are weekends harder, how do you cope?

Options

Replies

• spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    This use to be me until I changed things up. Now on the weekends I do my longest workout video and walk on the treail longer. I just try to stay super busy.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    It's harder for me during the week.I do a lot of stress munching and the people who work for me are always having some sort of celebration I have to try to ignore ( start of football season party,Halloween,Christmas,The Patriots are in the playoffs,Poor us the Patriots arne't in the Super bowl).
  • fatsnacker
    fatsnacker Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I agree with Maria on water intake. I only manage one cup of water a day at work and none at the weekend - I know its not enough but I do have several cups of tea instead.
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I know I'm going to be bad on the weekends, usually go out drinking at least once. So, I work out really hard on the weekends so I can eat and drink what I want without gaining weight. At least it worked last weekend, hopefully it'll be the same this weekend. I also have struggled with losing during the week and gaining it back on the weekends, till last weekend. So keeping my fingers crossed
  • Petrapoo45
    Petrapoo45 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Weekends are hard!! I try to give myself one "fun" meal and try to stay on track the rest. Always in the back of my mind is portion control. That is key!! Try to stick to light beer instead of mixed drinks...if you're into that sort of thing :tongue:
  • canadiandee
    canadiandee Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm certain this is because I'm not as busy on weekends. So I analyzed my habits - eating and exercising - and have come up with a pattern that I think will work for me:
    1. Keep my calories lower Monday - Thursday (1400); have a higher planned caloric intake (1600) on Friday, Saturday, Sunday
    2. Workout 4-5 times a week (which I currently do) and allow myself one or two days a week to eat back my calories.

I think planning what I'm doing\eating around the way I live will be more effective in the long term. For me, the key is recognizing my patterns (and why they exist) and then planning around them, if I can't actually break them.
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I have been losing the same 4lbs for the last month, weekends are to blame...

Me exactly.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Anthony...ditto! Harder to not have the cocktails with the girls, I mean I don't want to be a homebody and drinking iced tea is kinda lame...still working on it.
    So true, I have a home tiki bar and if I don't mix some cocktails on the weekend I feel like it's going to waste...
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I splurge a little on weekends, if I go over my goal any day, it's usually a friday or saturday. But my 'going over' is by 100-300 cals max, usually to enjoy something extra, ice cream or extra cheese on my sandwich, etc. I try to keep water intake up too, been getting better at it since I have little else in the house except water, milk and almond milk for drinking. :)
  • Queenb1212
    Queenb1212 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I stay busy or hide in my bedroom to prevent snacking and bindging. I have to say since losing a couple of pounds I have more energy and most weekends have to make myself eat something.
  • joslynlpribble
    Options
    Sugar free chewing gum. Keep lots of those 100 calorie snacks around. Baby carrots. One sly trick - brush your teeth. We have been programmed to dislike the taste of food right after brushing. It actually works!
  • QuietRain
    Options
    Weekends suck for me.
    Saturdays I go grocery shopping [well, Saturday and Sunday] and our food supply is low before we get to it, so I have no idea what the beginning of my day'll look like. Which makes me question the second half.
    On Sunday my SO's mom makes a lot of Russian food and I'll either not know what it is [sometimes google helps] and it's not like I know what actual measurements of the ingredients she uses.
    Really, really hate weekends.
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Weekends are harder but I try to stay busy and end up out of the house for most of the weekend. I also find that I am more mindful of what I eat when I am eating out, which seems strange but it seems to work that way.
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    weekends are definitely harder for me. I guess during the week, I'm at work, I have a routine, and I'm not thinking about eating. I have other stuff to do, plus where I work, I can't just sit around and stuff my face even if I wanted to. All that goes out the window during the weekends. So on weekends I try to exercise more. It's hard to nosh on snacks while you're doing an aerobics DVD, showering after, etc. I also make lists of things I need to do around the house and force myself to do them (I'm lazy and would let laundry pile up otherwise anyway). Finally, and I know this may sound lame, I give myself an eating schedule when I have long blocks of unoccupied time. I eat a small breakfast, then wait until about 1 and let myself eat once per hour after that. It's always something small and healthy -- some grapes, a cup of steamed green beans, an ounce of light cheese, etc. I even set a timer to let myself know when it is okay to eat again. Setting this internal rule and having the external timer governing it seems to make it easier not to "slip" and just keep eating. Still, weekends are really hard for me and I think I will probably always struggle with them. But acknowledging that they are hard and having a plan to deal with them has helped me a lot.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Saturday is my rest day. I try not to go over my initial calories. Sometimes I eat something not so good, but half the time I don't.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    My water intake suffers too - maybe because I am not writing as much up in the office all day, and so looking for reasons to get up and move about every 45 mins or so (i.e. getting to go get more water).

Also - if I know I am not going to be all that active (Saturday is my complete rest day, coupled with normally a lot of food and drink of an evening with mates)... then I just go to maintenance and try and stay within those cals over the weekend rather than having a total blitz - but that's alright too... you have to accommodate your lifestyle change.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Weekends are indeed harder. The way I manage it is by keeping track of my calories on a weekly basis, as well as daily. I always eat at a deficit during the week and record my calories in a spreadsheet. By Saturday, I can see how many calories I have left to use, and can loosen the reins a bit but still stay under my weekly goal. It might not work for everyone, but it has worked wonders for me. Kind of my answer to "cheat days".
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    YES, YES and YES!! Weekends are harder. I have a hard time sticking to my calorie budget and a harder time getting in activity. This weekend I am really making an effort to plan in more activity. Not tackling the food part yet.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Work week is great! Weekends off are tough! I don't eat properly and activity goes down. Hope one of these off weekends to change that...gotta stay Focused that's the name of the game during my off weekends!! :explode: :grumble:
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Used to be, then I retired and never know what day it is anymore. LOL
    :laugh: