protein grrr

Options
Hi everyone

Ive been going over my daily protein goal every day is this really bad??

I find it so hard to stay under, iv been dooin mega amounts of exercise aswell!

Lisa xx

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Nope. You're gonna survive so don't sweat it and carry on as normal.
  • minimizer13
    Options
    aww good thanks! :) xx
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Actually too much protein day in and day out can hurt your kidneys.. They say women should get no more than 75 (high end) and men no more than 100 (high end).
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Not a problem especially since you are exercising a lot.
  • ipiddock
    ipiddock Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    As long as you're flushing your kidneys with plenty of water you're just fine.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I've never seen recommendations as low as 75 for women and 100 for men - where did that come from?
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Actually too much protein day in and day out can hurt your kidneys.. They say women should get no more than 75 (high end) and men no more than 100 (high end).

Nonsense, absolute poppycock
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    No its not bad , i dont know why mfp sets it so low i eat 200g protein a day
  • Graham_077
    Graham_077 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    75g protein per day for a female is not high. You would have to be eating a huge amount of protein every day to do any damage. As said above keep well hydrated and there won’t be a problem.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

Ut Oh....those "They" people are at it again.

I aim for 100-150 grams per day and sometimes go as high as 170. You should be fine if you are also getting a solid amount of carbs and fat.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    No its not bad , i dont know why mfp sets it so low i eat 200g protein a day

YOU GONNA ESPLODE MAN GO BOOM YOU EAT FIBER IF NOT YOU GONNA GO BOOM!
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options

Cite, please?
    I'm eating well into 90 - 150g per day. :c
  • Mypie07
    Options
    FROM WEBMD:What Are Proteins?
    Proteins are nutrients that are essential to the building, maintenance, and repair of body tissue such as the skin, the internal organs, and muscle. They are also the major components of our immune system and hormones.

Proteins are made up of substances called amino acids -- 22 are considered vital for health. Of these, the adult body can make 14; the other eight (called essential amino acids) can only be obtained from what we eat.

Proteins are found in all types of food, but only fish, meat, poultry, eggs, cheese, and other foods from animal sources contain complete proteins, meaning they provide the other eight essential amino acids.

Your daily diet must contain enough protein to replenish these amino acids. Thus, if you are vegetarian and do not eat food from animal sources, you need to eat a variety of plant proteins in combination to ensure that you get enough of the essential amino acids. Examples of foods that provide plant protein include soy, nuts, seeds, legumes, vegetables, and whole grains.

The new dietary reference values for protein for adults are 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight. This translates to about 0.36 grams of protein per pound.

However, over the course of a day, the average American diet includes almost double the protein needed to help maintain a healthy body. Using the chart below, you can easily calculate how much protein your body needs.

Adult Weight Suggested Daily Grams of Protein
    100 36
    125 45
    150 54
    175 63
    200 72
    225 81
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    MFP sets my protein at 128 daily.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    So those figures would be minimums then?
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I spoke with my doctor about protein intake because I started lifting for size about a year ago and really wanted to know what I should be taking in and what is to much. His recommendation per some medical journal he pulled out and and let me read, 1 gram of protein per lb, of course like some of the other posters said its important to increase your water intake when taking in excessive amounts of protein (75g+) or more so that whatever your body doesnt use your kidneys will be able to process in a more efficent manor. If you are really concerned about taking in to much protein, most pharmacys will sell Keto sticks and you can test the ketons in your blood (excess protein), and that will let you know if you are two high or not, but with a normal diet normal exercise and plenty of water you should be fine.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options

That isn't true.

EDIT: Unless you are eating way over 35% protein a day (not 75g - 100g unless you are barely eating any calories...), then it could cause health issues but it would have to be a substantial amount of protein daily for quite some time.
  • robweaver77
    Options
    It is incorrect that large amounts of protein harms one's kidneys, unless one has an underlying kidney disorder. I would venture to say that the reason a lot of people are obese is due to a lack of protein.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/protein-controversies.html
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I suggest you customize your daily settings. Protein is your friend if you are lifting weights.

Here is a discussion from a PHd researcher and bodybuilder that I respect. In this he discusses the scientific research and real life test cases.

http://www.biolayne.com/nutrition/low-protein-diet-helpful-for-kidneys-i-dont-think-so/
  • pullem
    pullem Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It is incorrect that large amounts of protein harms one's kidneys, unless one has an underlying kidney disorder. I would venture to say that the reason a lot of people are obese is due to a lack of protein.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/protein-controversies.html

^^ This