Abbreviation Glossary

Options
I'm sorry if this has been done before but my brain has been blown by a lot of abbreviations I don't know the meaning of :(

Can you guys that have been here a while help us newbies out please :) (Maybe it could be pinned?)

So far I have worked out:

SW - Start weight
CW - Current weight
GW - Goal weight (usually short term)
UGW - Ultimate goal weight (the weight you want to be and keep)
3DS - 30 Day Shred, a fitness plan?
C25K - Couch to 5k, a plan for beginner runners
HRM - Heart rate monitor?

If any of these are wrong, please feel free to correct me or elaborate and I'm sure there are loads I have missed.

Replies

• AmandaRhys
    Options
    I also had to google search to figure out what NSV was...apparently a "Non-Scale Victory"

Also, 30 Day Shred is a Jillian Michaels workout DVD :-)

But I agree...I keep getting hung up on abbreviations too!!!
  • teaspoon43
    teaspoon43 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    you'll never guess, but I had the hardest time with MFP until one day the light bulb came on and I was like DUHHHHHHH "my fitness pal"
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Also

TOM- Time of the month
    NSV- non scale victory
    HIIT- high intensity interval training
    GF- gluten free
    TDEE- total daily energy expenditure= calories expended throughout the day (exercise, walking brushing teeth, etc)
    BMR- basal metabolic rate = bare minimum calories expeded by you if you were completely at rest (in bed) all day

research anything you do not know there is often conflicting information on here and it can get very confusing to a new user
  • Change_is_Good_
    Change_is_Good_ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    you'll never guess, but I had the hardest time with MFP until one day the light bulb came on and I was like DUHHHHHHH "my fitness pal"

Erm, maybe I had a problem with this too :-/
    Also

TOM- Time of the month
    NSV- non scale victory
    HIIT- high intensity interval training
    GF- gluten free
    TDEE- total daily energy expenditure= calories expended throughout the day (exercise, walking brushing teeth, etc)
    BMR- basal metabolic rate = bare minimum calories expeded by you if you were completely at rest (in bed) all day

research anything you do not know there is often conflicting information on here and it can get very confusing to a new user

TDEE is that not calculated to work out your allowance? Am I being really blonde?
  • melissahughes6977
    Options
    :( means sad face, person
    ;) happy face or person

hello I'm melissa have a good day ;)
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Yeah I though that's what I was saying TDEE is your total calorie expenditure including exercise/ activity. In order to lose weight you reduce your TDEE # by 20% and that will give you total calories to consume (this is not using the MFP net calorie method).

I use my TDEE number when deciding about which exercise calories to eat back, basically even if I have extra calories to net, I will not go over what my TDEE-20% number is.
  • preshusgem
    preshusgem Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    TF ~ Turbo Fire
    CLX ~ Chalean Extreme
    BB ~ Beachbody (company that puts out the above 2 programs and P90X and a bunch of others, as well).