Post cheat meal guilt

Options
Long story short, I lost 30 pounds over the course of several months through cardio six times a week and paying attention to how much I eat but still eating what I want. Well since January I've tried to start actually eating healthy. Not only do I only drink water, I eat foods that are nutritious and pay attention to my carb sodium and fat intake. No fried foods. It's been awesome. I'm now incorporating resistance training and light weights to tone up a bit and look exactly like my goal. I've reached the weight goal, I just mean a more lean yet lady like look with a nice flat belly. I know healthy diet is important to a flat tummy. Well last night I decided to splurge a bit for the very first time (other than maybe a single cookie I've had along the way) and eat a yummy dinner I missed with my valentine. Mexican! I got take out for him...for myself I prepared grilled chicken to fill a wheat soft taco. I ate pita chips instead of the fried given chips. All in an effort to stay as healthy as possible. My splurge was the cheese dip, which I drizzled a bit over my soft taco and also ate with pita chips. I didn't exercise yesterday, so that will probably be my day off for the week. I plan to go hard today. However, ever since I ate I feel so guilty about the good bit of cheese dip I consumed. I also ate a few more chips than the serving size. Is this normal? Am I being obsessive? Is this one cheat meal gonna detour my progress? Is it okay to allow myself one cheat MEAL every few weeks or have a cookie or two from time to time if I continue cardio 6x a week, resistance training 3 days a week, and eating healthy the rest of the time. Thanks I'm just looking for some insight.

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Its a bit of cheese think of the calcium and vitamin D you just gave yourself. Tht wasnt much of a cheat meal if you ask me. I dont know if I didnt allow life to happen and bend and flex and have fun with my food I would have given up long ago. Dont feel guilty and dont kill yourself with exercise. I can imagine your body was starving for some nice fatty acids too.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Long story short, I lost 30 pounds over the course of several months through cardio six times a week and paying attention to how much I eat but still eating what I want. Well since January I've tried to start actually eating healthy. Not only do I only drink water, I eat foods that are nutritious and pay attention to my carb sodium and fat intake. No fried foods. It's been awesome. I'm now incorporating resistance training and light weights to tone up a bit and look exactly like my goal. I've reached the weight goal, I just mean a more lean yet lady like look with a nice flat belly. I know healthy diet is important to a flat tummy. Well last night I decided to splurge a bit for the very first time (other than maybe a single cookie I've had along the way) and eat a yummy dinner I missed with my valentine. Mexican! I got take out for him...for myself I prepared grilled chicken to fill a wheat soft taco. I ate pita chips instead of the fried given chips. All in an effort to stay as healthy as possible. My splurge was the cheese dip, which I drizzled a bit over my soft taco and also ate with pita chips. I didn't exercise yesterday, so that will probably be my day off for the week. I plan to go hard today. However, ever since I ate I feel so guilty about the good bit of cheese dip I consumed. I also ate a few more chips than the serving size. Is this normal? Am I being obsessive? Is this one cheat meal gonna detour my progress? Is it okay to allow myself one cheat MEAL every few weeks or have a cookie or two from time to time if I continue cardio 6x a week, resistance training 3 days a week, and eating healthy the rest of the time. Thanks I'm just looking for some insight.

Yes, I'd say you are being obsessive.

Just like one meal of eating salad won't make a fat person skinny, one day of eating higher calories isn't going to make a person fatter.

look at the bigger picture. You are not going to live the rest of your life never going out and enjoying a special occassion. you need to stop feeling guilty about the occassional treat and be happy with the fact that 90% of the time you are on plan.
  • wash5150
    Options
    My cheat meals involve full plates of nachos from Hard Rock along with their Legendary burger. I think you are good. Remember how many calories it takes to maintain and if you plan on exercising and keeping up with your normal calories throughout the week it will all come out in the wash.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a pretty standard meal for me.... :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:
  • applekrisp1988
    Options
    Uh...you're just being obsessive. Live and enjoy life, don't be "guilty" because you ate some cheese dip or something, jeez.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Ha ha! Get a grip of yourself!
  • eddamyts
    eddamyts Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    FACT: you are maintaining a healthy lifestyle and weight.
    LIE: thoughts that say "see, you've blown it".
    Stick with the facts.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think you're being a little bit obsessive although it is understandable. If you condition yourself to think that certain foods are bad then you will always feel guilty. Now that you've reached your goal weight (congrats on that), maybe try relaxing things a little bit. Don't call it a cheal meal for one because that in itself implies you're doing something that you shouldn't be and ultimately, it's only food. As someone else has said, you don't lose weight by eating one salad and you're not gonna put on weight having one higher calorie meal. You say your diet is extremely healthy and you clearly workout a lot so no, it's unlikely to derail your process and may even help you. Add a few of those things that you enjoy but aren't necessarily 'good for you' every now and again. Food is not just fuel, it's also meant to be enjoyed. So enjoy it and don't worry.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Uh...you're just being obsessive. Live and enjoy life, don't be "guilty" because you ate some cheese dip or something, jeez.

This exact sentence. X 1 million.
  • Pooch3s
    Pooch3s Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Nothing about this makes me believe its a CHEAT meal at all. You sound exactly like my sister. She freaks out because I make her eat a good breakfast and she says "I dont wanna get fat again". Everyone needs to relax. I too lost alot of weight, about 96lbs. And what you ate is not a cheat, now when i cheat on my diet I will CHEEEEEAAAT. IHOP style or chinese, or pizza or a big fat burger and fries followed by a piece of cake or pie or ice cream. If you deprive yourself too much itll drive you insane. I once went 3 months straight not cheating on a diet and I though i was going to choke someone on a daily basis. Cheating is important so dont feel bad for it. your fine.
  • garciabnm
    garciabnm Posts: 138
    Options
    my cheat meal usually cosisits of cheese fries, chili cheese burger, and a few beers. maybe some apple to finish the deal. Do i feel guilty about it?. Usually. For a few hours till i go to sleep. When i wake up the next day, its a new start.You need it once in a while, like one of the posters above said, your body craves the carbs, and suger. As long as its not a weekly habit, I say why not, es[ecially if you are working out as much as you do. Enjoy life!
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I've got a friend here who had her cheat meal recently. Over 2700 calories. And it was great for her. She needed it, we laughed about it. And she was down 3 pounds this weigh in.

Yours doesn't even qualify as a a cheat snack or cheat appetizer. Yup, obsessive.

This weight loss journey we are on is not some sort of cosmic punishment we are doomed to suffer for all eternity like Sisyphus and the rock. If you can't enjoy things, if you can't enjoy life in the least bit at all, why both with it. Live life a little. Enjoy. But in moderation.
  • swhiteism
    swhiteism Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yes, you overdid it. Your weight loss journey is ruined!
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    On my 24 hr refeed period I eat:

- Over 8,000+ calories (mainly Pop parts, Ben & Jerry's, pizza, etc.)
    - Aim for 1000g+ Carbs

... I regret nothing <_<;