Mexican or Chinese?

Options
olores
olores Posts: 257 Member
I enjoy both! But which one can be the most healthiest is the question?

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Either or neither, depending on what you eat.

At the most basic, both can be as simple and healthy as a lean meat, vegetables and rice.
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    healthiest CHINESE for sure.. but i like mexican haha.. and chinese but i eat that alot.. i wish they had a mexican delivery ( they never have ) :(
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I say Mexican. Both are rather wicked in the calorie department, if you aren't super careful.

I like to order a salad at Mexican restaurants. I ask for fajita meat instead of hamburger. NO taco shell bowl, and use salsa as my dressing. Usually ask for pintos on it too, not refried beans. Generally no cheese, or I ask for cojita (it's a white cheese that's generally lower in fat than yellow cheese).

Shrimp tacos with cojita, cilantro, and lime are good. Then I use corn tortillas instead of flour.

Baja fish is good- plenty of seasoning. Served with fresh veggies and black beans. Yummy!
  • mbreed75
    mbreed75 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I know what i like at Chinese and Mexican. What I get for Mexican food is healthier.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    To those that say "Chinese for sure", I encourage you to go eat at a North American chinese restaurant and then tally up the calories. I doubt ANYTHING there is actually healthy even if it looks it, and much of it has a batter on it. Very few things prepared in restaurants are healthy, and most things have tons of hidden calories. I would guess it is all in the preparation, and traditional foods cooked in those countries are probably both quite healthy.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    i have to say mexican...
  • dnabears
    Options
    Both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From the Chinese restaraunt I get a pint of steamed chicken and a vegetable & tofu soup.

From mexican I get Grilled Chicken Fajitas (minus the fajita), guacamole & pico de gallo!

Yum & Healthy to Both!
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm talking!! You know your MEXICAN!! TY
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster who said both can be horrible and both can be good.

I think Mexican is easier to be healthier with, just because at both tex-mex and real Mexican places, a lot of the stuff comes "disassembled" from what you want to do with it. Like fajitas, carne asada, etc. Because of that simple fact, you can much easier get a healthy meal. You can get fajitas and not eat the tortillas, rice, and maybe beans (those are my favorite part though so you'll never see me stay away from the beans!). You could get grilled carne asada and again, no tortillas or rice, and just have the grilled meat with some pico and guac.

Chinese, I find much harder. It typically all comes mixed up, or in saucey stuff (even beef with broccoli tends to have a sugary sauce on it!). Yeah, you can get steamed veggies, but still just seems more a pain in the butt to find something you don't feel that guilty about eating.

But, it can be done, at either.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    To those that say "Chinese for sure", I encourage you to go eat at a North American chinese restaurant and then tally up the calories. I doubt ANYTHING there is actually healthy even if it looks it, and much of it has a batter on it. Very few things prepared in restaurants are healthy, and most things have tons of hidden calories. I would guess it is all in the preparation, and traditional foods cooked in those countries are probably both quite healthy.

lol
  • Nitabug36
    Options
    Mexican always!!!!!
  • alschultz33
    alschultz33 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The Chinese restaurant we used to order from had lighter options....and by lighter I mean they sent the chicken and veggies in a box, completely plain. I could make that myself and the chicken wouldn't taste nearly as chewy. Yuck.

I'd go for Mexican food over Chinese food any day...regardless of how healthy it is haha
  • ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Mexican CAN be much healthier, but if you're going out to either a Chinese or Mexican restaurant, there's not much "healthy" to be had at either. But there are a LOT of great-tasting, healthy substitutions you can make in both types of cuisine if you prepare them yourself. Search the internet or Pinterest for healthy chinese meals in the slow-cooker. You'll cut the calories greatly by not having to fry them as well as by leaving out the breading. My favorite substitute in Mexican cooking is ground turkey or chicken instead of beef, and using corn tortillas instead of flour.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    i would say chinese could be healthier ultimately... tons of sodium in chinese food but sodium isnt a big worry especially for body composition... just dont get the deep fried chickens and stick to beef n broccoli, kung pao and rice.

mexican food is filled with fat from tortillas and lots of cheese which add to caloric total... plus if u look at populations between chinese and mexicans, the chinese are in much better health stereotypically (just sayin)

and im from san diego so i eat pleanty of mexican food and i can tell you that montezumas revenge is no fun either.
  • lizp114
    lizp114 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am trying to stay away from rice soooo both are not a good choice for me....I do love chinese food tho...but both can be health and unhealthy...it all depends on what and how you eat.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options

You cant be serious lol.....Mexican food in Mexico is typically full of grease and butter....I'd say "Tex-Mex" is far healthier then traditional.

As far as American Chinese versus Traditional Chinese, you have a more valid point...and while Traditional Chinese typically dont fry any of their proteins like American Chinese do....the calories are roughly the same....the difference is in portions.....American Chinese portions would feed a family of 4 in China.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Ok, so if you're talking takeout places then both have their deepfried downfalls.

But the basis of 'real' Mongolian/Chinese food if a boiling pot with stock/oils that you take raw meat and veg and boil and then eat. It is delicious and super healthy.

This is one of my favourite restaurants in London which does this sort of thing: http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/little-lamb
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am trying to stay away from rice soooo both are not a good choice for me....I do love chinese food tho...but both can be health and unhealthy...it all depends on what and how you eat.

What's wrong with rice?
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    my Chinese mother-in-law lives with us and it's in Southern California, so I don't want for either. Either can get you if you don't order right, but minimum, avoid the fast food variety.
  • befit68
    befit68 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    True,
    Both can be devastating in the Calories, & Sodium dept. Stick to making your own, and you can have a great deal of control over both areas. I like Chef John from Fooodwishes.com He uses real ingredients, all though he's not really concerned with fit fare
    like many of us on these boards are. All in all, I'll take real ingredients and smaller portions over Mono Sodium Glutamate & Poly Sorbate 80 any day...