Any Hip Replacements Out There?

Options
I had a hip replacement in December, and I'm feeling fantastic! I want to start running and have the doctor's blessing, as long as it doesn't hurt. But first I'd like to get lighter so I don't stress anything.

I was wondering if there is anyone else out there dealing with this, and if so, how is it going?

Replies

• katiedid1226
    katiedid1226 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lorinelson69
    lorinelson69 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have had both my hips replaced, one year apart and wouldn't change it I feel great but I have let myself gain a lot of weight which is bearing on my hips....I've just recently join mfp and have started working out just need some support to keep me motivated! It has been 3 and 4 yrs ago since mine. But lately my lower back has been hurting and my hips and I'm sure its from the weight that I have packing around so that is motivation in itself to keep me going to loose weight.
    Anyone want to add me feel free to do so. Hope you have a great day:happy:
  • Nu_Mel
    Nu_Mel Posts: 48
    Options
    Yeah I had my left done 3 years ago this October. I struggled with my weight and depression until September of last year.

Since then I've lost nearly 20kg and completely turned my life around. I did my first 5km fun run at the start of April, doing an 8km in a couple of weeks and then 10km in July.

Before March I've never ran in my life. I'd start of slowly and just go with your body. I'm also doing lots of strengthing exercises as well.

Good luck and enjoy!!!
  • tad10301030
    tad10301030 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

I had my hip replaced 4 years ago at age 34. It is amazing and I'm grateful to not be in pain anymore. My replacement was the larger sized head and I've received my doctor's blessing to run, just no marathons (as if!) and no hip precautions. I recently started running this past May and I love it. Although my doctor feels I shouldn't need a revision with the newer technology I am doing everything I can to make sure it lasts. I'm losing weight and although I did start running I'm very careful to no do too much pounding on my joints.

I know this thread is a few months old, I hope everything is going well!!
  • JoyfullMovement
    JoyfullMovement Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I see this thread is a bit old but am thankful to find it. You all look so young! I am 51 and just found out I need my hip replaced. I am going for a second opinion but the first doctor said he wouldn't want me to run. I have had a foot issue and fibro so I haven't been running for a good while but to be told never again breaks my heart. I love to run. Seeing that some of you have been told you can run gives me hope this new doctor may respond differently:)
    Thank you all for sharing your stories.
  • daizeegurl
    daizeegurl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi - I had my hip replaced 12/27th of 2012 and Im 45 years old. You will be so thankful you get it taken care of! Not sure about you, but I had pain for about 2 years. The 1st year, I didnt even realize it was my hip that needed replaced. I sought out chiropractic care for the thigh and knee pain. Thankfully, someone in my family who also had their hip replaced urged me to see their surgeon. After 6 mo and 2 hip injections to no avail, I took the plunge. Im now at 6 weeks post op and feel fantastic. I started feeling like myself again around the 4th week. My doctor urged me not to run, but I am not a runner. Elliptical, biking, swimming is what has been recommended for now. I think doctors are very cautious against okaying anyting that might cause the new hip to dislocate. I say, find a doctor you are comfortable with and let them know your goal of running again and hopefully, they will work with you to achieve that. I do warn - since you are so young, you will feel really well around that 4-5 week range and maybe even sooner, but know that its important to still stick with your hip precautions. Good luck!
  • JoyfullMovement
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice.
  • FishingFan123
    FishingFan123 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This thread is old, but arthritis caused me to gain the weight in the first place, & like a bad friend I never got rid of the weight (alot of weight gained 60# over 7 years as they told me I was too young for a hip replacement).

Since I lost so much conditioning, it took a year of rehab to really, feel 95% normal (I still cant sit indian style & feel normal tho, almost but not quite enough to use that position anymore without thought in a tent for example, sadly. it used to be so effortless). It helps to be able to sit indian style in a tent, I love camping!

However, I still have the friggin weight on, & now looking at the other hip being replaced. ButIi will never give up. Bad genes sigh.

Add me, I post everyday, & need encouragement too!
  • JoyfullMovement
    Options
    This thread is old, but arthritis caused me to gain the weight in the first place, & like a bad friend I never got rid of the weight (alot of weight gained 60# over 7 years as they told me I was too young for a hip replacement).

Since I lost so much conditioning, it took a year of rehab to really, feel 95% normal (I still cant sit indian style & feel normal tho, almost but not quite enough to use that position anymore without thought in a tent for example, sadly. it used to be so effortless). It helps to be able to sit indian style in a tent, I love camping!

However, I still have the friggin weight on, & now looking at the other hip being replaced. ButIi will never give up. Bad genes sigh.

Add me, I post everyday, & need encouragement too!

I am s sorry to hear about your struggles. It is can be so hard! I am glad you are not giving up .

I have my hip replaced in May. I can't sit Indian style now either and hope all that changes after the surgery. I am trying really hard to lose some weight before the surgery but am having a hard time with it. I am trying to be better at posting regularly and would like to add you.

Hang in there and thanks for sharing.
  • seafuss
    seafuss Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am 38 and have been waiting for a replacement for over a year. My surgeon won't do it for me for another 9 years because he said I'm too young. I've had 2 other opinions, and they are all the same. I try to exercise as much as possible, but everything hurts:) My doc said to swim, but we live out in the country and the nearest pool is a ways away. Any advice?
  • jaweiss1
    jaweiss1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am 46 and I am probably 2-3 years away from a hip replacement for my left hip. I have FAI, two degenerative labral tears, and a 1 cm full-thickness cartilage defect on the femoral articular surface in my left hip. Arthritis pain is getting worse, but I have worked hard to put together a strength training program that allows me to stay in shape without heavy weightbearing across the hip. I do Synvisc injections every 4 months or so.

Happy to share the program that I do if anyone is interested. Everyone is a bit different in terms of what they can tolerate, it took me almost a full year to figure out all the exercises that worked and didn't work for me. It was hard giving up squats and deadlifts.
  • FishingFan123
    Options
    "Happy to share the program that I do if anyone is interested. Everyone is a bit different in terms of what they can tolerate, it took me almost a full year to figure out all the exercises that worked and didn't work for me. It was hard giving up squats and deadlifts."

I would like to know what you are doing. Squats (even without weights are hard to do with a bad hip, yet they are important in just being able to get out of a standard height 18" chair or 16" standard height toilet, which become progressively more difficult).
  • jaweiss1
    jaweiss1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    "Happy to share the program that I do if anyone is interested. Everyone is a bit different in terms of what they can tolerate, it took me almost a full year to figure out all the exercises that worked and didn't work for me. It was hard giving up squats and deadlifts."

I would like to know what you are doing. Squats (even without weights are hard to do with a bad hip, yet they are important in just being able to get out of a standard height 18" chair or 16" standard height toilet, which become progressively more difficult).
    Sure, happy to help out, let me write a little now...

I can no longer do squats (weighted or air) or deadlifts. I get bad pain within a few hours afterward, and for the next day or two. Just not worth it. In fact, I sheared off the cartilage on my femoral condyle doing weighted back squats. If I had only known I had cam FAI before I started a heavy exercise program including weighted squats and air squats, I probably would be 15 years from a total hip rather than 2 years...

So I need to find other ways to train my quads, hamstrings, glutes and low back.

The key with introducing new exercises when you have OA is to just add one exercise, and then see how you feel during, a few hours after, and then the next day. If you change a bunch of things in your workout routine and then have more OA pain the next day, you won't know which exercise or change caused the pain.

There are very few "closed chain" exercises that I can tolerate now, but here are a couple:

I can do partial lunges with dumbbells. By partial, I mean I don't go all the way until my rear knee touches the ground. Give those a try to start.

I can do rack pulls, as long as I don't go too heavy on the weight:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/rack-pulls

Before the OA pain, I could deadlift in the 350-400 lb range. This would translate into even heavier rack pulls, since you are essentially eliminating the first part of the deadlift movement. Now I keep the weight below 200 and just do more reps. If I go too heavy or do too many reps, I'll regret it the next day.

I'll post up details of my "leg/back days" and the other open chain exercises that I have adopted later.
  • danlarson
    danlarson Posts: 27
    Options
    51 year old here and 18 months out from my left hip replacement. The hip feels fantastic. I lived over a decade with increasing hip pain that lead to much of my weight gain. I too was told by my Dr. that I had to wait. That wait was not good to me.

My advice is, if you have access to a pool get in it. I belong to LA Fitness and they have a Aquafit class that has worked wonders for me. The class allows you to strengthen all the smaller joint stabilizer muscles that help with joint stabilization. It also is very good for streching. That and walk, walk, walk!

My downside was that evidently my leg with the bad hip was shorter then my healthy leg. The Dr. lenghtned the leg in the hip surgery. The problem with that is it threw off my back which had been compensating for the shorter leg for years. Even though my hip felt 1,000% better, now lower back hurt bad. So some more weight went on!

I finally had had enough of sitting on the sidelines! I used to be a super active fun person. I basically miss my son's teenage years for doing activites together which really bothers me. So I started with regular trips to my fantastic chiropractor, and I started working out in the pool. I just had to tough out pain with Advil and ice packs. I started to loose some weight via diet, and now the back is slowly getting better. I am now finally feeling that I am on the right track to more weight loss, and improved physical condition.

As my incentive to continue on my betther health journey, is that I have signed up for the Warrior Dash 5k in September. I have a dozen friends and family going with me, and this incentive is really motivating me. I am so looking forward to being an physically active and happier person.

Good luck to all you with the new hips. It was the best choice I made to put me on the road to being healthy!

p.s. I also just started Nordic Walking where you use the poles. This takes some of the stress of the joints and back. I am finding I can walk longer with less pain. Check it out!
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My bad....posting pre: reading any responses BUT...

I'm 49, car accident at 17 provided me with a crushed hip, pelvis, wrist, heart etc...plated and pinned together in Toronto Dec 14/80. March 26/84 first replacement. It's a Lords (honeycomb)....October 23/89 revision....

They once told me I'd be in a wheelchair by 40...WRONG :-) I'm in better shape today than I ever have been.

So my friends...enjoy your new hips :-))) we are all blessed that the technology gets better and better every day :-)))

Julie
  • keets502
    keets502 Posts: 34
    Options
    I'm 25 and had a bilateral hip replacement March 30, 2012. I am now officially 1 year recovered and doing great! I have other medical issues that cause me to use high dose steroids at times - the steroids caused a condition called avascular necrosis (AVN) in both my hips. I just went for it and had both replaced. It was either that or wait until they both collapsed!

Anyway - I was never a runner but I am currently doing Turbo Jam which has a lot of jumping around. Hips feel great! I do occasionally get pains when I bend over and stand up to quickly (mostly muscle that needs to be worked). My doctor said everything looks great and I should expect them to last me until I am in my 40s. I opted for ceramic on ceramic rather than the ceramic on plastic combo that most people get, since I was so young.

Also - I think the surgery location affects when/how you should exercise. I had the anterior (?) surgery, which goes through the front of the hip, rather than the buttocks.

Good luck to everyone in their fitness journeys!
  • tfpdunn
    tfpdunn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I had my left hip replaced 14 months ago (at age 33) and feel great now! My doc has discouraged running but hasn't given me any hard restrictions (other than no kayaking). While I haven't run, I have now really taken to biking, as well as hiking and cross-training type activities.

I started focusing on my diet and exercise again this past December and between MFP and simple cardio (elliptical), I've taken off 20 pounds. I just started 30DS and still would need to take off another 20 before running, just for my own comfort. If I can do so, I am thinking of asking my doc to reconsider allowing me to run.

Good luck and keep us posted!
  • FishingFan123
    Options
    I am 38 and have been waiting for a replacement for over a year. My surgeon won't do it for me for another 9 years because he said I'm too young. I've had 2 other opinions, and they are all the same. I try to exercise as much as possible, but everything hurts:) My doc said to swim, but we live out in the country and the nearest pool is a ways away. Any advice?

Well I was in the same boat. They told me the same thing. I didnt have a pool either. I waited 7 years, lost 90% of my fitness, gained 60-70#, it was a nightmare! Used a cane for 5 years, & ended up in a wheelchair for the last year. It sucked, plain & simple.

All I can tell you, is I had a hip resurfacing done. Theres been a lot of stupid bad press around that, but mine is great, 6 years out.

The thing is with hip resurfacing, it preseves the hip bone & caps it like a tooth. This is important for a young person, as if you ever need a replacement on THAT, you still have the top of your hip bone, & a REPLACEMENT can be done as if it was the first replacement surgery. Revision surgeries on an already REPLACED TOTAL HIP hip, arent so good, so I chose the reSurfacing surgery first, as I was young & may need another surgery on it someday.

Now, there Are Issues with resurfacing that you need to look into. Some of them are:
    1. Its a technically difficult surgery, so you HAVE to have a surgeon who has done A LOT, A LOT, A LOT of them! Dr Amstutz in California (who invented this surgery back in the 1960s), & Dr Gross in N Carolina come to mind. This surgery is more trchnically difficult than a regular total hip replacement.
    2. I hear it works less good in women as their bones are generally smaller (but I am a woman & happy with mine), so ask your surgeon.

Nothing is pretty about this problem, so you have to do a lot of research & come to your own conclusions. If I personally had to do it again, I would have the resurfacing hands down! I had a C+ prosthetic put in by Dr Amstutz. The lawsuits are on the DePuy ASR prosthetic (thats a different wear pattern than the C+, the DePuy wears more, & metal shavings caused problems).

HTH