All you runners, and obstacle course lovers...

I am doing a "tough mounain challenge" in July. I believe the obstacle course is 3.5 miles long. There will be hills, things to climb through, under, around, mud, barbed wire etc.
http://www.toughmountain.com
This is the link to the site.
What do you all think of this race? It will be my first. I want to finish in under an hour. I workout everyday, but mostly claisthenics. Once it is warmer (end of march or so), I will start jogging, and running some, which will obviously be good training for this race. What I need to know is, what do or have you done to prepare for somethig like this? I am a severe asthmatic, and want to do well with this to prove to myself that my workouts are helping with making me feel better, and improving my stamina etc. What do you all suggest for workouts to prepare? Foods to eat (special shakes etc.), and what should I think of wearing for gear?
I look forward to this race, and hopefully more in the future. I also look forward to your help and suggestions!!

Replies

• jrue1985
    jrue1985 Posts: 191 Member
    bump
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    I ran a 5km dirty donkey mud run. It was so much fun and I loved it. It took me about 38 minutes... honestly, I had so much fun that I forget how long it took.

What I found was that unless you are front of the pack, your time will be impacted by the obstacle design and the people in front of you, it is out of your control if they don't design the obstacles to get enough people through. I was near the front and still ended up waiting almost 4 minutes before my 'turn' to get through one of the obstacles.

Technically, be sure you can run the distance, but you'll be doing short bursts... Run a bit, do an obstacle, run a bit do an obstacle.

The only thing I would have done differently was:
    a) do stairs... stairs stairs stairs. we had a pile of hill climbing and my legs sucked out near the end.
    b) don't worry about the bruises and dress to have fun
    c) keep your mouth closed when crawling through the mud pits, lol
    d) enjoy yourself!

It was the most fun I've had in ages, and I'm TOTALLY stoked to go again!!!
  • jrue1985
    I ran a 5km dirty donkey mud run. It was so much fun and I loved it. It took me about 38 minutes... honestly, I had so much fun that I forget how long it took.

What I found was that unless you are front of the pack, your time will be impacted by the obstacle design and the people in front of you, it is out of your control if they don't design the obstacles to get enough people through. I was near the front and still ended up waiting almost 4 minutes before my 'turn' to get through one of the obstacles.

Technically, be sure you can run the distance, but you'll be doing short bursts... Run a bit, do an obstacle, run a bit do an obstacle.

The only thing I would have done differently was:
    a) do stairs... stairs stairs stairs. we had a pile of hill climbing and my legs sucked out near the end.
    b) don't worry about the bruises and dress to have fun
    c) keep your mouth closed when crawling through the mud pits, lol
    d) enjoy yourself!

It was the most fun I've had in ages, and I'm TOTALLY stoked to go again!!!

Thanks for the stairs idea!! I know where there are a few hills that I plan on training on. I need to find good shorts that won't ride up my crack as I run hahahahaha!!! And, I will be sure to keep my mouth shut :-) I am starting the race at 130, the heats start every 15 minutes from 9am til 3 pm, so I guess I may end up waiting some :-( As long as I finish within an hour, I will be happy!!
  • HJMAYES
    HJMAYES Posts: 72 Member
    Good luck! It sounds like fun - I would love to go to Maine someday. I did one last year called the Warrior Dash. I did okay (just under 50 mins for a 5k) but the one thing that really slowed me down was the water portion. I'm not sure if you are going to have a water portion on this race, but it was difficult for me to pull myself soaking wet out of the water and onto a platform in the middle of a lake. So I guess I would have worked on my upper body strength a bit more.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    I did the Warrior Dash last summer. It was HOT. We had a mid day start time. My hubby and I did it together. Overall it was a fun experience. We brought our 12 & 14 year olds with us to watch. They laughed. The obstacle part was fun. That being said, I'm a runner at heart and like to go out and run hard. With events like this, that is nearly impossible. You get bogged down and sometimes have to wait in line to participate in the obstacle. My husband is NOT a runner and he did alright. The stretches of the longest running were rough on him though. I have the t-shirt now so I can check it off my list of things to try. You'll have fun. But don't worry about your time.
  • It sounds like a lot of fun! Go for it!! :) I wish we had things like that in my area or a zombie run or something like that but all I have ever seen is just the traditional 5K. I am looking to complete my first one of those this spring/summer though. Good luck!! :)
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    I did a Marine Mud Run last year-looking to find a Dirty Girl race near me this year. Obstacles are fun and challenging. Just enjoy the experience and don't worry about your time-when your talking about obstacles, there is "wait" time for others to complete them-I say just enjoy. As far as training-its a short race, maybe just focus on incline running, hills or stairs should help.

Most of all Have Fun!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    I did my first "mud run" in October of last year. I LOVED it sooo much. I really can't wait to do another one.
    As far as gear is concerned...LONG SOCKS!!!! Well, if there are any obstacles involving ropes, long socks for sure.

This was one of the obstacles at Rebel Race (this is not me, just a random google image):
    photo1-3.jpg

I knew this was going to be one of the obstacles going into it. For some reason the thought didn't even cross my mind to wear either pants or long socks so I ended up with this absolutely disgusting rope burn:
    E0BA99FF-6EF6-41A4-B42A-C90E9D88AE84-2007-0000017406458B2F.jpg

Definitely learned my lesson!
    Good luck to you :)
  • 1. Most of these races have walls, so work on pullups, though you can usually count of another runner helping you if you need it.

2. Tie your shoes really tight so they don't get sucked off in the mud.

3. Actually do trail running, not just road running leading up to it.

4. Many times mud will stick to your shoes and make your feet extra heavy. You can simulate this by wearing ankle weights in training.

5. Sprints will help you get in shape, some obstacles can get your heart rate up.

6. Wear snug clothing that has less chance to snag on anything, and get a tech fabric that will dry fast. If you get in water, you don't want to carry the weight around in your cotton clothes.

7. There usually are as many walkers as runners at these shorter events.

8. Have fun!
  • 1. Most of these races have walls, so work on pullups, though you can usually count of another runner helping you if you need it.

4. Many times mud will stick to your shoes and make your feet extra heavy. You can simulate this by wearing ankle weights in training.

5. Sprints will help you get in shape, some obstacles can get your heart rate up.

6. Wear snug clothing that has less chance to snag on anything, and get a tech fabric that will dry fast. If you get in water, you don't want to carry the weight around in your cotton clothes.

8. Have fun!

This nails it. I did my 1st Warrior Dash last September and loved it! Cross train and sprints.
  • jrue1985
    1. Most of these races have walls, so work on pullups, though you can usually count of another runner helping you if you need it.

8. Have fun!

Thank you guys!!! This is great. I will definately be taking the "long" socks suggestion! And the no cotton suggestion too! I can't wait to start "training" for this when I get back from my vacation! BUT, I am not wising away my vaca. either :-D
  • jrue1985
    Oh, any suggestions for good socks that will STAY UP?! I have large calves, and tall socks always fall down on me :-( I hate pulling them up and won't have time to in the race!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Oh, any suggestions for good socks that will STAY UP?! I have large calves, and tall socks always fall down on me :-( I hate pulling them up and won't have time to in the race!

I wore long socks, and regretted it. They stayed up, but I felt so frumpish! Maybe if I'd had sexy colorful knee highs it would have been different! lol

personally, I love a good war wound and the stories it brings... so next time I'm not wearing them. lol
  • Look for some soccer socks or similar.
  • jrue1985
    I was thinking that too Mirey! I have some time to ponder all my options :-)