Had a slip up today, what to eat to fix it?

Options
2»

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Meh. Change 'fat' in your settings to 'saturated fat' and don't go over that.
    You shouldn't avoid fat in general. Just watch your intake on the bad, artery-clogging ones.

Saturated fat has little to no bearing on arterial cholesterol. One could say the only truly bad fat is trans fat... all others are fine in reasonable quantities.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Stop freaking out, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. Going over your calories and fat grams for one meal is not going to derail you. Eat as you normally would for the rest of the day. You may find that you're not near as hungry as usual because the fat and protein satiate you better.

↑↑↑↑
  • blmiller22
    blmiller22 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have 4 grams of protein LEFT for the day lol I am high in calories and protein I didn't know what to eat because you arent supposed to eat a lot of things like potatoes, breads, etc for supper and a plain salad just sounds like a hunger pain way to end the day
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do with a slip is log it, move on and eat normally. Don't get into a cycle of pennance and punishment or you're giving food too much power. In fact, periodically it's OK to make a choice to be off plan...as long as you can keep it to periodically.

Edit to add: I get waaaaaaaay over my protein every single day. Don't sweat it.
  • camillen73
    Options
    It's just one day out of a thousand. Count it as your splurge for the week. If you've been doing fine, just be more careful next time. Don't stress it so much. Eat a salad and exercise. Think about it this way, protein is GOOD. You've surely been under a few of days, right?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I have 4 grams of protein LEFT for the day lol I am high in calories and protein I didn't know what to eat because you arent supposed to eat a lot of things like potatoes, breads, etc for supper

That's nonsense. Eat whatever you like and worry about hitting your total calories and the 2 big macros (fats and protein). The rest don't matter enough to get this worked up about.

You're high in fats... that's good. You're high in protein... that's good too. All you have to do now is worry about your total cals for the day.
  • blmiller22
    blmiller22 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm wayyyyyyy over on my fats but I already know I can't rlly fix that
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I wasn't gonna like starve myseld no I was just curious what kind of proteins I should eat to correct it since I'm no where near how much I should have lol

If that was a real burger, it definitely had more than 4g of protein in it. Beyond that, stop freaking out...this is one day of many.
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Have soup? Or salad?
    I go with what everyone else is saying-
    Don't sweat it... just don't do it again tomorrow!
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I'm wayyyyyyy over on my fats but I already know I can't rlly fix that

It's ok... fats are good. They help with everything from hair and nails to cell structure.
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Meh. Change 'fat' in your settings to 'saturated fat' and don't go over that.
    You shouldn't avoid fat in general. Just watch your intake on the bad, artery-clogging ones.

Saturated fat has little to no bearing on arterial cholesterol. One could say the only truly bad fat is trans fat... all others are fine in reasonable quantities.

Ohh, see! I 'spose I still have quite a bit to learn. I still avoid trans fat like the plague though. :flowerforyou:
  • shearnerve
    shearnerve Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's a mistake. Just keep on track & don't worry about it. Next ask questions about all food.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    One meal won't sabotage a lifestyle.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Eat a balanced dinner tonight, then MOVE ON.
  • 1964Lynn
    Options
    Sounds like you are very dedicated, good for you. Everybody eats over their limit once in a while. You are doing fine.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    The way I see it is to not worry, and either treat it as a cheat day or balance it up over a week. You seem reasonably committed, so either way I don't see it as a big deal. Good luck!
  • jelr
    jelr Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    More then likely as others have mentioned your protein goals are understated anyway unless you have self adjusted your macro numbers with MFP. I pretty much aim for 40% carbs 30% Protein 30% fats. I try to actually hit more protein and less fat when I can but generally just watch my carbs. Don't be afraid to go over on your protein especially if you are working out.

As far as the calorie goal maybe being surpassed for the day don't worry about it eat a healthy meal for dinner and let that be that. Tomorrow is a new day and there will be days where you go over here or there. Especially if you want a lifestyle that when you stop eating at a deficit you can maintain with.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Your protein number is a target , not a limit.

Don't stress over one meal, and one day.

Would eating a salad for one meal make you skinny? No, and eating a burger for one meal won't make you gain fat.
    Look at your diet as a whole over the day/week/month, and don't stress about the little stuff.