binge eating

Options
just went and had a binge, about 2500 over maintenence.. what will be the result when I wake up in the next to days ? weight gain ? bloated ? thanks heaps, any personal experiences would be great

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    The real question is why you binged, and what you can do to prevent it from being a regular experience. Based on the forums, the most two common reasons for binges seem to be under-eating and emotional eating. If you are eating too little, you should set more modest weight-loss goals. If you are an emotional eater, then you need to find some other way of handling your emotions. A couple of sessions with a therapist might be useful for that.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    The real question is why you binged, and what you can do to prevent it from being a regular experience. Based on the forums, the most two common reasons for binges seem to be under-eating and emotional eating. If you are eating too little, you should set more modest weight-loss goals. If you are an emotional eater, then you need to find some other way of handling your emotions. A couple of sessions with a therapist might be useful for that.

^^^ this

or a combination of the two reasons listed. If someone only binges when they're on a diet, they are probably cutting their calories too low. If someone binges regardless of whether they're trying to diet or not, then it's more likely to be emotional. But it can be both at the same time. IMO people should rule out the hunger induced bingeing first, i.e. ensure they're actually feeding their body properly in terms of enough calories and all the nutrients the body needs, as bingeing is a normal survival response to eating too few calories. If that has been ruled out, then address the emotional reasons behind the bingeing.
  • magsxx
    magsxx Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Draw a line under it! It's done and nothing you can do about it now. I'd eat healthy over the next few days and drink plenty of water and maybe stay away from the scales.

Also think about why you had your binge. Have you been eating enough or are you depriving yourself of something that you really want and maybe try to fit a treat into your calories either weekly or daily. I try to fit a funsize chocolate treat into my daily calores and once a week i fit in a chinese and a few wines so that i know i have something to look forward to otherwise i'd never stay on track.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    The results is DEATH.

nice knowin' ya!!!
  • hdutoit17
    Options
    I go up a few 100 grams to a kg - wether it be waterweight or bloating, but lose it again quickly in about 1-3 days when I eat healthier again.

I feel dissapointed in myself when I binge so bad, cause it takes me those 3 days to get back to normal when I could have used those days to lose weight. But as long as I dont binge every week, I dont beat myself up to bad.
  • MN4US
    MN4US Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I did the same three days ago.. As a result I had awful tummy pains and was up 0.6kg the next day, which really isn't a lot considering how much I ate (I assumed I'd balloon a fair few pounds)

I vowed never to order a pizza again :tongue: and stayed away from the scales yesterday!

But yes, I guess I wasn't eating enough at the time.. I'm hoping the weight will have come off, need to weigh myself tomorrow!
  • mili5726
    mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Why does it always have to be an emotional thing when someone binges? If I binge it's because there is some high fat good tasting food in front of me, and I am hungry and lose self control. My binge food is pizza. If we order a pizza I will always binge on pizza, no matter how much I tell myself I am only going to eat one piece. As soon as I get that taste in my mouth before you know it I ate 4 pieces. Some of my problem is that I eat bad food too fast, if we do happen to order pizza i need to learn how to eat slower, maybe use a fork and take my time. If I do binge I just try to get right back on track the next day. I workout really hard and stick to healthy eating. That is really all you can do.
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Why does it always have to be an emotional thing when someone binges? If I binge it's because there is some high fat good tasting food in front of me, and I am hungry and lose self control. My binge food is pizza. If we order a pizza I will always binge on pizza, no matter how much I tell myself I am only going to eat one piece. As soon as I get that taste in my mouth before you know it I ate 4 pieces. Some of my problem is that I eat bad food too fast, if we do happen to order pizza i need to learn how to eat slower, maybe use a fork and take my time. If I do binge I just try to get right back on track the next day. I workout really hard and stick to healthy eating. That is really all you can do.
    Good idea and sound advice. However there is a difference between overeating and bingeing. I would describe your pizza episode as more like over eating than bingeing.
  • MN4US
    MN4US Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Some of my problem is that I eat bad food too fast, if we do happen to order pizza i need to learn how to eat slower, maybe use a fork and take my time.

I do now eat my pizza with a knife and fork and it does slow me down and brings me down to 3 slices instead of 4/5!

And a little update, post 'pizza binge' the following day those extra 0.6kgs came straight back off.. so OP don't feel too bad.