Runners please advice

Options
Tuesday I had set a goal of running 5k, but could run 4K cause my boss called, I am thinking to run today.How much recovery time should I take, cause my muscles became really sore after running 4K in 24 mins, during running I have lot of energy and I don't feel anything.Can I just walk for next two days, or I should rest...I have been running since past 1 and a half month.I don't want to injure myself.Help!!

Replies

• prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    bump for quicker response!!
  • prium01
    Options
    bump, any advice.....
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Hi, I think from what you have said that you should have a rest day from running. I think walking for the next couple of days is an excellent idea. Then you can try running again on the third day. Make sure you walk for 5 mins to warm up before you start running, and stretch your muscles afterwards. This can help avoid the sore muscles. A certain amount of this is expected though, as you are in effect damaging the muscles when you do more activity than your body has been used to, and then your body heals them but the next time they are stronger and you will be able to do more. It sounds like you are cardiovascuarly quite fit but your muscles need to catch up. Don't worry about the rest days from running; it is important to take them if you want to make progress and avoid injury :)
  • prium01
    Options
    Hi, I think from what you have said that you should have a rest day from running. I think walking for the next couple of days is an excellent idea. Then you can try running again on the third day. Make sure you walk for 5 mins to warm up before you start running, and stretch your muscles afterwards. This can help avoid the sore muscles. A certain amount of this is expected though, as you are in effect damaging the muscles when you do more activity than your body has been used to, and then your body heals them but the next time they are stronger and you will be able to do more. It sounds like you are cardiovascuarly quite fit but your muscles need to catch up. Don't worry about the rest days from running; it is important to take them if you want to make progress and avoid injury :)

Thanks a lot for responding!I do warm up for 10 mins and stretch afterward.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Hi again.I guess you just need a rest day or two then, as you said :)
  • dalemckeown
    dalemckeown Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Generally how long you rest for depends on how you feel.

At a minimum always have a day of rest from running. Sometimes, and particularly if you havent ran in a while, you will get delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS), which will take 2 or 3 days to go away. I wouldn't like to run with DOMS.

Dale
  • prium01
    Options
    I just ran my first 5K in 33 minutes+ 5 mins of warm up.(500 meters).I am so happy.Will try to increase the mileage and speed.Thanks everyone! I don't even feel sore....I feel really happy...
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    good job. dont sweat it, run when you feel like it. I personally dont think it is a huge problem if you run 2 consecutive days as long as you dont hurt yourself.