4 key points

Options
So much time and effort is spent on things that don't really matter. Eating before or after exercise, eating after a certain hour, workout out fasted, high fat, low carb, artificial sugar vs natural sugar, supplements vs vitamins vs whole foods, blah blah blah. These things matter to 1% of the population, and if you have to ask questions about these topics, you don't fall into that 1%.

Here is what you need to focus on (barring any real dietary/health issues):

1) Calories in vs calories out - If you want to lose weight you need a calorie deficit. If you want to gain you need a calorie surplus.

2) Exercise - While exercise isn't required to lose weight, the benefits of it in all aspects of life are too great to ignore.

3) Effort - Results come from effort. Effort keeping your eating in check. Effort pushing yourself in your workouts. The more effort you give, the more results you'll see.

4) Adherence - If you can't stick to your plan (diet or exercise) long term, then you're doomed to failure (or at the very least yo-yoing). Work on making your diet and exercise plans flexible enough, fun enough, etc that you can stick to them.

If you focus on those 4 points you will see success. Build a diet and exercise routine that works within those principles and you'll be on your way to posting in the Success forum.

Replies

• guapogringo
    Options
    Great summation Jacks.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    So much time and effort is spent on things that don't really matter. Eating before or after exercise, eating after a certain hour, workout out fasted, high fat, low carb, artificial sugar vs natural sugar, supplements vs vitamins vs whole foods, blah blah blah. These things matter to 1% of the population, and if you have to ask questions about these topics, you don't fall into that 1%.

1) Calories in vs calories out - If you want to lose weight you need a calorie deficit. If you want to gain you need a calorie surplus.

2) Exercise - While exercise isn't required to lose weight, the benefits of it in all aspects of life are too great to ignore.

3) Effort - Results come from effort. Effort keeping your eating in check. Effort pushing yourself in your workouts. The more effort you give, the more results you'll see.

4) Adherence - If you can't stick to your plan (diet or exercise) long term, then you're doomed to failure (or at the very least yo-yoing). Work on making your diet and exercise plans flexible enough, fun enough, etc that you can stick to them.

If you focus on those 4 points you will see success. Build a diet and exercise routine that works within those principles and you'll be on your way to posting in the Success forum.

I couldn't agree more!!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Great points to remember.

I particularly like the one about Adherence - make your diet and exercise something that's sustainable.
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Keeping it simple...LOVE IT!!!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Well said! It seems like a lot of folks make this more complicated than it has to be.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Well said! It seems like a lot of folks make this more complicated than it has to be.

Totally. In some cases it's ignorance, in some cases it's lack of perspective... but it really is that simple for that vast majority of people.
  • laccy40
    laccy40 Posts: 136
    Options
    Yep, but a calories deficit doesn't have to be 1200. Find out what you need to eat to maintain, then work out a deficit from that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Totally. In some cases it's ignorance, in some cases it's lack of perspective... but it really is that simple for that vast majority of people.

Well stated on all accounts...

jon-stewart-colbert-bravo.gif
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Yep, but a calories deficit doesn't have to be 1200. Find out what you need to eat to maintain, then work out a deficit from that.

True, but even so, a lot of people get soooo wrapped up in the numbers. Use some common sense, trust the numbers, be consistent, follow the plan for a month then adjust as necessary.

Don't freak out over what activity multiplier to use or tdee vs mfp or mfp's calorie burns vs cardio machines.

You've gotta be able to live a reasonably normal life without obsessing about every little calorie.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Threads really don't come much better than this.
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Some people hate the truth but thanks for sharing. This is by far one of the best threads I have read in a long time on these forums. It really does come down to that. I couldn't agree more. There are some obsessed people on MFP.
  • karen19711
    karen19711 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    SAVE
  • windyday61
    windyday61 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Agreed.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I should probably add a 5th point...

5) Patience - Nothing happens in a day, nothing meaningful happens in a week, and progress isn't linear. You have to see and treat this as a long term process. Don't flip out that the scale is up 2lbs since yesterday, or because you haven't lost any weight this week despite "doing everything right".
  • tattoogal77
    tattoogal77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing. It helps put things into perspective and makes this journey real. I am going to copy and print these five things so that I can use them to remind myself on the days I don't feel like this is all worth it. My health and happiness is worth everything!!!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I wish this post was required reading whenever a newbie creates an MFP account.

Beautifully stated!
  • sassekj
    sassekj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is absolutely true. I really just started getting into my fitness pal but before I was on my fitness pal I was on Calorie counter. This app is better in the fact that you are able to converse with friends and learn from them. I have lost a total of 54 pounds and can definitely tell a difference. I would not be here if these apps had not made me aware of what I was putting into my body.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options

What he said!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Great post! Don't get obsessed with the minutiae, just stick to the basics.
  • di1428
    di1428 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    love it! and printing and sharing :)