Being fat vs. having excess skin? Help!

Options
Hi all!

I'm new to this site so i'm not too sure if i am writing this in the right spot so bare with me!

I am 19 years old and my whole life i have been overweight. I don't really mind how I look, (other than my dreaded muffin top :( ) but i really want to be healthy! 2 years ago i decided that after 6 years of smoking i would quit to help my health. I quit cold turkey! After 6 years of heavy smoking! I am very strong willed and when i put my mind to something i can always do it!

Heart disease and diabetes run in my family and i have always been terrified of it! I have pretty high cholesterol due to all of the yummy red meat and cheese i eat. Although this scares me, i have a greater fear! EXTRA SKIN!!! I know it's ridiculous but i am terrified of having excess skin.. I have put off loosing weight for a long tome because of it and put my health at risk. I am 260 pounds and the biggest i have ever been. I am covered in stretch marks.

As i stated before i'm pretty content with the way i look, i am just terrified to go through all of the trouble of loosing weight just to be disgusted with the way i look after. I don't want to hate my body.

Does anyone have any suggestions to avoid excess skin or at least reduce the risk of it?
Do you feel that i would have a lot of skin due to the fact that i have been overweight my whole life?
Does the amount of stretch marks i have give any hints to how bad my excess skin will be?

Thank you !
Much love!
Xoxo
Emily

Replies

• ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    supposedly, if you lose slowly (1-2 pounds a week) and incorporate weight lifting, you wont have loose skin. I personally feel like I look super squishy right now, but I am hoping that is because I am just not at my goal. My friend and I always complain about what we refer to as our "flat tire"- the ring of jiggle around our waists that was smoother (although rounder) when we were fatter.
  • fatjavotte
    fatjavotte Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You are only 19. Your skin is very elastic and you should be OK.
    I lost over 70lbs when I was 20 and my skin looked great.
  • EmilyDawn1111
    EmilyDawn1111 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies guys!
    I hear from a lot of people that younger skin is elastic. But i think of it as a stretched shirt that never goes back to normal lol. Its scary. I'm scared that because i've always been overweight that my skin is too used to form to a slimmer body properly
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    You are only 19. Your skin is very elastic and you should be OK.
    I lost over 70lbs when I was 20 and my skin looked great.
    we all different , i only lost 45 pounds but i have loose skin that may need surgery ... it varies from person to person
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way, if you don't like it, you can always put the weight back on, but it's harder to hide being overweight than it is to hide having loose skin.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    And it sounds like to me that because of your family history, you have some real potential health concerns--which should be a great motivator ( I don't ever recall hearing about someone having a heart attack because of excess skin!)

Please don't talk yourself into letting your fear of excess skin stop you from trying. You're young enough that your body can adapt, and it's likely that if you do have some excesses, it will be in places that you can disguise with some pretty, fashionable, but modestly cut clothes.

And you'll never know until you try!
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    OMG who really cares if you end up with excess skin. I have so far lost 183 pounds...yep I have excess skin...would i trade it in for being bigger...HELL NO....there are just toooooooo many things you gain from losing weight to even worry about the skin. With your age you may be fine...but even if you end up with skin...you can either have it removed...or trust me you can work around it. I dress well and you wouldnt know if i didnt know you that i had excess skin...dont let excess skin be soemthing that stops you from getting healthy :)
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I have almost lost 100lbs and I am 22. I worried about this as well. I have some... not as much as I expected. To be honest, you can hide skin... you can't hide fat and a lack of self confidence! Health is worth it.
  • EmilyDawn1111
    Options
    Thank you all. I know it sound ridiculous! I am going to lose weight. I know i can do it. You're all right! A little extra skin is better than death.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    OMG who really cares if you end up with excess skin. I have so far lost 183 pounds...yep I have excess skin...would i trade it in for being bigger...HELL NO....there are just toooooooo many things you gain from losing weight to even worry about the skin. With your age you may be fine...but even if you end up with skin...you can either have it removed...or trust me you can work around it. I dress well and you wouldnt know if i didnt know you that i had excess skin...dont let excess skin be soemthing that stops you from getting healthy :)

I love this
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get good nutrients for your skin, take vitamin E and Fish oil supplements & drink plenty of Green Tea (antioxidant), it will also aid you in weight loss.. See below...
    You quit smoking after 6 years and you're only 19? Wth?

--> "Antioxidants such as beta-carotene and vitamins C, E, and A can curb the damage caused by unstable molecules known as free radicals. These molecules can harm skin cells and cause signs of aging. One of the best ways to get more antioxidants is to eat a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. Try snacking on blueberries, strawberries, grapefruit, kale, spinach, and different kinds of peppers. Adding a little tomato paste, which contains an antioxidant called lycopene, to stir-fried vegetables, brown rice, or quinoa."
    "Another good idea is to stock your grocery cart with foods that are high in omega-3 fatty acids, including wild salmon, sardines, fortified eggs, and walnuts."
  • EmilyDawn1111
    Options
    Make sure you get good nutrients for your skin, take vitamin E and Fish oil supplements & drink plenty of Green Tea (antioxidant), it will also aid you in weight loss.. See below...
    You quit smoking after 6 years and you're only 19? Wth?

--> "Antioxidants such as beta-carotene and vitamins C, E, and A can curb the damage caused by unstable molecules known as free radicals. These molecules can harm skin cells and cause signs of aging. One of the best ways to get more antioxidants is to eat a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. Try snacking on blueberries, strawberries, grapefruit, kale, spinach, and different kinds of peppers. Adding a little tomato paste, which contains an antioxidant called lycopene, to stir-fried vegetables, brown rice, or quinoa."
    "Another good idea is to stock your grocery cart with foods that are high in omega-3 fatty acids, including wild salmon, sardines, fortified eggs, and walnuts."

Thank you for the tips! :)
    And yes i started smoking VERY young age :( it's a regret but i am proud of quitting.
  • pichiPurinsesu
    pichiPurinsesu Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    i worry about having excess skin too - purely because i have had 2 c-sections and i'm just scared i'll loose all this weight then be left with a ledge still :( (i'm 26 btw)
  • MN4US
    MN4US Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You're all right! A little extra skin is better than death.

This.

Good luck! You can do it!!
  • Anthony110101111110001101
    Options
    Great job giving up smoking. Good luck on your journey, you have certainly come to the right place for advice. I do highly recommend you do a lot of research around diet and what to and not to eat. I think you'll do great if you stick to it and you'll be a living a lot better life.

Oh and yes make sure you do strength training. you don't have to go to excess but it will really help keeping toned and loosing weight.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I would concentrate on being healthy which means losing weight.