Bored And Embarrassed

Options
So ive come to the conclussion my problem is i get bored at the gym or embarrassed because i dont know exactly what i am doing. Ive been researching workout routines and best ways for me to exercise...anybody have any suggestions or advice?

Replies

• RhysGM
    RhysGM Posts: 39
    Options
    Most gyms should give you an induction and teach you how to do everything properly. Ask one of the trainers if they can come up with a work out schedule and also ensure you're performing the exercises correctly.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Erm thats a bit random really. It totally depends on what your goals are and what your looking to achieve from your workout.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Start by taking some group classes to meet new people and try new things. This will help you feel more comfortable.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    This is why, for the time being, I use the treadmill at the "gym". (My apartment complex's gym, which has no trainers.) Just get on and start walking. Real easy. The elliptical is the same thing. Just get on, hold on, and pedal.

Home workouts are good if you want to not be around people you might feel self-conscience about, too.

If you're lifting, well - that might require instruction. I've heard people say Youtube has great tutorials, though! Might google beginner's weight lifting stuff, if that's what you are looking to do.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I think group classes would be a good idea. At least then you would have some instruction on your workout instead of building one yourself. Also, everyone would be doing the workout along with you and you might meet new people :)
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    Most gyms should give you an induction and teach you how to do everything properly. Ask one of the trainers if they can come up with a work out schedule and also ensure you're performing the exercises correctly.
    Ask to set up an orientation. Most gyms offer them free to new members.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    You should def. talk to someone that works there. Let them know that you're new and that you're looking for information on starting a routine. Most gyms will offer some complimentary training sessions, or a block of 3-5 sessions which you can pay for to learn the basics.

Reading is good as well. A lot of people here really recommend the New Rules of Lifting for Women - that might not be a bad place to start, but talking with a training that works at your gym may give you some more customized options. Remember - they're getting paid to work their and help - you should feel very comfortable asking them questions.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Look into one of these 3 programs:
    New Rules of Lifting for women (book)
    Starting Strength (Book)
    Stronglifts 5x5 (web)
    These are all beginner programs.
  • SkinnyForMinnie
    SkinnyForMinnie Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this will help or not, but I've recently starting taking spinning classes, and I really like them because you can go at your own pace. You never have to worry about the instructor in front yelling anything like "HEY, BIKE #20 IN THE BACK, KEEP UP!!" and the music always keeps you going too. And, it's the only way for this 40-something guy to learn about the hits of today ("Who's this Rhianna lady?? :grumble: Bring back Duran Duran!"). Best of luck!!
  • jecamacho07
    Options
    well this week i took the cardio kick class and i actually got into that. I just heard its good to incorporate weight lifting as well as cardio and im such a beginner at that and the gym i go to only offers trainers an an additional expense (wayyy too expensive) or else i would have done that. Im looking for some water aerobic classes in my area i LOVE to swim so im thinking that could really catch my attention
  • BubbaLax
    BubbaLax Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose weight? Don't need a gym. Save your money... Walk and then walk some more.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Just mix it up...you don't have to use a treadmill or elliptical every time for hours on end. Definitely look into New Rule of Lifting for Women and start lifting...mix up your aerobic cardio...keep that aerobic cardio to 30-45 minutes just 3 times per week...do some lighter, recovery cardio another 2-3 times per week...just nice relaxing bike ride...nice long walk, etc. Just mix it up and do what you love. The suggestions for classes are good...though they really aren't my thing...just try different stuff until you find a routine you enjoy.
  • TheBigFish711
    Options
    For the people who are on a tight budget, I agree you don't have to do a gym. You can walk, jog, and there are many books on Amazon that are cheap that can give you different exercises like crunches, push-ups, just to name a few. And you can buy a couple cheap 5-10 pound dumbbells and have a bunch of different things you can do. But, if you are in the minority that has ample disposable income, a gym may be good money, and there are plenty of people that work there that will give you some basic instructions! Good luck =)