Okra, My Nemesis

Options

Replies

• Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Stir fried with loads of other veggies (peppers, spring onion, carrot batons, mushrooms - whatever is in the cupboard). Remember to season the olive oil with garlic and ginger first, and finish with soy sauce. If you want to make it meaty, shred some chicken or fish and cook in the wok first. Yummy!
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Gumbo!!! My gumbo takes 2lbs of the stuff and it is delicious. Okra is a thickening agent. You can use it in soups like you use flour to give them a thicker mouth feel. Boil it down in the broth of the soup until it disappears then add back the meats and veggies you don't want over cooked. It doesn't have a ton of flavor of its own so it will just make your soups richer without adding the calories of a roux. My gumbo callls for 1lb cooked into the broth and 1lb added about 15m before serving. I was afraid my boys would balk at the recognizable okra but the most picky of my eaters declared it his favorite part of the soup.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I like it in gumbo. It's not easy to get around here, though (the okra, that is...)

Buy frozen
  • KathyPBiles
    KathyPBiles Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    We like it tossed in a small amount of EVOO and sea salt then grilled.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Okra is like the vegetable equivalent of a slug.

Not if it's fresh or if it's cooked right.

I like it fresh, oven-roasted or sauteed. Not snotty.
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    THExNEKOxCHAN Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have an easy solution to this problem: if you don't like it, don't eat it.

Honestly. Enjoy the food you like, and don't worry about the stuff you don't.
  • runlikeananna
    runlikeananna Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Move to Australia where it is not a common thing. I think I have seen it once in the grocers. The only vegetable I will not eat is swede. My father had an aversion to it because it was the only thing he had to eat in the war as a boy and his distaste rubbed off on me.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Go to an Indian restaurant and order Bhindi Masala. Or, follow these steps at home:

http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2008/01/07/bhindi-masala-spicy-okra/
  • ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Okra is widely used in Greek cuisine and one of my favourite vegetables when cooked right. There's a trick to get rid of sliminess: first wash them, then cut them in pieces and leave them in lemon juice (or vinegar) for a couple of hours before cooking. Traditionally they are put in lemon juice (or unripe grape juice where I come from) and left in the sun to air dry for an hour or two.

One of the most delicious dishes with okra I always look forward to eat when I visit home is with chicken, potatoes, fresh tomato and and lots of olive oil in the oven. And freshly baked bread, maybe some feta cheese as well... Mmm, yummy!

Here's a picture I found with a quick search, although it doesn't do the dish justice

P8230284.JPG
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    bindi baaji from a good indian/pakistani restaurant

bindi baaji is an Indian language (sorry, can't remember which one!!) for fried okra. Fried is a bit of a simplistic term, yes it's fried but in a lot of delicious spices and with other stuff usually.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Go to an Indian restaurant and order Bhindi Masala. Or, follow these steps at home:

http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2008/01/07/bhindi-masala-spicy-okra/

thank you for the link :) will check it out. I love Indian/Pakistani/Bengali food
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    We add it to stir fries here, and none of the family minds a little slime. My dad treated it as a huge treat to get it from the Indian restaurant, and I think that rubbed off on me. I like slime, but can't stand wobble :P
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    As a bhindi bhaji from my local Indian restaurant (or see this recipe: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/bhindibhajji_74849)
  • kuteme
    kuteme Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For those of us from Africa, west Africa to be precise, okra is a delicacy and the slimier it is the better :-) . It is chopped and cooked with tomatoes, pepper, garlic etc. with some protein. It is usually eaten with some staple food we have here or steamed rice
  • becca5426
    Options
    too funny!!!
  • Pimpmonkey
    Options
    I've tried every way I can think of too, and I just can't do it. If you ever find a way that works for you, pass it along so I can try it.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    breaded and fried.
  • ECR1989
    ECR1989 Posts: 158
    Options
    Never tried it fried or pickled but ate it a lot growing up, pretty much stewed the only way to go for me and I actually enjoy it. This takes some kitchen skills to get it down but once you do you will love it, this is a North African/Mediterranean way of eating it.

http://www.food.com/recipe/bamya-lamb-or-beef-and-okra-stew-14739

LOVE this recipe! My mum did a version of this when I was growing up but I could never find it myself - thank you!!!! now just to find some okra...
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My mom makes this modified "fried okra". She gives it a light coating of cornmeal and puts it in a cast iron skillet with a teeny tiny bit of evoo in the bottom. She then bakes it for about an hour. It comes out so YUMMY!
  • walk_fit
    walk_fit Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Okra is extremely good to lower cholesterol.I eat it three times a week.

Take pic sweet whole okra frozen packet.

Microwave half of the frozen content in a microwave safe dish for few minutes till thawed.

Cut both ends and make them into reasonable size pieces.
    In a pan put little olive oil fry the okra and remove it in a dish. In the same pan add 1 onion and tomato chopped , add salt,turmeric and paprika/chili powder, can also add ginger garlic, fry for few minutes.then add the okra which have been partially fried on top of the tomato onion mix. DO NOT MIX IT. Cover the pan and cook in very slow flame till okra fully cooked. Later after cooking mix the dish.