Get out of bed!

Options
I'm feeling philosophical today, but bare with me for a bit...

When I woke up this morning, I almost went back to sleep. We were out late for Valentine's day and my head was a little fuzzy from the scotch. I would have been justified in going back to bed. No one would have thought I was "slacking off".

But I didn't go back to bed. I got up, got dressed and went to the gym (after brushing my teeth). I worked my butt off because I didn't push myself last time. And this morning I ran 3.24 miles in 30 min. I ran my first 5k (more than a 5k) and averaged over 6mph. I was hoping to get up to a 5k in March and eventually work up to a sub 30 min time, but I did it this morning. Yes it was on a treadmill... But I did it. And it's because of one little choice... To get my butt out of bed.

That's when I realized that the big things in our lives are made up of little choices. It wasn't just this one little choice that led me to my goal, but scores of them over the past 8 weeks. I started thinking of the other little choices I made when I chose to "go back to bed" (not work toward my goals).

I think the biggest difference in people is those little choices. Those that choose to "get out of bed" or substitute a salad for fries, or make one more phone call before they leave work.... And those that choose to "go back to bed", or get the fries because "it won't make that much of difference", or leave work early.

This is when I choose, from this day forward to "get out of bed" every day of my life!

Thanks for reading and I hope you "get out of bed too"!

Replies

• traceyfunk
    Options
    Thanks! That's just what I needed!
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That's just what I needed!

Awesome, I'm glad it helped!
  • strickland8052
    strickland8052 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    That was great! :)
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    reading this from my bed...i feel like ****. Ahahaha great post and very true :D
  • StrawberryThief
    Options
    I woke up half an hour early today and was like 'Yeah, I'm gonna get up now and walk to work!' And then I went back to sleep.

So well done you; I salute you!
  • molstern
    molstern Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great Post! I agree, the littiest of choices sometimes have the biggest impacts! I started a c25k last Saturday (never having run even a 1/4 mile in my life!) and my ankles are killing me and the workouts are painful and it would very easy for me to cut them down by even a couple mins, telling myself 5 mins less wont matter. But I havent. I have stuck to the program (all be it just a few days in) but I have stuck to it and I am looking forward to going to the gym tomorrow and actually wishing we didnt have plans tonight so I could get some extra in!

Glad you Got out of Bed and I think that is a great way to live!

Mollie
  • mltdown
    mltdown Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm laying in bed thinking of getting out of bed, but I guess I will I don t wanna be the only lazy around here! ;)
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Yup--I get my butt up at 3:40 on weekdays and 5 on weekends to work out.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    <thank you for brushing your teeth> Awesome message, and so very true!

So, I'm out of bed...now where's the coffee?
  • KrissyKris10
    KrissyKris10 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling philosophical today, but bare with me for a bit...

When I woke up this morning, I almost went back to sleep. We were out late for Valentine's day and my head was a little fuzzy from the scotch. I would have been justified in going back to bed. No one would have thought I was "slacking off".

But I didn't go back to bed. I got up, got dressed and went to the gym (after brushing my teeth). I worked my butt off because I didn't push myself last time. And this morning I ran 3.24 miles in 30 min. I ran my first 5k (more than a 5k) and averaged over 6mph. I was hoping to get up to a 5k in March and eventually work up to a sub 30 min time, but I did it this morning. Yes it was on a treadmill... But I did it. And it's because of one little choice... To get my butt out of bed.

That's when I realized that the big things in our lives are made up of little choices. It wasn't just this one little choice that led me to my goal, but scores of them over the past 8 weeks. I started thinking of the other little choices I made when I chose to "go back to bed" (not work toward my goals).

I think the biggest difference in people is those little choices. Those that choose to "get out of bed" or substitute a salad for fries, or make one more phone call before they leave work.... And those that choose to "go back to bed", or get the fries because "it won't make that much of difference", or leave work early.

This is when I choose, from this day forward to "get out of bed" every day of my life!

good for you for making a different choice. that's so funny cuz i was just thinking about this earlier this morning. I didn't want to get up, but i dragged myself out of bed anyway :)
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder. Just what I needed today!!!
  • aemac70
    Options
    good reminder - thanks you

I'm finding that the more I get out of bed in the morning to go to the gym, it's becoming easier to get out of bed in the morning....!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

That is awesome. Thank you. And I'm going to post this on my profile so I will remember to get out of bed.
  • dobenjam
    Options
    good reminder - thanks you

I'm finding that the more I get out of bed in the morning to go to the gym, it's becoming easier to get out of bed in the morning....!

I find the same to be true. Now I (usually) have my workout clothes right by my bed and start getting dressed before my eyes are fully open. I love good habits.
  • dobenjam
    Options
    Yup--I get my butt up at 3:40 on weekdays and 5 on weekends to work out.

Wow, that is early. People look at me funny when I say 5am. LOL
  • dobenjam
    Options
    Great Post! I agree, the littiest of choices sometimes have the biggest impacts! I started a c25k last Saturday (never having run even a 1/4 mile in my life!) and my ankles are killing me and the workouts are painful and it would very easy for me to cut them down by even a couple mins, telling myself 5 mins less wont matter. But I havent. I have stuck to the program (all be it just a few days in) but I have stuck to it and I am looking forward to going to the gym tomorrow and actually wishing we didnt have plans tonight so I could get some extra in!

Glad you Got out of Bed and I think that is a great way to live!

Mollie

That's awesome! It gets easier and your ankles etc will get use to the new stress. I remember when it was killing me to run a full min when I first started. And after my workouts I started thinking to myself... "wow, I just ran for 5 min...10 min... 20 min????" Good luck on your training and you can do it. The best advice someone has given me is that when you feel like quitting and you push though it is when you are getting better. Keep it up!
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Interesting that you posted this, b/c I said sometthing similar on my wall this morning!! No Excuses!!!

I only get to run the road 2-3x per week, the other days are treadmill or strength only. Today is a road day - I was tired and it was raining - but I got my butt out of bed and ran. It stopped raining part way through but it felt amazing!!

Every single moment is a choice - get up / stay in bed. Eat candy/ eat vegatables. Work out / dont work out. Make a phone call/ don't make a phone call. The list is endless and you're right...... we should each take a few extra second so calculate our decisions to make sure we are making the best decision for our tomorrows!!

Thanks for this - Happy Friday!!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Small choices, small challenges, keep going and keep pushing. Being self-motivated is a great gift. GOOD FOR YOU for pushing past the fuzz and kicking *kitten* this morning! I hit my sub 30, three mile last week (29:59, ha) and it felt way better than my snuggly bed!

Thanks for the post!
  • dobenjam
    Options
    Small choices, small challenges, keep going and keep pushing. Being self-motivated is a great gift. GOOD FOR YOU for pushing past the fuzz and kicking *kitten* this morning! I hit my sub 30, three mile last week (29:59, ha) and it felt way better than my snuggly bed!

Thanks for the post!

Congratulations on your Sub 30! Mine isn't official until it is in a race but I have a month until my first 5k race and I'll be ready.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

Thanks for the post!

Congratulations on your Sub 30! Mine isn't official until it is in a race but I have a month until my first 5k race and I'll be ready.

Mine wasn't "official" either, but knowing it was good enough for me!!!