Who has dogs?

Options
Hey, I find that walking my dog does wonders. It's enjoyment for me and the dogs and my daughter. Each week I walk faster and faster and further. I go to be careful as my puppy is only thirteen weeks so she can't go to far at once.
Additionally, pilates is brilliant, though I struggle to do some of their muscle work outs.
So who else finds that having dogs helps keep them healthy.
I have a border collie and a lurcher both dogs need to be exercised a lot daily :)

Replies

• LovnLifeInVT
    Options
    Snowshoeing or hiking with my pup is my favorite workout...being with her just melts all my worries away! My pup is 15 weeks and we go for 2 1/2 hours at a time on the weekends. She cannot wait for the long adventures and sleeps like a doll when we get back home! Lol. Enjoy your best friend, they are sooooo good for the soul.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I need to take the pups out they love our walks
  • ruthieg10
    ruthieg10 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Snowshoeing or hiking with my pup is my favorite workout...being with her just melts all my worries away! My pup is 15 weeks and we go for 2 1/2 hours at a time on the weekends. She cannot wait for the long adventures and sleeps like a doll when we get back home! Lol. Enjoy your best friend, they are sooooo good for the soul.

This is so true, some people call me sad for saying my dog is my best friend, but she really does make everything better, especially if i've had a really crappy day and i come home to her wanting cudlles!The best part of my day is going walking with her :-D xx
  • NatWillBeSkinny
    NatWillBeSkinny Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i have a little jack russell whos very naughty on the lead im sure ill get one muscly arm threw always pulling him back lol
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP soon after getting a puppy and it's definitely helped. Even if you don't feel like working out, they give you that look and you've just gotta get out there to walk them!
  • kirstyg1980
    Options
    I have 5 siberian huskies - now that's walking exercise for you lol

I also bikejor, canicross and run them on a rig (3 wheeled scooter, which mimics a sled, as we don't get much snow)
  • NatWillBeSkinny
    Options
    my cat is ragdoll x brisish blue and is just a big fat lazy cat who sleeps all day haha dont even know i have her most of the time
  • NatWillBeSkinny
    Options
    I have 5 siberian huskies - now that's walking exercise for you lol

I also bikejor, canicross and run them on a rig (3 wheeled scooter, which mimics a sled, as we don't get much snow)
    wow 5 siberian huskies!! i love those dogs u must be busy haha i had a bullmastif for 4 years and she was hard work with just one big dog
  • nezsorou
    Options
    I have four! A Cattle Dog/Pyrenees mix, a GSD mix, a Chow and a chow-husky mix! :) I can't walk them all at once tho. The Cattle Dog mix likes to bully the GSD mix, and the GSD mix hates dogs and it's very hard to control 95lbs of dog.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I have a daft chocolate lab and a little dog..I have a five acre field that's all fenced in so they just run around there.
  • Kimjanebrooks
    Kimjanebrooks Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I love my dog, I can leave the room for 5 minutes and when I come back he acts like he has not seen me in months.

Ha ha same as I my little boy Archie. He is 15 months old and is a jack a doodle (x jack russell and poodle). He is my life.

I also have 4 cats that Archie loves. He is terrified of my white cat though!
  • NatWillBeSkinny
    Options
    I love my dog, I can leave the room for 5 minutes and when I come back he acts like he has not seen me in months.

Ha ha same as I my little boy Archie. He is 15 months old and is a jack a doodle (x jack russell and poodle). He is my life.

my little jack russel is scared of my cat because the cat is bigger than him haha hes a very tiny jack russell
  • Kimjanebrooks
    Kimjanebrooks Posts: 253 Member
    Options

my little jack russel is scared of my cat because the cat is bigger than him haha hes a very tiny jack russell

Oh bless him!

All my other cats are scared of Ghost. They think he is so brave cause he isnt frightened of any noises or the hoover. They don't realise he is completely deaf!! lol
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have a golden retriever, Molly will be 2 years old next month - there are photos of her in my profile page. She's a crazy nutter (too much energy but hopefully as she gets older she'll quieten down a bit) but so much fun to take on walks. We walk at least five times a week in the forest, usually around 5km per walk - in the warmer months we go further, slushing through mud, up hills and through streams. It's a beautiful place to walk and we often see deer and other wildlife whilst we're out. She runs with me sometimes too but much prefers the long off-leash walks that we do.

I do pilates too and since starting have discovered that I need to work a lot more on my flexibility!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Please be careful when walking young pups - their bones are still forming. So limit the length of time (I think the guideline is 15 minutes for each month old they are, but I'll check that out) until they are over a year old.

My big dog Max, is a 5 year old Weimaraner, and he's my running companion.

My little dog Mini is a cocker spaniel - she's just a year and a half and I havent tried running with her yet, we're still working on "walking nicely on a lead!"
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Correction it's 5minutes per month.

So a 3month old pup should only get 15 minutes walk a day.
  • lyndalpn
    lyndalpn Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have four dogs - a male Samoyed (Laika) he's 13, two female Great Danes (Maggie and Grace) whoa re both 3 and a 8 year old female Shih Tzu called Bella who we adopted a week ago after our neighbours sold their house and were going to take her to pound as they "couldnt take her with them to the new house" (??!!). Laika is a bit old to walk very far now but the girls - Maggie, Grace and Bella - take me for a walk (4-6kms usually) every day after walk. Its funny, Maggie and Gracie are waist height and about 65kg each. Bella is a handful of dog - the size of a cat :) Its a funny sight!
  • MrDonivan
    MrDonivan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Monster Newfoundland
    not so monstrous St. Bernard
    Tiny little Yorkie

The monsters play the part of BED to the yorkie. playing around with those big things is a workout in itself.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    my two mean that I have to get out and about in all weathers. they act bonkers at night if they have not been far enough and I find that, though walking can be a chore as I am getting ready, once out and about I always enjoy it. I have a working golden lab (the skinny type) and a rottie crossed with a lab so both big, active dogs.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    We've got 3 dogs. The oldest is a mutt, about 55lbs. He's getting older and slowing down, but still likes to run and hike. Our Boston terrier can actually keep up with us on hikes;she did a 15 mile hike with us last spring.
    Our baby is about 65 lbs right now; an American bulldog. He's only 6 months old, so no long hikes or runs yet. He's good to about 2 miles.

I bought a bike trailer last year for the dogs, but the pup is a little too big. Won't be using it again until he's old enough to run alongside.