Dieting and Subways

Options
I have always always loved subways. They are amazing. However since starting dieting I have been fairly confused about them. I had always thought they were fairly healthy (If you ignore the carbs from the bread) but trying to find out how many cals per sub is impossible! MFP has soo many different calories for very similar subs that i dont know which one i should be accepting as accurate.
Also youve got they guy who lost lk stones on the subway diet. so must be you know, kinda healthyish.
Today im gonna have my first sub in about 7 weeks which is major record for me, so i wanna pick one thats gonna be fairly good but with all the yummy subway taste. Let me know what you think and which subway is your favourite, whether or not its the healthiest one ;) We all have a subway secret somewhere.

Replies

• casscamp
    casscamp Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The best way to record ur calories for a place that is a build ur own is to go on their website and create the sub just as u would. It has a calorie estimator on the subway website. My personal favorite is chicken teriyaki.
  • Tats1000
    Tats1000 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that. How do I create my own foods?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Firstly, go for a 6 inch not a 12.
    Choose your bread (they have all the calorie counts displayed on the cabinet, dont they?)

I usually skip the cheese, as I can never taste it in amonsgt all the other stuff.

Ham, turkey, chicken are all good choices. Leave the meatball marinara alone!

Load up on all the salad you like.

Choose a lower calorie dressing (my favourite is sweet onion)

And skip the cokes, crisps and cookies. Have a bottle of water.

That should come in around 400-500 calories.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Love Subway! We don't go often, but I know we're going next week as daughter is on holiday and we'll be in town. I figure its a healthier option than McDonald's. I ALWAYS get the Ham, a bit of cheddar cheese, all the veg but for green peppers(make me burp) and cucumbers(give me heartburn) and sweet onion sauce on top. Oh and I get it on the whole grain option. I always get a water and skip the crisps. Its a nice treat every once in awhile. I think the mustard and no cheese would make it a bit healthier...but I figure I should just get it the way I like it and be done with it.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    All the calorie count is on the website. Subway is actually one of the easiest 'fast food' restaurants to eat at within your calorie limit. You could get a 6 inch packed sub for 400 cals, no problem.
  • PastyAddict
    Options
    Www.subway.co.uk have all the calories listed per sub

click low fat subs for choices

my 13 year old daughter chooses subway over McDonalds every time
  • Anthony110101111110001101
    Options
    Yeah I used their website to build my normal sub and just recorded that as a food in my food. When I order I get them to hollow out the bread and ask for only a little sauce etc
  • Anthony110101111110001101
    Options
    And to create a food go to food > my food and create away.
  • elephant_in_the_room
    Options
    All the calorie count is on the website. Subway is actually one of the easiest 'fast food' restaurants to eat at within your calorie limit. You could get a 6 inch packed sub for 400 cals, no problem.
    All their calorie counts on their website are only true if you order a sub without cheese or dressing. And that's quite unusual, so I was told by an employee once.
    The turkey one is one of the best ones in that regard. Choose what vegetables/salad you like.
    Here in Au, you don't even need to go to the website, the calories are displayed on the menu in the restaurant.
  • cjlorigan
    cjlorigan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Go t o Subway's website and build your own sub/meal. It will give you the nutritional values and you can print out your sub so you don't forget what you want on it when you get there. I just did it yesterday and my 6" subway melt came in at 360 calories. I ordered:

SUBWAY MELT 2 - 6" wheat, spinach, bacon, tomatoes, honey mustard no chz

and I just entered it as one of my foods. I'll eat the other 6" today. The $5 FebruANY special makes it nice for a cheap 2 day lunch.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    This thread has made me want a subway so bad I've just ordered one to pick up at lunch. :laugh:

6 inch chicken teriyaki with sweet onion sauce, lettuce, cucumber, onion and peppers. 354 cals and 28g of protein. Not bad!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    are only true if you order a sub without cheese or dressing. And that's quite unusual, so I was told by an employee once.

I do that all the time. Guess I'm unusual. Thank god, because let's be honest, is there anyone here who wants to "look" like the usual fast food patron?