workout DVDs that actually work?

Options
Right now exercising outside is not an option until about mid April. The gym in the town where I live has no childcare so that is not an option. So I am looking into some workout DVDs. I need something that will not kill my knees I literaly have little to no cartlidge in my right knee and the bone is chipping away at the other bone. Dr said to stay away from anything that has squats or lunges. I would like cardio ones. The areas Im trying to tone sare my butt, thighs and belly.

Replies

• Summergirl_88
    Options
    I would suggest Jillian Michaels 30 day shred because it is a GREAT workout, but there's quite a lot of squats and lunges so probably not be the best idea for you. I've recently discovered fitnessblender.com - there are loads of great workout routines on there of varying difficulties, and ones to work certain parts of your body. I've tried a few of the low impact ones and I don't remember them having much squat/lunge action so might be good? They're free too.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I would think you'd be better off getting a cheap stationary bike (which tend to be nice on the knees). Almost every DVD that isn't super easy (thus near pointless) is going to have some jumping, lunging, and/or squatting.
  • mandys1979
    mandys1979 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I would love to get one but we are lacking room to put one
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I love Leslie Samsone's 4 Fast Miles dvd. or if you have a Wii Just Dance 4 is awesome with its Just Sweat option.
  • curvynblonde
    curvynblonde Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Take your kiddies swimming. You can get a great workout at a pool in the water, and it's easy on joints :)
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Here is my review of Insanity and P90X. They are great IMHO. I have young kids and they workout with me all the time. Lots of fun together.

http://www.homefitnessextreme.com/reviews/insanity-review/
    http://www.homefitnessextreme.com/reviews/p90x-review/
  • peejay34mason
    peejay34mason Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the beach body programs. I personally have done the P90X and can vouch for it. It is a great workout with great cardio and muscle building through lots of push ups, pull ups and use of bands! There are other beach body programs that may be better suited for what you are looking for. I have several friends who are doing the Turbo Fire and swear by it however, it is pretty high impact. Although Les Mills programs may be good for you as well. Just go to beachbody.com click on the link for fitness programs. AND by the way I am NOT a paid beachbody coach... Just a believer in their products!!!
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    Ask your doctor if it's okay for you to do static lunges. I found that the static lunges in yoga really helped me build up strength in my bad knees. Though your condition sounds more serious, check with your doctor and see if yoga is acceptable.
  • Abi_bug04
    Options
    I would suggest Jillian Michaels 30 day shred because it is a GREAT workout, but there's quite a lot of squats and lunges so probably not be the best idea for you. I've recently discovered fitnessblender.com - there are loads of great workout routines on there of varying difficulties, and ones to work certain parts of your body. I've tried a few of the low impact ones and I don't remember them having much squat/lunge action so might be good? They're free too.

^^^^Definitely this! I lost 6 inches after only level 1! (I had to stop after that for a bit because of knee issues) but it was definitely extremely effective, and I was getting stronger, and saw my body changing in front of my eyes!!
  • VSeed2008
    Options
    Jillian Micheals 30 day shred!! Also just started her ripped in 30 and am loving it too!
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I would think you'd be better off getting a cheap stationary bike (which tend to be nice on the knees). Almost every DVD that isn't super easy (thus near pointless) is going to have some jumping, lunging, and/or squatting.

I second that! I have to go easy on my knees too, so I bought this bike:

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Exerpeutic-400XL-Folding-Semi-Recumbent-Exercise-Bike/5700682/product.html

and I just love it. I use it every day.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've done the Jillian Michael's ones too. I just jog in place instead of the jumping.
  • Abi_bug04
    Options
    I've done the Jillian Michael's ones too. I just jog in place instead of the jumping.

Ooooh! That's a good idea...I will do that instead of the jumping jacks next time...though incredibly effective, they are not a great exercise for someone with terrible knee issues!
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options

I have one bad knee also, but have had good luck w/ 30 Day Shred. I just have to modify on the squats/lunges. I didn't have a lot of weight to lose, but have been doing 30DS fairly consistently for about a month (mixed w/ TurboJam and my elliptical) and am seeing great results in muscle tone in upper and lower body.
  • paigeleigh2
    Options
    I like the Biggest Loser DVD's. The Weight Loss Yoga is my favorite. The Boot Camp DVD is also good. I have yet to get all the way through it without stopping.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    If your workout DVD isn't working for you, check it for scratches and smudges. Dust may also be an issue in your DVD player. Compressed air can help with that issue.

Good luck.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    ANYONE suggesting 30 day shred with knee issues is insane. you cant do jumping jacks and lunges and jump ropeing with bad knees.. not to mention the CONSTANT up and down up and down. NO. just no.

IMO, HOPHOP ABS was better. Its low impact, and you can also go at your own pace. There is a little jumping around, but you can take it lower key, and there is someone in the video doing that version. I broke my knee in 3 places and cant even put pressure on the knee cap, much less doing any kind of jumping or hopping around. HIPHOP ABS is more of a "stepping" and using your abs and "kicking" to do the steps. I love it!

Also, there is a bike called a "recumbent bike" which are (in my area anyway) on sale in the Walmart locations for as little as $127.00. They have a slide for the seat and its VERY easy to adjust and can slide down in as little as 2 feet. I bought one yesterday to go along with my elliptical (which is also easy on the knees, but takes up a lot more room) and i LOVE IT! Last night i rode 10 miles, first time i ever rode it!

ALSO, if you cant work out due to bad knees.. remember anything getting your heart-rate up is key! do punches! As long as that heart rate is up, you ARE burning calories! It wont work forever, but until you can find something to better suit you.. it sure is better than nothing!!

Good for you on trying to find something to suit you! Very proud of you for not giving up!! <3
  • jillybeanpuff
    jillybeanpuff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    IF you try 30 Day Shred I would do the free videos on YouTube before buying it. I've never had knee pain in my life but after a few days of 30DS my right knee started to hurt. I've also heard a lot of people say that its horrible for the knees and they stopped doing the video because of knee pain. If I were you I would stay away, but thats just me :)
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    All of the above are great suggestions. I have an issue with Shin Splints. So far, I have done all of my workouts at home and mostly with DVDs. 30 Day Shred, Turbo Fire, Ripped in 30 and now Body Revolution.

When they come to an exercise that hurts or is going to hurt me, I modify it. I don't stop, but I make is so that I won't injure myself. So far, I have had great success with them.
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Just FYI - Insanity is really tough on the knees. I have some knee problems (not anything serious, they just tend to hurt) and there is a lot of jumping in that.

Turbo Jam might be a good fit. It doesn't seem to bother my knees and the pace isn't as fast as Turbo Fire.

You can look on the beach body website there are a ton of workouts on there. you can probably find one that fits your needs. I've done several of them and they are fun and effective.