The Dreaded Belly Fat

Options
Hello Fellow MFP People,
Back on MFP for 3 weeks now (and have lost 6 lbs!) after about a six month hiatus. Rediscovered my love of walking (about 3-5 miles per day) and cardio(at least 30 min/ a day). I feel SO much better and goal is to be at between 135-130 by 4th of July. I've always been pretty lucky in that my legs are lean and I've noticied an improvement in my arms BUT my belly looks like I'm a few months pregnant! Any suggestions, comments, advice ANYTHING that I might try to get it looking better. I'm in NO way looking to wear a bikini anytime soon but was wondering if anyone out there in MFP land has had any luck with the belly region!

Many Thanks-
Deborah

Replies

• ktmunchie
    ktmunchie Posts: 35
    Options
    Unfortunatly I don't have any tips, but I just wanted to say I feel ya! I have the same issue, skinny legs and arms, even my bum isn't bad, it's just my stomach. I get asked when I am due......NOT PREGO!!! It is very frustrating, but I just keep plugging along. Good luck to you!
  • doodleinmd
    doodleinmd Posts: 16
    Options
    Awww, thanks so much! Have not been asked when I'm do(thank God as I'd probably burst into tears!). I know that there isn't any magic pill but have gotten some great advice/tips on MFP so thought I'd give it a try! Much success to you as well!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    There's no way to spot burn fat. Your body burns it from all over and decides where it will come off next (my butt and thighs are the last to go :laugh:). The only thing you can help is continue with the cardio to burn calories, and look into circuit training with high reps/low weights to build/tone muscle. Muscles burn more calories so having more muscles = more calories burned. Part of your circuit training should be to focus on your core muscles so that when your body finally decides to burn fat from your midsection, you'll have gorgeous muscles there to show off! :drinker:
  • katm427
    katm427 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    In the topic of losing belly fat -- they have shows OnDemand if you have Comcast (and I can personally give you lists of things that work if you don't have it) designed specifically for abdomen work outs. I have the same problem. No matter what I weigh, I have an issue with my tummy not being toned enough for me to be comfortable in most bathing suits that reveal it. From what I've been noticing from what my friends say, the shows really help if you follow them. It's like going to a workout class in your own living room. =)
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    According to Prevention Magazine, eating low fat dairy like yogurt everyday will decrease fat being stored around your stomach.

Other than that, most have a saggy midsection due to lax muscles. Try doing some ab and back strengthening.

Good Luck.
  • doodleinmd
    doodleinmd Posts: 16
    Options
    OOH, I have Comcast on demand so will look into the shows for the ab area & I eat yogurt almost every morning so so far this asking of a question on MFP has REALLY worked out! thanks all & keep up the good work :-)
  • Melora
    Melora Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Same problem!! I would love to get some suggestions too!
  • lselfridge
    lselfridge Posts: 4
    Options
    I was told by my trainer that an unclean liver is the cause of fat around typical areas... belly, thighs, upper arms and neck because your lymphatic system is where the excess fat gets stored when not filtered through your liver (due to it being clogged). I've actually done a cleanse that focused on liver cleansing and i found that it worked in addition to eating right, exercise and water. GNC has a few liver cleanse systems that might be worth looking into. Additionally, I take a Milk Thistle supplement every day that helps with continuing liver health. Your body never knows what to do with processed foods and therefore the preservatives clog up your liver and creates this domino effect.