Ladies only please!!!

Options
aerobicgirl
aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
Ok so im in search of a birth control, which one do you take and how have your experiences been. trying to do some research to find the right one for me.

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    There are many topics addressing this already. Search "birth control".
  • Mary_Burris
    Mary_Burris Posts: 120
    Options
    I have the Meriena 5 year IUD and LOVEEE IT!
  • AbiLuV
    AbiLuV Posts: 47
    Options
    I have been on Trivora (sp?) for over 5 years now. I haven't noticed any side affects.
  • IbettR
    IbettR Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I LOVE YAZ!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've tried several b.c. out there, and have had NO SIDE EFFECTS in the 5-10 years that I've been taking it. I've recommended it to others, and so far so good! Good luck and hope you find the right one for you!
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    Ovcon 50. It's a much higher dose than is normally given, but I was having a lot of issues with other brands. I've been on it a little over a year and had no side effects.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I take Ortho Lo for 10+ years, never had any side effects either. You should ask your gyno which one would be best for you.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I took Ortho tri cyclin for 10 years. However, I got tired of taking a pill everyday and ended up with an un-planned child. However, I have switched to a copper IUD and love it. No worries or concerns for 10-15 years. The type of IUD that I have does not have any effect on TOM since there are no hormones. So if you need something for that this will not work.
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm on Ortho Tri-Cyclen. I haven't experienced any problems with it nor significant weight gain.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Orth Lo for me as well. It's been great. I needed something with lower estrogen due to breast cancer running in my family. Was on YAZ previously and loved it!
  • MandyKayFrench
    MandyKayFrench Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I use a BabyComp fertility monitor and love it - no pills, no side effects. You just take your temperature once a day with the BabyComp and it'll give you either a green light (for go!) or a red light (for only if you wanna be some baby's mama!). If used every day as directed it has been proven to have the same prevention rate as the pill.

I've used it for almost 6 months now with no problems - and no pregnancies. Before that I was on a pill method of birth control and I would NEVER go back!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on Nuvaring, but have not had much luck with it. You wear it for 3 weeks, then take it out for a week, and put a new one in. During that "off" week, you get your period. For whatever reason, mine refuses to show up until the day before I put the ring back in, and that's just not a lot of fun at all. It's effective, and I haven't really had side effects, just annoyed with the timing of my period.
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    I have my tubes tied .. works perfect for me! :laugh:
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    My husband got a vasectomy! lol That works for me! :tongue: I was on the pill for awhile years ago, that worked ok. Haven't been on anything in a long time. I'd talk with the gyno.:flowerforyou:
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    YAZ!!! It helps so much with PMDD and cramping with no side effects. Talk with your gyno, he/she will put you on whatever is best for YOU
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I'm on Kariva and it works well for me. I need a series of pills that have three levels of hormones - 3 weeks active, 2 days placebo, and 5 days of a very low dose. The low dose ones are low enough that I still get my period, but high enough to keep some hormones in me. I've been on these for... 5 years? and they work perfectly.
    When I first started BC I was on the traditional 3 weeks active, 1 week placebo and I would get horrible migranes and tender breasts due to the drop and spike in hormones. I was only on those for a few months before I switched (I finally realized what was causing everything and contacted my doctor) to Kariva and I haven't had any problems since.

But of course, talk to your doctor and figure out what works best for you. :)
  • Raina0512
    Raina0512 Posts: 216
    Options
    I had Implanon implanted in my arm. It last 3 years and totally stopped my periods!! :) YAY!!
  • chandnikhondji
    chandnikhondji Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    i'm using Implanon - the implant that lasts 3 years. No side effects, no problems

My period did not stop but my pain got less as well as PMS hehe
  • bobspdx
    bobspdx Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I was on Trivora but then it caused me to get excruciating migraines. After talking with my GYN, she said most hormonal birth control will probably give me the same side effects. No thanks! So I moved to an IUD. It was covered by my insurance which is awesome because it is an expensive upfront cost.

Definitely discuss your options with your doctor, there are so many options out there.
  • karatejones
    karatejones Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Depo-Provera... "the shot." Now they recommend you only do it for 1-2 years, then switch to something else to rebuild your calcium levels, but I've been going for like 10 years straight. There's no estrogen, so they recommend it if you have high blood pressure. You can read a bunch of horror stories online, but remember that every person is different and those are exceptions, not the rule. I've never had any problems... every three months i get a little bit crampy and crabby (a few weeks before I'm due for the next shot), but way better than before I was on any BC. Also, it can make some people either gain weight (or make you more hungry?). I haven't figured out which exactly, but it's something to point out if you're on this site. It's really nice not to worry about it every day, no periods, and you have like a two-week window to get your shot. But don't forget or the dr. will give you hell!
  • becky123456
    becky123456 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Well, this obviously is not the kind of advice you are asking for, but I am 45 and had a tubal ligation last summer.. Perfect!!