So is it normal?

Options
I 'pigged' out last night for valentines day (I say pigged out, but was still under calorie goal- and by that I mean, by about 6 calories!)
I havn't eaten for 16 hours now and still don't feel hungry enough to eat anythng. Is that normal? Is food supposed to fill you up for that amount of time, or is it the steak?

I say this as if I'm new to eating, more like new to 'normal' eating habits.

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Just eat when you're hungry and listen to what you're body is telling you.

If anyone below mentions starvation mode, ignore them.

You're golden.
  • lyndalpn
    lyndalpn Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Agree +++ Youve eaten too much, thats cool, your body is now telling you to give it a rest. So listen.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    It could be the steak doing it too. Higher protein (found in meats) is known to staff off hunger. Sounds like you had a great Valentines :) and I would say it probably is normal for what you had ate.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better...I am sure a lot of us did the same last night...including me. :bigsmile: We will get past this. Just go back to the healthy eating you were doing. I have to ask..just how did you manage to stay under your calories while eating that steak?
  • suzannekatherine
    suzannekatherine Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have to ask..just how did you manage to stay under your calories while eating that steak?

I was wondering that also.
  • jakkidoodles
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding and I walked about 4 miles yesterday too.......

My diary is open, should you care to take a look :)
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding and I walked about 4 miles yesterday too.......

My diary is open, should you care to take a look :)

Congrats on doing the best thing for your baby. Breastfeeding burns at least 500 calories a day.
  • jakkidoodles
    Options
    And just to make you all sick, I've also lost a pound overnight! :D Just goes to show how much crap I was eating previously really.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you've got a very weird definition of "pigged out" - my defintion of pigged out = 1000 calories over TDEE
  • jakkidoodles
    Options
    Well these days a 3 course meal with champers is pigging out for me. I have a lot to lose so it's important for me to stay on track. I've been on and off diets all my life. I've never been a size 12. My friend went from a 24 to a 10 in a year. she has been a real inspiration to me.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Well these days a 3 course meal with champers is pigging out for me. I have a lot to lose so it's important for me to stay on track. I've been on and off diets all my life. I've never been a size 12. My friend went from a 24 to a 10 in a year. she has been a real inspiration to me.

personally I find that allowing myself cheat meals (or whatever you want to call it) from time to time helps me to stay on track, it may even have a slight metabolism boosting effect. Eating for fat loss isn't an all or nothing thing. I follow the 90% rule, which is 90% healthy food and 10% what I want. It seems counter intuitive, but you're in this for the long haul. You're not eating 3 course meals with champagne every day. You eat them once in a while, so enjoy them without the guilt, then get right back on track the next day. Ignore any immediate weight gains, because that's mostly sodium and water which evens itself out in the next couple of days. Keeping the fat off for life means changing how you eat for life, and you don't want to give up all the foods you love for life, so finding ways to keep them as part of your eating plan, without guilt, really helps with long term compliance. That's what I've found (and I'm currently maintaining my new weight without difficulty) :flowerforyou:
  • jakkidoodles
    Options

personally I find that allowing myself cheat meals (or whatever you want to call it) from time to time helps me to stay on track, it may even have a slight metabolism boosting effect. Eating for fat loss isn't an all or nothing thing. I follow the 90% rule, which is 90% healthy food and 10% what I want. It seems counter intuitive, but you're in this for the long haul. You're not eating 3 course meals with champagne every day. You eat them once in a while, so enjoy them without the guilt, then get right back on track the next day. Ignore any immediate weight gains, because that's mostly sodium and water which evens itself out in the next couple of days. Keeping the fat off for life means changing how you eat for life, and you don't want to give up all the foods you love for life, so finding ways to keep them as part of your eating plan, without guilt, really helps with long term compliance. That's what I've found (and I'm currently maintaining my new weight without difficulty) :flowerforyou:

Oh I have no guilt at all ;) This time round I am not doing all or nothing, I am eating what I want within reason and enjoying the fruit and veg! I had a problem with a type of bulimia 3 years ago due to stress so my mental state is insanely important. Thankfully I have a very lovely supportive partner that tells me off if I get 'silly' and a baby relying on me for feeds. You guys are absolutely amazing, I'm meeting some awesome people on here, so thank you!
    And you are right, this is not a 'diet' it's a lifestyle change :D
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    normally i would agree with most other posters and say listen to your body - but you are breastfeeding, so i reckon 16hrs without eating might be too much. just have a light snack...for the baby. In your case its listen to your body and your babys :)
  • macaya5
    Options

Well done on enjoying your V day and staying on goal! I totally understand what you mean about "pigging out." Yesterday's breakfast was an egg white omelet with cheese and spinach, half a grapefruit and a mini whole grain bagel with reduced fat cream cheese. 383 calories but so much food!!!
  • jakkidoodles
    Options

Well done on enjoying your V day and staying on goal! I totally understand what you mean about "pigging out." Yesterday's breakfast was an egg white omelet with cheese and spinach, half a grapefruit and a mini whole grain bagel with reduced fat cream cheese. 383 calories but so much food!!!

Thank you :) I actually fell asleep at 8.30pm, much to my partner's annoyance ;) I did enjoy it though. It's amazing how much more food you can eat if you just switch to the lower calorie version. I was told by a nurse that I don't need to count calories, just watch my fat intake. She is also trying to lose weight. She asked me how I was doing it and I was tempted to say "by not listening to you!" ;)
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    i cant believe a nurse told you that. you mentioned she was trying to lose weight as well....kinda says it all. so you should try to get your fats from good sources but it is not the evil one - sugar is the devil, it will mess with your head and your babies, i counted calories when breast feeding and lost all of my weight. i just worry that if you dont have a regular top of of nutrients you will fall in a heap and you dont need to add to fatigue when you have a baby. good luck with your journey :)