lifting..?

Options
I am about 124 pounds 5'5 and want to become more toned. I want my arms and legs/thighs/butt to tighten up, and have more definition in my abs. I do a lot of hot yoga, everyday for 60 - 90 mins, depending on the class. I know that this does help with toning, but should I start lifting weights if I want to see a difference? I don't want to become just skinny, I would like to have muscle. Lifting is the one aspect of exercise that I have no clue about. How much do I lift, what do I lift for what body part etc.. any feed back from people who know what they're doing would be lovely!!

Thanks guys!!!

Sam
xx

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Google: New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women or Stronglifts. Watch Youtube videos of the routines.....give it a shot.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Squats, deadlifts, bench press, standing overhead press, barbell rows are the fundamentals everyone should start with. As for the amount of weight, that's very individual. Start with an empty barbell which weighs 45 lbs. and add weight based on how light it feels to you.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I can recommend Stronglifts 5 x 5. It is very simple and a great way to start. There is a group here that gives great advice and have several posts with instructions and links to videos. I started the program three weeks ago and now I'm in love with lifting. I've notice better definition and improvements in such a short time. Good Luck.
  • 1knowright
    1knowright Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    is Stronglifts 5 x 5 videos on youtube, kinda thing?
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts. That is all.
  • 1knowright
    Options
    I'm loving the feed back!!!

but what is stronglifts!! lol I've googled and youtubed, and it's mostly men lifting big weights....

HELP :(
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    is Stronglifts 5 x 5 videos on youtube, kinda thing?

Stronglifts has a website that you can check out and links to instructions on how to do the lifts and the form. Again, check the group here, they have everything you need in one little package. Faster and better that going through the million + results from Google.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

but what is stronglifts!! lol I've googled and youtubed, and it's mostly men lifting big weights....

Do what the men do, only with less weight. That's what is working for me. As you get more acquainted with the weight room, you'll figure it all out. Just don't let fear of the unknown stop you.

Seriously watch the videos and think about your form. If you know anyone who lifts that you trust, get help with form. Form first, heavy second.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options

Don't be scared of the big weights. I started with New rules of Lifting, then i found the forums on here and put together my own routine from what i've learned. The big weights and compound movements such as squats, deadlifts, bench press will get you the body you want without having to spend hours in the gym to do sets of 20 reps with tiny dumbbels.
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options

Do what the men do, only with less weight. That's what is working for me. As you get more acquainted with the weight room, you'll figure it all out. Just don't let fear of the unknown stop you.

Seriously watch the videos and think about your form. If you know anyone who lifts that you trust, get help with form. Form first, heavy second.
    Perfect advice!! I agree 100%
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women

It's a book with an 8 stage plan. You lift 3X per week and it takes about 30 min each time. They tell you which workouts to do (and how to do them using correct form, etc.) and how many sets/reps. The point is to start at a weight that you can handle for each workout and increase the weight over time as you get stronger.

I finished the book and will be starting this tomorrow. There are so many people who have seen some great results. Reading about this girl's experience of the program on her blog sealed the deal for me to buy the book:

http://mealsandmiles.com/2011/05/27/the-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-plan/
  • cjack19
    cjack19 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you go to a gym, they should offer a free training session? I just joing a gym to start lifing and had a free hour with a trainer, I told him what my interest was and he showed my around the weight room. I also read New Rules of Lifting for Women first, so I had an idea of some of the moves.... I go tonight for the first time by myself - very excited! Good Luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Squats, deadlifts, bench press, standing overhead press, barbell rows are the fundamentals everyone should start with. As for the amount of weight, that's very individual. Start with an empty barbell which weighs 45 lbs. and add weight based on how light it feels to you.

BOOOM!

1247140047_mushroom-cloud.gif

Also, x1,000 on New Rules of Lifting for women. Lifting and lifting heavy is the only way you're going to build muscle...i.e. "tone up"
  • 1knowright
    Options
    you guys are FANTASTIC!!! thank you soo much for explaining everything and giving me advice, I'm a complete newbie to weights, so it is definitely intimidating, but I'm gunna give it a shot!!

much love!
    Sam!! xx
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    everyone in here has nailed it.

nrol4w and 5x5 would be a great place to start
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    you guys are FANTASTIC!!! thank you soo much for explaining everything and giving me advice, I'm a complete newbie to weights, so it is definitely intimidating, but I'm gunna give it a shot!!

much love!
    Sam!! xx

Nothing to be intimidated by. According to Planet Fitness' commercials, all we do is pick things up and put them down, then make our pecs dance in rhythm with pen strokes when writing something. :laugh:
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options

I agree with this a lot
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I believe i might still have NRoL in PDF format on my home computer. You can PM me your e-mail adress if you want a copy.
  • Loftearmen
    Options

much love!
    Sam!! xx

Nothing to be intimidated by. According to Planet Fitness' commercials, all we do is pick things up and put them down, then make our pecs dance in rhythm with pen strokes when writing something. :laugh:

You don't do that?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

THIS!