Shift work woes.

Options
Hi there!
I'm on rotating shift work, so usually (like today) I work 2pm to 10pm, so my sleep schedule shifts a bit to account for it. Rarely I work days 6am-2pm and I can just go normally , then I work back shifts 10pm to 6am. So my supper and bed times change.

I was wondering if there is proper amount of time to leave between last time eating and when sleep happens. Often on back-shift I don't feel hungry until I'm home.

Anyone else out there doing shift work? How does it affect exercise schedules?

Replies

• walleyebob977
    walleyebob977 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I total understand where your coming from. I work rotating shift work 12 hour days. I usually bring only one meal to work usually left overs from the day before. Then I bring vegs like carrots and celery. I also have stashed away a bag of 94 percent fat free popcorn for them long slow days. I also try and drink about a gallon of water at work to keep me full. I always find at least 30 mins a day to workout.
  • originalkazila
    Options
    I total understand where your coming from. I work rotating shift work 12 hour days. I usually bring only one meal to work usually left overs from the day before. Then I bring vegs like carrots and celery. I also have stashed away a bag of 94 percent fat free popcorn for them long slow days. I also try and drink about a gallon of water at work to keep me full. I always find at least 30 mins a day to workout.

I only do 12hr shifts on the weekends usually thankfully. I have the hardest time eating on backshifts. I have yet to see what it's like doing my workouts on a different shift. Thanks for the ideas!
  • kayenne78
    kayenne78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I work rotating 12 hour shifts plus A LOT of overtime. I plan my meals out 3-4 days in advance and calculate all of my calories. I eat all of my meals at work breakfast to dinner (unless I workout before work and then I have breakfast before that) I pack a cooler with everything measured. Because I go to bed right after my night shifts I try and stop eating at 3 am. On day shifts I eat my dinner between 530 and 6. I eat 6 small meals and drink lots of water. This approach is working for me- I'm down 20 pounds since January 1st!