People with long work commutes-how do you fit in exercise?

Options
Hi everyone,
I recently moved and have a pretty long daily commute: 6:30 am train ride and then a return train ride that gets me home around 8:45pm. I was just curious how those of you with tight weekday schedules manage to fit in your workouts and how it effects your energy levels during the day as well as weight loss progress. All feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I work out during my lunch hour. I don't have a long commute, but I can't wake up early to exercise and have a hard time doing it when I get home because the little people there are very demanding of my time :wink:
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I get up no later than 4am and do it then. Totally sucks, but gets it done; I know I won't do it once I get home at night.
  • jwcomputergirl
    jwcomputergirl Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My round trip commute is 3 hours. So I work out during lunch time. But I'm fortunate in that we have an on-site gym and trainers and classes, etc.
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I get up around 3:45 every morning so that I can be out my door by 6:00 for work. Sucks but once you get used to it, it isn't too bad.
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    My round trip commute is 3 hours. So I work out during lunch time. But I'm fortunate in that we have an on-site gym and trainers and classes, etc.
    This-good luck!
  • bartman52
    bartman52 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yep - 3:45 in the am. You would be surprised how many do get up an go to the gym at that hour.
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    I have a 3 hour round trip commute and an unpredictable workload, so I make sure I always have gym kit with me, I belong to two gyms, one at home and one at work, plus I have workout DVDs at home. That way the only time I can't workout if I have the time is during the commute. Also, I get a lot of work done on my commute to free up time from the office to exercise.
  • Cheryl_Rica
    Options
    I have an under desk bike. It isn't a bu++ busting work out, but I am able to do it all day without sacrificing my work quality.

I do between 30 minutes and 2 1/2 hours of pedalling a day (depending on meetings...). I've lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks and my energy level is much better.

It falls under the better than nothing category and it is more pratical than leaving your desk every hour for a walk.

Also, it is kind of fun and isn't a chore. Once the weather gets nice, I am hoping to add actual biking during my lunch hour.