Confused + Overwhelmed. TOO MUCH INFO!

Options
Hey everyone!

I've recently become VERY overwhelmed by all the contradicting information I've been given by bother members of the MFP community and also people in my own life. I'd really love it if someone could just answer my questions all at once so I'm not feeling so overwhelmed and confused trying to pick bits from different places. Simply, I want something that will WORK.

So, I always thought that putting everything aside, weight loss is simply a matter of calories in, calories out. Create a deficit/ consume less calories than your body would burn each day and you will lose weight. I know that there are other factors, but that's pretty much it, right?

Well, I've been getting told that I shouldn't go over XXX amount of carbs per day and XXX amount of fat, but to have XXX amount of protein. Almost as though even if I'm eating at a deficit suitable for me, if I have too many carbs, BOOM game over, not going to lose anything. Is this really true?

Also, how much exercise should I be doing? I'm currently doing the 30DS and I find myself burning between 300 - 360 calories. Is this enough? And following on from there, am I supposed to supplement my diet in some shape of form due to this exercise.

It seems to me that since I have begun taking on board other people's information, I haven't lose anything. I'm getting so discouraged even though I lost 7 kilograms on my own in a matter of weeks by simply eating regularly, drinking water and green tea. BUT, I got so many negative comments saying that I'll 'gain it back straight away', 'that wasn't fat at all, simply water weight'. I'm aware that you initially lose water weight, but 7 kilos? COME ON, give me a break.

The first 'hurdle' was when I celebrated my boyfriends birthday and ate some cake a few weeks ago, I gained 2 kilos from water weight and have only recently lost it.

An example of the diet which WORKED for me, or so I thought.
Breakfast: 2 cups Nutrigrain w/ 2% milk.
Morning snack: 2 banana and some blueberries.
Lunch: Salad w/ italian dressing. OR cup a soup with toast.
Dinner: Home made vegetable soup.
At least 2 litres of water a day + 3 - 5 cups of green tea. I didn't exercise during this period.

Any advice? Thanks in advance, I know this is a long post.

Replies

• brookelynhoneycutt
    Options
    I definitely do not mean to be discouraging, but if you are posting on a public forum to ask for advice in an attempt to avoid contradicting information, I think you will be disappointed. You are only receiving the opinions of others which will always be contradicting. We people, by nature, are so contrary! :tongue:

Everyone's body is different and reacts differently. For some, it is very easy to lose weight; for others, it is much more difficult. IMO, eating clean is the best for your body. We were meant to "eat the rainbow"!

That being said, this is my opinion. I think the best way to avoid confusion is to research for yourself. Find articles, health journals, literature that speaks to and works for you. Find a nutritionist or personal trainer in your area to perform an assessment on you.

Good luck!
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I've recently become VERY overwhelmed by all the contradicting information I've been given by bother members of the MFP community and also people in my own life. I'd really love it if someone could just answer my questions all at once so I'm not feeling so overwhelmed and confused trying to pick bits from different places. Simply, I want something that will WORK.

So, I always thought that putting everything aside, weight loss is simply a matter of calories in, calories out. Create a deficit/ consume less calories than your body would burn each day and you will lose weight. I know that there are other factors, but that's pretty much it, right?

Well, I've been getting told that I shouldn't go over XXX amount of carbs per day and XXX amount of fat, but to have XXX amount of protein. Almost as though even if I'm eating at a deficit suitable for me, if I have too many carbs, BOOM game over, not going to lose anything. Is this really true?

Also, how much exercise should I be doing? I'm currently doing the 30DS and I find myself burning between 300 - 360 calories. Is this enough? And following on from there, am I supposed to supplement my diet in some shape of form due to this exercise.

It seems to me that since I have begun taking on board other people's information, I haven't lose anything. I'm getting so discouraged even though I lost 7 kilograms on my own in a matter of weeks by simply eating regularly, drinking water and green tea. BUT, I got so many negative comments saying that I'll 'gain it back straight away', 'that wasn't fat at all, simply water weight'. I'm aware that you initially lose water weight, but 7 kilos? COME ON, give me a break.

The first 'hurdle' was when I celebrated my boyfriends birthday and ate some cake a few weeks ago, I gained 2 kilos from water weight and have only recently lost it.

An example of the diet which WORKED for me, or so I thought.
    Breakfast: 2 cups Nutrigrain w/ 2% milk.
    Morning snack: 2 banana and some blueberries.
    Lunch: Salad w/ italian dressing. OR cup a soup with toast.
    Dinner: Home made vegetable soup.
    At least 2 litres of water a day + 3 - 5 cups of green tea. I didn't exercise during this period.

Any advice? Thanks in advance, I know this is a long post.

Well if you really want the answers as to what is best.. don't go by what anyone else says. Do some Google searches from repitable sites. Like the American Heart Association. etc. Or look up recommended Carbs per day, or protein etc.. But make sure it is a repitable site.

I guess my question to you is... They way you diet (that works for you). Can you see your self eat like that the rest of your life? If the answer is no, then you need to adjust it. Losing weight isn't a quick fix, it is a total life change.

Now on the Carb question. From my experience.. Yes too many carbs if the wrong kind will make it harder to lose weight. (the starchy kind.. potatoes, corn, peas, lima beans, cakes, muffins, etc. Now there is nothing wrong with eatting these foods once in awhile in moderation. (I have an open food diary, but you can not go on my food diary on carbs. I am a type 2 diabetic and diabetics have to really limit their carbs to keep their sugars down.

Use trial and error of what works for you. Remember, every one on this site is people like you and me.. What works for one, may not work for another.

I do highly recommend you do some serches to see what your body requirements are for the values you are questioning.

Good luck and remember, do what works for you, but keep it healthy eating.. not fast fad diets.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I'd love to answer all of your questions, I pretty much did... Then I deleted it all when I read this...
    even though I lost 7 kilograms on my own in a matter of weeks by simply eating regularly, drinking water and green tea. BUT, I got so many negative comments saying that I'll 'gain it back straight away', 'that wasn't fat at all, simply water weight'. I'm aware that you initially lose water weight, but 7 kilos? COME ON, give me a break.

Do what you were doing and IGNORE everybody who speaks to you about it for the rest of your life.

You are no more or no less likely to put weight on after you've lost it no matter what people say.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    If it were me? I would just keep doing what you were doing before.

Your diet is a little unbalanced admittedly but after you have obtain confidence that your overall calorie level is about right for fat loss you can work on adding in small changes...
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    short answers,

yes for weight loss, not for health

partly, some foods can skew loss

depends on food, but should be fine... get HRM if don't already have one.

keep doing what you are doing
  • allforthethrill
    allforthethrill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the answers, I really, really appreciate it.
    I think it's just a bit (or a lot) of self doubt occurring right now. Hah.
    I feel like no matter what I do, even if I go back to what I thought worked, I won't lose anything, blah blah. I'll give it another shot, thank goodness MFP will let me track back through my diary to see the foods I ate on my successful couple of weeks.

And once again, thank you.
  • allforthethrill
    allforthethrill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'd love to answer all of your questions, I pretty much did... Then I deleted it all when I read this...
    even though I lost 7 kilograms on my own in a matter of weeks by simply eating regularly, drinking water and green tea. BUT, I got so many negative comments saying that I'll 'gain it back straight away', 'that wasn't fat at all, simply water weight'. I'm aware that you initially lose water weight, but 7 kilos? COME ON, give me a break.

Do what you were doing and IGNORE everybody who speaks to you about it for the rest of your life.

You are no more or no less likely to put weight on after you've lost it no matter what people say.

THANK YOU!

However, I have one last question. Should I give up the 30DS as it wasn't a part of my initial successful weight loss plan?
  • Fibergurl
    Options
    You have to tailor your plan for yourself. It might help to read old post and blogs at the community. Good luck to you on your journey!
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    However, I have one last question. Should I give up the 30DS as it wasn't a part of my initial successful weight loss plan?

If you enjoy doing it, then do it.

See how you look after 2 weeks or so and if you're not happy then stop.
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    what works for me, may not work for you. what works for your other pals, may not work for you. You have to find your sweet spot, an exercise you love and stop dieting - decide to live healthy and active and you will stay healthy and active. people will judge you, put you down then kick you. Then when you are at your goal they will ask you how you did it. This journey is 20% training, 80% diet and another 110% mental!!! Trust you, listen to your body and have patience :)
  • lizblizz28
    Options

THANK YOU!

I wouldn't. Exercise can only be good for you. Even if you don't see an associated weight loss while exercising, you will still be a healthier person for it, which I think is an even better result.