How do YOU get rid of "that 2:30pm feeling"???

Options
I'm thinking that the healthier an individual is, the less tired you feel...but I'm not there yet. I have a weak moment every afternoon between 2:30 and 3:30 where I crave junk and want to take a nap!!
What do you all do to fight that????

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I take a nap. It used to piss my bosses off, then I told them 'don't like it? fire me.' May not be the best idea for everyone though.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Are you eating something for lunch that is causing your blood sugar to spike then at 2:30 you crash?
  • vashnic
    Options
    I make room for a snack/tea/coffee to keep myself awake and happy. :) I get furious FOODNOW munchies every couple hours or so. :laugh:
  • QuietRain
    Options
    I'm having that feeling right about now, minus wanting something junky.
    I try to listen to something I find interesting and knit. Usually that gets me past the worst of it, hoping it'll work this time 'round too.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Eat a bigger meal before that.
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Salty snacks are what I crave in the afternoons. Pistachios, popcorn, or pretzels, and a Diet Coke.
  • Hippie_Soul
    Hippie_Soul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I COULD take a nap...lol, but that would be counter productive! ha!

Example: Today I had a HUGE shrimp salad (cold shrimp, raw spinach, peppers, mushrooms and goodies), was very full! Around 2:30...BAM! I'm sleepy and kinda lethargic...stomach is growling and I'm thinking about Snickers bars..

Furious FOODNOW munchies...love it!! That's hysterical!
  • Hippie_Soul
    Options
    Salty snacks are what I crave in the afternoons. Pistachios, popcorn, or pretzels, and a Diet Coke.

I have recently found that I enjoy pistachios...good call! I have a VERY bad habit of - if I have something salty, I must follow up with something sweet. Needing to change my ways!
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    What you're describing is pretty common, even in people with healthy lifestyles. Some scientists think that this is a leftover evolutionary adaptation: this period of fatigue forced us to take a rest and kept us less active during the hottest part of the day. Ever hear the expression "only mad dogs and englishmen go out in the midday sun? Midday is when we're most vulnerable to heat stroke and sun burn. Some cultures still have siestas during the hottest, sunniest time of day.

As for getting rid of it...I dunno, I just try to roll with it and schedule that time as down time (my own "tiredest time" is after work between 4-5 pm). If that's not an option for you, some fresh air, sunlight and exercise will help. Are you able to step outside for a brisk walk? I confess I rely on coffee if I'm forced to stay awake during my "tired time" :blushing: .
  • KittenTikka
    Options
    I get this too! Doesn't matter what or how much I've had for lunch, I get to 3pm and have the munchies or need to sleep! I find taking a brisk walk helps, or doing something during that time of day that is going to take my mind off it
  • cebiginalaska
    cebiginalaska Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Have a snack my favorite is the Semi-sweet chocolate and Almonds.

Nestle Toll House - All Natural Real Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Morsels, 14 g 1 serving = 70 Calories 9 Carbs 8 Sugar 0 Sodium 0 potassium 0 Protein
    Kirkland Signature - Almonds - Supreme Whole , 28 g = 160 Calories 6 Carbs 1 Sugar 0 Sodium 200 potassium 6 Protein
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Yep, very familiar territory!! If I am in the office I will get up and walk around the office or make a mug of tea. If I am driving, I will pull over and have 15 minutes snooze. I had a VERY close call and decided there and then that the consequences were just too severe, so now I don't care who I am late for. If I am unfortunate enough to be in meeting with a customer, then I have to brave it out and concentrate on the meeting! Whilst I have been close, I have never fallen asleep in a meeting! Cravings for food don't figure at all though
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I take a short walk if I am able to (sometimes at work that isn't possible) or I make sure I have a glass of water nearby to sip from. I only crash if I overload on carbs at lunch, tho.
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I go out into the stairwell in the hallway and run the stairs twice and then come back and if feeling hungry eat an apple or a cheese stick or a Quest Bar.
  • Hippie_Soul
    Options
    It's always good to know I'm not alone in this fight! :blushing:
    Haven't ever thought about taking a brisk walk! That may help...yes, I need to keep healthier snacks around! YUM!!! Almonds and semi sweet chocolate!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    What you're describing is pretty common, even in people with healthy lifestyles. Some scientists think that this is a leftover evolutionary adaptation: this period of fatigue forced us to take a rest and kept us less active during the hottest part of the day. Ever hear the expression "only mad dogs and englishmen go out in the midday sun? Midday is when we're most vulnerable to heat stroke and sun burn. Some cultures still have siestas during the hottest, sunniest time of day.

OMG THAT IS SO IT! I have always had an incredibly difficult time staying away throughout the whole day. Everyone thinks I'm a wuss. Good to know there might be a scientific reason!
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm low carb, so blood sugar isn't an issue. But, I still find need for a cup or 2 of coffee in the mid-late afternoon. It may help if I ever went to bed on time...
  • puppy1002
    puppy1002 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Gum works for me or today I had peanut butter and chocolate protein powder mixed together, tastes like peanutbutter cups but I had a lite eating day.
  • tiffanyrose519
    tiffanyrose519 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Eat an apple and have some green tea.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is quite common. Something to do with circadian rhythms. I'm no expert, so I won't attempt to explain it. I find that if I eat more protein rather than carbs for lunch, I do better. Or a caffeine drink helps me too. On Sundays, I give in & nap!