Body Composition and Daily Calorie Intake Help!

Options
I recently used an InBody 230 Body Composition Analyzer at the gym.

This is the result:

Female. 44 yrs. Height 160 cm.

The columns have moved , I set it out so nicely too :sad: The second set of number is the normal range.

Weight 61.3 kg 46.8 – 63.3 kg

Muscle Mass 21.0 kg 20.9 - 25.5 kg

Body Fat Mass 22.2 kg 11.0 - 17.6 kg

Total Body Water 28.6 kg 28.0 – 34.3 kg

BMI 23.9 kg 18.5 – 25.0 kg

Body Fat 36.2% 18.0 – 28.0 %

Waist Hip Ratio 0.93 0.75 – 0.85

Basal Metabolic Rate 1215 1288 – 1492

Everybody says the usual "you don't need to lose weight" and "There's nothing of you" etc. :yawn:

But this just goes to show how you can look okay (in clothes!) yet actually be very unhealthy and risking your health through hidden fat and also have a BMI in the normal range.

I told friends about it and you know what they said? "oh don't take no notice of that machine, the gym do that on purpose so that you see results" :angry:

Anyway, I read this report then put it to one side. I picked it up again today (4 weeks later) and have just realised that I am eating 1200 calories a day and from reading this site that is actually too low and according to the report I am actually under my BMR!

I am doing pump and toning classes 3 - 4 x per week but otherwise am quite sedentary.

I would like opinions on how many calories I should eat?

Do you think these machines are accurate?

and

Any other advice you might like to pass on.

Thank you :smile:

Replies

• rachealmiles
    Options
    Bump :cry:
  • rachealmiles
    Options
    Nobody interested then :-(
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Check out the thread in place of a roadmap. There is a lot of great advice there!

How much weight do you want to lose? If you don't have a lot to lose and are closer to your goal the best thing to do would be to focus on strength training and gaining muscle. Which means eating at a slight surplus and lifting heavy heavy weights. Muscle will chang ethe look of your body so much!
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    I don't know anything about the machine you're referring to, but it sounds like you do not have any weight to lose, correct? So you should be eating at maintenance, or your TDEE (google it to find a calculator). For body recomposition (reducing body fat while retaining your lean muscle), find a good weight-lifting program that works for you - Stronglifts, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women - and eat plenty of protein!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Here is the link, eat close to your TDEE and more strength resistance/training to reduce your BF%.. people may lose weight eating 1200 calories and think all is great, til they realize its been mostly muscle and some fat.. slow and steady is the way to go to preserve and muscle and drop BF%