New to MFP from Indy

Options
Gerkenstein
Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
Hello everyone!

I'm Sarah. I started gaining weight around 13 or 14 years old, which happened to be when my parents divorced, but stayed a size 16 (180 lbs.) for most of high school. I was always athletic and active, played a lot of sports and was really involved in music and theatre in school. But after I graduated high school and got married at 19, my weight really escalated and now I find myself a size 22/24, 290 lbs, and very unhappy.

This may seem silly because it's so obvious, but I recently realized I keep gaining weight because I'm unhappy and I'm unhappy because I keep gaining weight...sigh. I guess that's the vicious cycle, right? Anyway, it seems silly to reminisce about high school, but my junior and senior years were the happiest years of my life (so far!), I was even crowned Prom Queen. So to find myself where I am, I guess it's just a big shock and disappointment. In high school I thought I was big, but loved my life. I was so confident and happy it didn't matter that I had to buy my jeans at Lane Bryant. It was my goal in life to be a good person and I felt like I succeeded everyday. Now I just have to make it to 5 o'clock when I can go home and veg on the couch with my hubby.

Have tried diets and exercise before, but I think I was always scared because I know it's a lifestyle change and it's scary to think about changing your life forever, even if it's for the better. I always thought/knew I would fail, so I did. Well, this time is different because I'm sick of being fat and I have a friend who is a personal trainer so that won't hurt either! :) Looking forward to getting to know everyone and reap the benefits I've read so much about here on MFP!

Replies

• pajamamama
    pajamamama Posts: 61
    Options
    Welcome!!! :smile: I have found this site to be very very helpful. If you stay honest with yourself (and your food log), take it one day at a time, and don't give up you will be successful! Good luck!!!
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Hi Sarah! Welcome to MFP!
  • Unicornlover
    Unicornlover Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hi! You've come to the right place...this site is awesome! I joined earlier this week and LOVE it already. I have 105 pounds to lose, so I have a long way to go and I'll be here for a LONG time...so add me as a friend if you'd like :smile: I'll support you in your weight loss journey and help you any way I can. Cindy
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you realize it, but part of your weight gain after high school could have come from continuing to eat the same amounts of food, but not maintaining the same level of physical activity (I'm guessing it decreased after school). At least that seems to be the common thread among former football players and wrestlers from HS/college. And then add on top of it your spiraling unhappiness at your weight....

But here's the bright side - you know what got you to this point, so you now know how to conquer it and get back to where you want to be!! :bigsmile: MFP is a great tool and can help with the portion control and healtier eating, as well as helping you to track your exercise as you get back into it. Just make sure to drink plenty of water, watch your sodium, and eat your exercise calories to fuel your body.

Ok, enough said from me! Welcome and good luck! :drinker:
  • tammy4720
    tammy4720 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi Sarah! I live just west of Indy. I've only been on MFP for one week, but have found it to be a fantastic weight loss tool! I love the support and the Food Diary has been quite an eye opener. Never realized just how many calories I was packing into this body until now.

I would encourage you to track what you're eating each day in the food diary and try your hardest to stick within your calorie limits (proteins, fat, etc.) It will help you to make more wise choices about what to eat and what not to. Do you like to take walks? Try walking a few times a week. Maybe your husband would like to go with you.

Until a week ago, I was pretty much eating any junk I wanted to and rarely exercised. My body has paid the price. So just by sticking to my calorie limits for the past week and taking a few walks, I've dropped 3.5 pounds! I'm sure you can do the same!!

Feel free to add me as a friend if you want and we can encourage each other to get up off the couch and lose some weight!! :wink: