Looking for Diary Validation

I am fairly new to the forums and wondering if there are "experts" that can review a person diary to provide input (good or bad)? I am a 47 year old male that has lost 13% since January. I have been using MFP for 3 weeks, 100%. That plus using BodyMedia Fit, I have lost 15lbs in past three weeks. My diary reflects all detail from Jan 25th through current.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! (PS - the Isagenix cleanse was just because I was a bad boy over Superbowl weekend, not a normal thing for me).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/thadius65

Replies

• erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    You won't find a heck of alot of experts on here, mostly alot of people who think they are ;)

my 2 cents:

You seem to be regularly under-eating relative to your goals, which is not sustainable in the long term for many people. Also, check your sodium levels, that Jennie-O stuff, if I am remembering correctly has quite a lot of it. It may be to your benefit to switch to a less processed version of meats. You do seem to be doing well on the fruits and veggies. Also, your flax stuff, are you grinding that yourself on a basically daily basis. If not, I think there aren't any/as many benefits from it.

Also, if you haven't already, read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    I'm no expert, but hey I'm trying to lose weight too! ;)

First, I would suggest going under Food > Settings and adding columns under 'Nutrients Tracked' and add Sodium and Sugar (or something).

What is your Height and Weight and overall goal?

To me it looks like you are too high in carbohydrates. You should consume twice the protein (around 200g) and at least half the carbs (130) you are currently consuming. I noticed one of your dressings is a little high in carbs, maybe remove it or use squeezed fruit juices or lightly dip your salad in it per bite to reduce it? You are also under-eating, which shockingly can have a negative effect on weight loss - you may need to increase your calories to over 2200 depending on height/weight/goal.

Oh! and it doesn't say how much water you are drinking, you should drink about 1 Gallon a day.

Great job so far though!!! You are doing awesome, and getting started is the hardest part and more than most people do!! Keep it Up!!
  • thadius65
    thadius65 Posts: 36 Member
    Flax is self ground along with my protein shake (in Vitamix). I drink more than a gallon a day.

My sodium is always on the border, even when I make all myself. That Jenne-O stuff I did find a bit high in sodium, usually just cook my own chicken. Dressings are tough. i stay away from fat-free and focus on lighter with natural stuff in them, but they do tend to have high content of sodium, especially when using 6tbsps. Carbs are tough to get away from. I have not touched any bread to speak of, nor pasta.

6'2 - 260 current - 225 to 235 is my goal. working out cardio wise, two times per day.

Thanks and any more input appreciated.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Unless you're under a doctor's supervision to restrict your calories so extremely, you really need to eat more! Net calories this week, if you're logging everything and your exercise burn is accurate:

Monday: 967
    Tuesday: 497
    Wednesday: 399
    Thursday: 496

Sorry, I don't agree you're doing awesome. Your calories are scary low.
  • Yes I agree you need to add more calories or your body will go into starvation mode and try to hold on to the fat. Try to eat close to the required calories you are shown on you daily record Cut down on the sodium. and dont drink your calories is the advice my doctor and nutritionist gave me. Protein shakes are usually high in calorie and dont keep you full. Good luck.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Your calories are far too low.

You need to be eating back your exercise calories. Your NET should always be at least your daily calorie goal... if not your BMR.

Consuming far too little will cause you to lose lean muscle.
  • now_or_never13
    Yes I agree you need to add more calories or your body will go into starvation mode and try to hold on to the fat. Try to eat close to the required calories you are shown on you daily record Cut down on the sodium. and dont drink your calories is the advice my doctor and nutritionist gave me. Protein shakes are usually high in calorie and dont keep you full. Good luck.

Starvation mode is a myth... unless you go for at least 72 hours without any food you won't go into anything like starvation mode. Also, protein shakes are a great addition to any diet to help reach protein goals! Protein is a huge macro that you need daily for your muscles and to starve off hunger.
  • thadius65
    Majope - I appreciate the honesty. I am on no restrictions, just doing my best to do the right thing.

I will use 2/14 as an example. My bodymedia fit showed a 24 hour burn of 3796 (including sleep time). My intake was 1620 so caloric deficit was 2176. Looking at the MFP numbers, I show the same intake of 1620 due to linking of the two programs, with a goal of 1670, but as you indicated a net of 496 after taking the exercise into play.

So I guess this is where the confusion is on my part. I was close to my "goal" of 1670. So if that is a wrong approach, should I go until MFP says no calories remaining? And if so, is that targeted at 2lb loss per week? What if I wish to lose 4?

Thanks again and don't be shy anyone. I can take a kick or two.
  • now_or_never13
    You should be eating so your net calories are your daily goal.

MFP already builds in a deficit for you to lose so you eat your exercise calories back.

Don't try to go for 4lbs per week... safe and healthy weight loss is up to 2lbs per week. Too high of a deficit will cause you to lose more muscle. Losing too quickly will cause your body fat % to actually increase as you will lose fat, water and muscle.. instead of just fat and water. A deficit of over 2000 is far too high. You need to fuel your body. You should be netting your BMR for best results as your BMR is the amount of calories your body needs just to maintain itself when you do nothing in a day (lay in bed all day long not moving).

Please increase your food intake... don't try to lose quicker than you are.

Fast weight loss leads to losing muscle along with loose skin. According to your ticker you only have another 25lbs to lose so even 2lbs per week is too high of a goal.
  • erinsueburns
    Flax is self ground along with my protein shake (in Vitamix). I drink more than a gallon a day.

My sodium is always on the border, even when I make all myself. That Jenne-O stuff I did find a bit high in sodium, usually just cook my own chicken. Dressings are tough. i stay away from fat-free and focus on lighter with natural stuff in them, but they do tend to have high content of sodium, especially when using 6tbsps. Carbs are tough to get away from. I have not touched any bread to speak of, nor pasta.

6'2 - 260 current - 225 to 235 is my goal. working out cardio wise, two times per day.

Thanks and any more input appreciated.

You might try making your own vinaigrette with olive oil, vinegar, dijon mustard, and spices. It is actually alot of fun and can be a good way to cut down on sodium.

And really, read that roadmap! It tends to make things clearer. But in general, yes you need to eat as close to your net caloric goal as possible without going over (think the price is right). Now since I don't have a full time device, I'm unsure exactly how it calculates. Generally, on mfp, you put in the general daily activity level and then only log your extra exercise. If I'm understanding correctly, the device you are using calculates everything including sleeping? If thats the case, it may be difficult too suss it out. My first inclination would be to disconnect the two accounts, then every day, set the goal for 500-1000 calories less than total amount burned the day before, IYSWIM.But someone around here may use that device and have a more practical solution.
  • thadius65
    Do you mean follow the "Calories Remaining" as my goal and that will lead to 2lbs loss per week? That would have meant 1174 more calories on 2/14 on MFP. And when looking at BMF, had I had those extra, that would be an overall 1,000 calorie deficit. Which is 7,000 per week, or 2lbs (@3,500). Correct?
  • erinsueburns
    Also, step back on the cardio, and pick up some weights. maintain or even build muscle without burning so many calories and the food amounts won't need to be so high, with the added bonus of a better physique at your end point.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    You could add a Protein Shake between Breakfast - Lunch, Lunch - Dinner, and/or another just before bed. With 2 scoops you would add 240 calories, and 46 protein per shake. With exercise you need to add quality protein.
  • erinsueburns
    Do you mean follow the "Calories Remaining" as my goal and that will lead to 2lbs loss per week? That would have meant 1174 more calories on 2/14 on MFP. And when looking at BMF, had I had those extra, that would be an overall 1,000 calorie deficit. Which is 7,000 per week, or 2lbs (@3,500). Correct?

Sounds about right :)
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Yes, that. Eat the "Calories Remaining" to meet your MFP goals. 1-2 pounds a week is generally considered a healthy rate to lose weight. Best of luck with it!
  • Have you looked into getting a nutrition book for yourself, even if you just check one out from your local library. It will give you some basic information about what type of foods you are eating. Change your Nutritional intake (calories, protein, ect.) add more columns of information, carbs, fiber, sugar, sodium and compare that to what you read. Without seeing a dietician or nutritionist that is really the only way that you will know what is best for your goals.
  • thadius65
    Thanks all. In regards to weights, my intent was to do some M,W,F weight training second week in March. That way I have a good long duration prior to next trip out of town.

This coming week, i am focusing on reducing carbs and sodium, but increasing calories closer to Net.
  • Have you looked into getting a nutrition book for yourself, even if you just check one out from your local library. It will give you some basic information about what type of foods you are eating. Change your Nutritional intake (calories, protein, ect.) add more columns of information, carbs, fiber, sugar, sodium and compare that to what you read. Without seeing a dietician or nutritionist that is really the only way that you will know what is best for your goals.
  • You won't find a heck of alot of experts on here, mostly alot of people who think they are ;)

THIIIIIIIIIS