Eating Clean

Options
carolinaf6
carolinaf6 Posts: 34 Member
Does anyone "eat clean" and if so, could you tell me how would I do so? recipes, advice, general overview....all would be helpful! thanks!

Replies

• blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    LOVE tOSCO rENO, SHE HAS ALL THE eAT CLEAN DIET BOOKS!!
  • LaTerri
    LaTerri Posts: 42
    Options
    I eat pretty clean. I guess there are different degrees of this. I have not read any books on it, so I might be way off base...

For me, it means, no processed foods, organic, and home cooked.

This is tough to do, but I make up batches of stuff and portion it up and freeze it or make enough for just a few days and keep in the fridge for a quick meal. I eat 6 times a day.

bfast = 8egg whites with homemade pico de gallo, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 2oz apple sauce, 1/4 cup blueberries
    + 2.5 hrs = 1 1/2 scoop egg white protein powder+ 2oz sweet potato, eat 6 almonds
    + 2.5 hrs = 5oz ground turkey + home made tomato, zuchinni, spinach sauce + 1/2 cup rice
    +2.5 hrs = 1 1/2 scoop egg white protein powder+ 2oz sweet potato + green apple
    +2.5 hrs = 5oz flank steak + 4oz yam + 1/2 c green beans
    +2.5 hrs = 8 egg whites with homemade pico de gallo

I make sauces to go on my food in advance and freeze them in portions. When I make my protein, I grab a bag of sauce and cook it with it or pour it on top at the end. I seperate my eggs in advance and make my pico de gallo in advance for the week. I have to make a menu at the beginning of the week so that I only go to the store once. Since most of my food is fresh, going to the store can take up a lot of time if I don't plan right...

I drink the two protein shakes because I can't eat that much food in a day. It is probably not looked at as a clean food. I use Jay Robbs protein drink mix, which has no artificial sweetners in it, so maybe it is ok... not sure on that.
  • oceangal71
    oceangal71 Posts: 1
    Options
    ANY of Tosca Reno's books would be great to have. I started with the Clean Eating magazine and then bought The Eat Clean Diet Recharged. I lost 5 pounds and about 3 inches off my body in the first 5 days. Eating clean is no or minimally processed foods, no refined/packaged foods. Basically lots of fresh fruit/veg, natural meats (preferably organic) and no, and I mean absolutely NO white sugar, flour, rice or bread. Use natural sweeteners such as dehydrated cane juice, agave, stevia but no white sugar. Whole wheat flour as well as other types of flours such as spelt, but no white flour, such as your typical all purpose flour. No white bread or rice as they are also more processed and/or refined and stripped of natural goodness. Brown rice is great as are whole grain breads baked without sugar or the dreaded high fructose corn syrup. Lots of label reading and it's overwheliming to start. It was easier for me to start with the magazine and go from there. Once you become very familiar with it, it's a very easy lifestyle to follow and you feel AMAZING!
  • Soon2beskinny73
    Soon2beskinny73 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Eating clean for me is :

* no processed foods
    * no sugar, bread , rice of ANY KIND (I avoid it all)
    * I drink mostly water throughout the day (up to 100 oz. per day) and I keep diet sodas to a minimum)
    * no dairy ( for me this one is harder but I try)
    * all organic or natural meats and poultry
    * lots and lots of veggies

It's definitely worth it to eat clean although like the others said it is a little overwhelming at first but once you figure things out and get into it then it becomes easy to adjust too. And you do feel absolutely wonderful!!! Good luck!
  • carolinaf6
    carolinaf6 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    THank you all so much! I want to start today. I have double fiber bread that of course has sugar in it. I will trade that out for my Alvarado street bakery bread that is amazing for you with very few ingredients. I am going to cut out all dairy, which usually just adds fat and calories that do nothing for me. I am excited to start! I have my bag of nuts, fruit, and steamed broccoli with me for lunch. I feel like I am off to a good start.
  • tatorbug
    tatorbug Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Check out the Clean eating magazine. It will help get you going and inspired. If you like it consider a subscription as it is pricey to buy it issue by issue. Her cook books are great. Check out www.amazon.com for good prices on all of her books. Tasco also has a web site. I found much of my information online.

If you can find Ezekiel bread that is a great bread that is flavorful and very high in protein. You will feel very energetic by choosing this eating lifestyle. The older one gets the more important this becomes.

I will keep you posted of any recipes in particular from her book that I try, and pass them on to you. Everyone is right, it will take a bit to get use to this way of eating, but just keep working at it. Good luck : ) Be creative and have fun with it!
  • jurgitafit
    jurgitafit Posts: 112
    Options
    I see you've got some good advice here. :smile: I am trying to eat clean and to cook meals myself whenever I can. I love salads with fish, chicken, other proteins (just make sure you don't add any fatty store-bought dressings; the best one is fresh lemon juice with some olive oil and spices); I also like cooked/steamed veggies, lots of fresh fruit and not too many whole grains (whole grain bread is better than white, but even the whole grains should be eaten in moderation). :wink:

Just a basic idea of clean eating is--- eating the foods that are in as natural state as possible, no "fat-free" processed things and other stuff that is often incorrectly marketed as "healthy." Always pay attention to the ingredients and look for simplicity.

The healthiest foods in the world are the ones that come fresh, have no added colors, sugars or preservatives. :smile:

Wishing you the best on your path of eating healthy!
    Actually, earlier today I've created a post, encouraging others to lose weight eating natural foods. You can check it here if you'd like: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/97406-a-public-food-diary-with-a-goal-in-mind
  • chgraham
    chgraham Posts: 122
    Options
    I just found this thread. I have been eating clean now for 3 weeks and I love it. I am one who would rather cook at home, rather than eat out. After reading Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Recharged, I have realized that most of the meals I normally cook for my family are already fairly "clean".

I have found some really yummy recipes in the book as well as in the Clean Eating magazine (even hubby likes some). I don't find that it hard to keep up with and it is easy to prepare some staples ahead of time and just grab as needed.

My daughter laughs at me everytime I have sweet potato, to me that is my "candy". This Sunday we are heading to my in-laws for a BBQ and I am bringing my own supper (fish, asparagus, sweet potato) all ready to put on the BBQ while they all have steak or hamburgers or hot dogs.

I find it hard to get all my calories (1200) in during the day, as I am full after eating everything I do. But I have never felt BETTER :happy:
  • dbrownson
    dbrownson Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The best advice you will EVER hear if you want to eat clean is:

"Keep your house clean."

If it's in your house, you WILL eat it.