Lifters I need your advice

Options
Hello there MFP,

Okay so I want to switch up my exerise routine. I have been doing 4-5 days of cardio until I meet my calories burned in workout log. I also do strength training alternating between upper and lower body. I have seen so many great results for people who focus mainly on weight training. I know there are threads out there about this, but honestly all of the information out there was over whelming. So could someone help me come up with a workout routine for strength training that is effective and that I understand? Also, I how much cardio should I do with this new strength routine? And should I keep my calories at 1500 (on non workout days)?

Thanks in advance for the information.

Replies

• sarantonio
    sarantonio Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nique85
    Nique85 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    bump???? anyone????
  • wizzyg
    wizzyg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use www.thetrainingstationinc.com. Free printable workout plans for different levels, and the routines alternate pretty regularly.they're really simple to understand as well. I stick to 60 mins of treadmill, elliptical, or bike, but move to an Arc Trainer if I want a more intense / shorter cardio workout.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I would look into Stronglifts 5x5 or New rules of lifting for women. Both have been proven to be very effective. There are also groups for both workouts on here for more support.

I personally do stronglifts and I love it. It is simple and works the hell out of me.

As for you calories we would need more information as to how tall you are how active you are the rest of the day and if you are eating your exercise calories back or not
  • mstjmack26
    mstjmack26 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I take a PowerCut class twice a week. It is full body weight training. I did it on my own for awhile with apps on my iPad but I wasn't seeing the result I thought I should see. My advice is to look and see if your gym or local YMCA has a all weight training class you could attend.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    in order of awesomeness:
    Starting strength
    strong lifts 5*5
    new rules of lifting for women

all 3 are good for beginners and you will see results as long as you are being honest with yourself and progressively increasing the weights as you should.

i personally do a mix of starting strength and olympic lifts. as long as you aren't consistently eating all the foodz then you'll find that you more you lift the slimmer you'll get
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    in order of awesomeness:
    Starting strength
    strong lifts 5*5

beat me to it
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    in order of awesomeness:
    Starting strength
    strong lifts 5*5

all 3 are good for beginners and you will see results as long as you are being honest with yourself and progressively increasing the weights as you should.

i personally do a mix of starting strength and olympic lifts. as long as you aren't consistently eating all the foodz then you'll find that you more you lift the slimmer you'll get

This.
  • sarantonio
    Options
    in order of awesomeness:
    Starting strength
    strong lifts 5*5

This.

Ok, these are books...? I hope I don't sound like a complete idiot
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Middle one's a website - prepare for a LOT of junk mail - worth it though ( you should get the other two on amazon, no problem).
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    SS and NROL are books.
    SL is a free ebook and website.

Many people go to SL because it's free, and this might be just my imagination, but most of those people end up not even reading and doing the program wrong.
  • sarantonio
    Options
    T:flowerforyou: hanks
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, well strength training doesn't always imply weights...though that is the ultimate goal. I think first work on functional strength. I love the programs mentioned above, but they are very very compound and require a bit of kinetic chain training. Someone that starts squatting but squats wrong, develops a "wrong" squat. These movements are like a golf swing...if you build bad habits..they will be hard to change later on. The "beginner strength" programs assume too much that your form is already immaculate..which is almost never the case.

Start with something like bodyweight overhead squats, pushups, assisted dips and assisted pullups to train the proper recruitment patterns. From there train with a long pole or wooden bar in your hands, graduate to the olympic bar (which is already a 45 pound weight), then start to add weight to it slowly.

That's my two cents! Good luck..
  • MellyMel340
    MellyMel340 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Download "JEFIT" to your android or i phone i use the pro version and its awesome. read for yourself at www.jefit.com
  • Nique85
    Nique85 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!!! I really appreciate it!