taste grosses me out, but do those hot dogs you had taste any different or better??

Sounds like you did a great job though!! Good for you
  • LilMissAngi
    LilMissAngi Posts: 127
    Options
    sounds yummy!
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Ummmm, I have to ask, so sorry if I sound stupid. But, then again, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask....

What is potato bread? My daughter and I have wheat allergies and gluten intollerance..... is it gluten/wheat free? We are sooooo missing sandwiches. This would be so nice to know.

And great job on having a splurge meal on less than 500 cals. Thats awesome:drinker:

"Standard" potato bread still contains regular flour, it just has added mashed potato for softness/moistness.

I did a quick google and there appear to be a lot of gluten free potato bread recipes that have rice flour though!
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options

"Standard" potato bread still contains regular flour, it just has added mashed potato for softness/moistness.

I did a quick google and there appear to be a lot of gluten free potato bread recipes that have rice flour though!

Thanks!
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    Mmmmmm we love chilli dogs around here!! Glad your wife is cooking healthy for you.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Way to go!

I also like Healthy Life's bread (I think that is right) -- it is 35-40 calories a slice as well.

I think my husband has been happy that we haven't been having salad and chicken all of the time too (even though we do eat a lot of chicken!)