Swimming

Options
snorker88
snorker88 Posts: 179 Member
Hi all,

Recently, I've developed a bit of an addiction to swimming. I was just wondering if anyone had an idea on what a 'good' amount of lengths would be?

I've built up to swimming for 40-50 minutes each session, and during that time I can manage about 24-26 lengths (it's a 50m pool). I have no idea if this is slow/fast or somewhere in between, and I'd like an idea on what I should be aiming for.

I read somewhere that a mile (33 lengths of a 50 m pool) in 30 minutes is fairly average, but I'm not sure how true this is...

Please help!

:blushing:

Replies

• LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I'm opening my pool this weekend so I'm VERY interested in the responses to your questions :)
  • onelegpat
    onelegpat Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm loving the pool as well, what I've been doing is increasing my lengths by 2 each time I go, so I started at 10, and now I'm at 38, and my next swim will be my first goal reached which is 40 laps (1000 m or 1 Kilometre). I haven't been timing myself exactly, but it is around 30 minutes for me, no breaks, no stopping, no touching the floor and I only do a freestyle stroke.
    Once I reach 1000 m my plan is to start timing myself accurately and begin my next goal of shaving time off each swim, which I'm excited for, and I'm pumped that I've almost reached my first goal, because I can remember before I started this goal, I didn't think I could do 5 laps.

I think your time sounds about right, but I think you shouldn't try too hard to compare yourself to anyone, unless they are similar in body, fitness level and swimming ability, swimming is not for everyone, and some people are like fish. Set some goals, and reach them, then set some new goals, always pushing yourself a bit harder, and going a bit faster and who knows you may be entering swim meets to see where you're at before you know it!

IMHO the 30 minute mile is average for an avid swimmer, but certainly an attainable goal, and you may have just given me my milestone point of my second swimming goal! Yup, it's official, goal #2 = Shave time off until I reach a 30 minute mile. Thank you for that!
    Cheers
    :P
  • Denyalle
    Denyalle Posts: 2
    Options
    Swimming is an awesome sport to get your cardio in, I absolutely love it. I swam competitively as a child and recently started swimming for my college team (averaging about eight or so people on the team so not hugely competitive). Our practices run about two hours and for a moderate pace we're able to get in about 4,000 meters (about 160 laps in a 25m. pool). So by all means you are doing great! Keep it up :) Thirty minutes for a mile sounds about right to me
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I"ve been averaging 60 lengths in 60 minutes in a 23m pool (75ft) pool. I change it up and do 10 lengths at a time of front crawl, breast stroke, back stroke and flutter board.

I've been swimming about 3 times per week for about a year. I was having a terrible time getting consecutive laps on the front crawl without running out of breath, until my daughter pointed out that I was swimming to agressively (I got faster and faster, but more and more out of breath). Once I slowed down and worked at better technique and breathing I was able to start increasing my laps.
  • snorker88
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated. :bigsmile:

I'm actually aiming for a 30 minute mile, then I am 'officially' a capable enough swimmer to enter a relay swim across the English Channel! I need to be able to comfortably swim a mile, and as it's a race, I need to aim for a decent time.

My friend works for Diabetes UK and they are doing a relay fundraiser next year, so I'm kind of in training for that I suppose.

Just hope I don't get stung by a jellyfish :sick:
  • snorker88
    Options
    I"ve been averaging 60 lengths in 60 minutes in a 23m pool (75ft) pool. I change it up and do 10 lengths at a time of front crawl, breast stroke, back stroke and flutter board.

That's a good idea, I keep getting a pain in my hip, I think it's related to always doing breast stroke. Think I might try mixing it up a bit! Thanks :smile:
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    hey! check out this site. it give you a program based on what you can do so you can gradually work up. i loved this until they closed down our pool for maintenance and never fixed it due to budget (school pool). hope this helps some!

http://www.swimplan.com/
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    hey! check out this site. it give you a program based on what you can do so you can gradually work up. i loved this until they closed down our pool for maintenance and never fixed it due to budget (school pool). hope this helps some!

http://www.swimplan.com/

Great link! Thanks. I have been looking at the total immersion website, but they are too much about selling their programs for me.

snorker - good luck with your goal ! That's so cool. Keep us posted. My swim goal was originally for fitness so I could join a Dragon Boat festival. It kept me motivated enough to get to the pool even in crappy weather...