Fauxtato Pancakes (Hashbrowns)

Options
jesindc
jesindc Posts: 724 Member
I made these as a side dish last night and they turned out so yummy I have to share.

2 Medium Yellow Summer Squash
1/2 of a yellow onion
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 TBL olive oil

If you have a food processor, use the grating tool to grate the squash and onion together (A hand grater works too, the food processor is just faster). Beat the 2 eggs and mix into the veggies and add salt and pepper.

Heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Once the pan and oil is hot, add scoops of the vegetable mixture. Cook for about 4 minutes and then flip and cook for an additional 4 minutes.

It's not as crispy as a true potato pancake, but the flavor is still delicious.

This serves 4 (as a side dish) and it has approximately 150 calories per serving. If you REALLY want to lighten it up even more, substitute 1/2 cup of egg beaters for the eggs and use non-stick spray instead of olive oil. Then it's only 39 (that's right -- 39) calories per serving and still tastes pretty darn good.

I like to top them with a little light sour cream (and maybe some natural apple sauce if I'm feeling really fancy)

Replies

• kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    OH MY! That might be my new favorite!
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I make those all the time with zucchini.... don't call them a faux-tato cake though... no where near a substitute for that. But still a delicious side item. Or meal, depending on how much you like squash.
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • JuliannaEP
    JuliannaEP Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This is great! Thanks! I actually do faux-tato cakes with shredded jicama. The texture is just a bit more satisfying for me. I will try the yellow squash, as I believe it would be a great accompaniment to steak.