Need snack/dip ideas

Options
bksteve26
bksteve26 Posts: 216 Member
Hey guys! I was wondering if any of you knew of either a low cal dip for veggies or a low maintenance snack that would only take a couple minutes to make but would be low cal enough to fill me up when needed. Any suggestions will help. Thanks!

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    A ton of people are going to say it, so let me beat them. Carrots and hummus.
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options

Amen to that! I usually attack a couple of ryvitas (the sesame ones are good) and then a layer of humous and some chopped/grated carrot on top

Otherwise tzatziki is really low cal & very simple to make your own (natural yogurt, cucumber mint & lemon). Carrot/cucumber/pepper sticks dipped in are yummy
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms Creamy Yogurt Dressings. Yum!

From their website:

Our Classic Ranch dressing has a unique, savory taste from its ideal blend of herbs, spices, garlic, and sweet onion. The tanginess of yogurt combines with these select ingredients to create a distinct and delicious flavor. You are sure to enjoy the rich, gourmet ranch flavor and fresh-from-the-farm taste. Terrific on salads, pizzas, baked potatoes, and as a refreshing dip.

* No Trans Fat.
    * No Preservatives or MSG.
    * No Artificial Colors, Flavors, or Added Sugar.
    * No High Fructose Corn Syrup.
    * Gluten Free.
  • daywater
    daywater Posts: 20
    Options
    This is one of my favorites! I got out of Health magazine.

1 can white beans
    1 can artichoke hearts
    1 garlic clove and
    1 TB spoon olive oil.

Rinse the beans off in cold water to reduce salt/starch.
    Last usually 3 days in fridge.
    You can use veggies or baked pita chips (limit them) for dipping. Mix in food processor or blender.I must admit it looks kinda weird when done but IT'S SOOO GOOD!
  • ahertel0214
    ahertel0214 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    For a low-cal/fat (but probably not low sodium) dip - put a packet of ranch dip mix in a blender with 1 container of low fat cottage cheese. Blend until smooth. I've served this at BBQ's and no one can tell the difference!

My personal favorite is hummus... but many people will post that for you. :)
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Tzatziki!!! It's so good, as a chip or veggie dip. Yum.
  • Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm a cheese freak and am completely addicted to the Laughing Cow wedges. The flavored ones are good on celery!
  • mklawle
    mklawle Posts: 8
    Options
    If you dont mind eating some carbs, you can always buy mexican corn mix and mix it with salsa! The corn fills you up and it is yummy with celery too! Remind me to give you some of my recipes i have saved from the past!!!! I have a ton from fitness magazines!!!

Or, if you have time make some fruit salsa

chop the following:
    1 apple
    1 pear
    rasberries
    1-2 kiwis
    1 necterine

let it sit in the fridge for a few hours and it will last a couple of days!! So yummy with grahm crackers!!!!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I read the first post, and started to scroll down to reply, and I guess I don't need to because that is exactly what I was going to say!!!
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Fage or Chobani Plain Greek Yogurt 1/2c
    1/4-1/2 tsp taco mix or more if you like
    chill for a while

I also do this with other seasonings like onion soup mix and whatever I have

TheWorldAccordingToEggFace.com also has a ton of dip and snack ideas. Thats where I found this and I love it.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    bump, great ideas! I do the hummus thing and I just recently discovered a sour cream spinach dip from trader joes (50 cal for 2 tablespoons)

~Leash :heart:
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Aside from already mentioned yummy ideas,adding fresh garlic to creme fraiche or low fat greek yoghurt is great,maybe add some chives too. I also really like to snack on seafood sticks and ham. Protein low cal goodness,yum!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Salsa!

I also make a side/salad that is really good -- 1 can (or cup of frozen, then thawed) corn, 1 small (10 oz) can Rotel, 1 can of drained/rinsed black beans. Mix together with 1 TBSP lemon juice, 1/2 tsp garlic powder and 1/2 tsp salt. Yum! I usually make with a diced avocado as well, but of course that adds more calories (and means you have to eat it up quicker!)
  • Chelsinicole63
    Chelsinicole63 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I like La Favorita Tortilla chips (60cals per 10 chips)
    and pace salsa (5 cals per tbsp)
    :bigsmile:
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    Low fat or no fat sour cream with any packaged dip mix in it! I like the uncle dans one, I Just flavor it to taste! I know some people put low fat or no fat mayo in it too, but I don't like my dip to have that tang, I like it with just sour cream!

I also am a huge fan of the light laughing cow cheese! I put it on plain rice cake or just dip rice crackers in it!!

Pringles has the whole wheat pizza sticks, 90 calories and sooo good!!

Mix salsa and low fat cream cheese together and dip rice crackers or veggies in it!
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Laughing cow extra light cheese on rice cakes so SO yummy! I totally agree,
  • 623Hernandez
    623Hernandez Posts: 458
    Options
    Cheddar cheese soup only 100 cals in 1/2 cup! I just haven't found a chip replacement!! I sometimes cut up a cucumber and salt it for a side with turkey burgers or dogs but I don't think they would taste good with the cheese soup.