New to lifting...free weights vs. machines?

Options
Hey guys,

My boyfriend and I just started lifting together this week. I am totally new to it and am trying to get down a routine to make sure I get as good a workout as possible, and don't forget any muscles!

This week all I've done is barbell bench press (with adorable 5 lb weights), barbell squats (with silghtly less adorable 10 lb weights), and standing shoulder presses (with a 30 pound bar, which I am upping next time - not enough burn!).

I really prefer to use the machines (our gym has a ladies room with machines, the free weights are upstairs with the big guys) for things like bicep and tricep curls and leg exercises. My boyfriend claims machine weights are not as good as they only target one muscle or small muscle group at a time, whereas things like squats and deadlifts do much, much more for you. Well, I like the squats just fine, but I can't do a deadlift. Our gym requires the use of bumper plates when deadlifting, and with them, the bar is too heavy for me. (Don't laugh :[ )

So I guess what I'm really trying to ask is, on top of what I'm already doing with free weights, which should I be doing to get all my muscles worked? How should I alternate them? And are the machine weights really just a waste of time, or should I do those, too, or instead of free weights? I'd love to get a personal trainer but that is not happening financially. :/

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have smaller kettlebells? You could start deadlifting those. They come in a wide range of sizes and don't require a bar. Make sure you know the proper form for any weight exercises, though. Especially deadlifting and the like. Otherwise you could injure your back or other parts.
  • fancycupcake
    fancycupcake Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have smaller kettlebells? You could start deadlifting those. They come in a wide range of sizes and don't require a bar. Make sure you know the proper form for any weight exercises, though. Especially deadlifting and the like. Otherwise you could injure your back or other parts.

I am not sure! I will have to check next time I go, and if they do, I'll definitely look up the technique before doing it. My boyfriend and I have our phone out to check we are doing techniques right almost constantly hahaha we must look like such scrubs! Better to be well prepared than having a jacked up back, though!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

I am not sure! I will have to check next time I go, and if they do, I'll definitely look up the technique before doing it. My boyfriend and I have our phone out to check we are doing techniques right almost constantly hahaha we must look like such scrubs! Better to be well prepared than having a jacked up back, though!

It's okay, everyone just assumes you are a 'gym *kitten*' who's texting while being in their way. Look up all of the hate threads here for proof. So hey, at least they think you're just a douche, and not a scrub noob. :D
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    A lot of people ask this question....In short, with free weights you have to stabilize the weight in addition to lifting it, which involves a lot of other tiny muscles that you need to work. The Machines can't fully account for your body's range of motion and as a result you could lift with improper form increasing the risk of injury and simply not gain as much as you would by using free weights.
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Your boyfriend is right - free weights target more muscles. But you can get a good free weight workout in without deadlifts until you get a bit stronger. And you will be surprised how quickly you build strength from squats, press, and shoulder press. Add in some barbell rows and you have quite a good balance.

I really like nerd fitness - this is a good article and there are lots more on there:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/15/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/

Lots of people on here recommend new rules of lifting for women if you fancy reading up in detail.
  • fancycupcake
    fancycupcake Posts: 78 Member
    Options

It's okay, everyone just assumes you are a 'gym *kitten*' who's texting while being in their way. Look up all of the hate threads here for proof. So hey, at least they think you're just a douche, and not a scrub noob. :D

I have seen these posts! XD I make sure to step off to the side and out of the way before whipping out my phone, and usually disguise it with a trip to the water fountain at the same time! If being a scrub noob is bad, I can't imagine how looked down upon I'd be as a douchey scrub noob!

@1fizzle - aha! So moral of the story: "Don't forget about the little guys!" :D I like that reasoning - much better than his "Idk, they're just better." Thanks for the clarification!

@Jo2926 Just looked up barbell rows - those look like a great place for me to start until I can get to deadlifts! I love the workout/muscle group breakdown on the link you gave me - I have lots of reading to do! Thank you so much :D