Rough Day

Options
I had a really discouraging day today. I had my yearly checkup at my women's doctor and when I stepped on their scale it said I was over 200lbs. It made me feel so bad, because I've been working hard and eating better. I also had 4 different people ask me if I was pregnant today, and this was after I left the doctor's office.

On the bright side, I found that the Doctor's scale is way off. When I went in for a check up at my regular doctor, my weight was at 183 which is what I've been weighing in at here at home.

Seeing that 200lbs though really got me down. I wanted to slip back into old habits and buy myself a snack to cheer myself up. Instead I went out for a long walk then came home put on some relaxing music and did some yoga.

So what do you all do when you have a day where it seems like everything is bringing you down?

Replies

• sweetsarahv
    sweetsarahv Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    that sounds like a horrific day, but i couldn't be more impressed with how you handled it! keep your head up. you're changing every day :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • reese307
    reese307 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i was feeling down today especially after i celebrated valentines day a little tooooo much... and so i started the 30 day shred today.. it really helped ! :flowerforyou:
  • Lovinglish
    Lovinglish Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. I hate when I go to the gyn and their scales r off then my home scale. however that is very good and encouraging you shook off the thought and actually exercised. Very good keep up your hard work!!!!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Look forward to a new day. This is a journey you will be on the rest of your life and there will be bumps. Just hang in there.
  • d8402l
    d8402l Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I know there will be ups and downs, but I'm really working hard to change how I cope. Food used to always be a fallback for me. I ate when I was happy and I ate when I was sad. I'm trying to assess what is going on, and decide if I'm really hungry or if I'm just bored/happy/sad/anxious/whatever. If I'm not actually hungry I try to find something to occupy me. I'll go for a walk, or work out, and I've started crafting and writing again, so I'm not overexerting myself by exercising too much.

It's still a struggle, and I'm sure it's something I'll always have to work on, but I know it'll get easier. I just need to push through the downs.
  • lateefmar
    Options
    The saying is that no one made it here in one day. Like others said, when we wake up tomorrow this day will be over. The bright side is that you know the scale was off so loosing almost 20 lbs in an hour sounds great to me :-D
    This a journey, your support from your pals here will help you finish the journey. Tomorrow we start a new food and exercise diary. Tomorrow we continue to journey.
  • d8402l
    Options
    The saying is that no one made it here in one day. Like others said, when we wake up tomorrow this day will be over. The bright side is that you know the scale was off so loosing almost 20 lbs in an hour sounds great to me :-D
    This a journey, your support from your pals here will help you finish the journey. Tomorrow we start a new food and exercise diary. Tomorrow we continue to journey.

That's true. It's a really good way to look at it. I like the quote in your signature BTW.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    BEEEG hug fo you :flowerforyou:

h982243C6
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    make small short term goals like 5 or 8 lbs, write them down somewhere (or log them online or post them on facebook or in an electronic journal or something) and reward yourself with something for each small goal you reach (not food though, something like a new book or two new books or whatever things you like, but don't buy anything similar unless you reach your goal. make it something you really like doing and it'll help you stay motivated).

then just keep your eyes on that goal and not the goal of losing a ton of weight. small goals are easy to reach, and when we lag a bit or misstep it isn't as daunting to get back on track than if your goal is to lose like 70 lbs and you misstep (and then you quit because the overall goal seems unattainable).

just keep making small goals and eventually all the small goals add up to a new you.

you can even start off at like 2 or 3 and then the last few goals can be 10+, but reward yourself more for achieving the bigger goals.
  • d8402l
    Options
    BEEEG hug fo you :flowerforyou:

h982243C6

That is so cute. Thanks it really made me smile :)
  • KimLoan325
    Options
    Congratulations on your progress so far! Getting started is the hardest part (I can say this as a one week veteran - haha!) but you will gain momentum and self-confidence. So glad you came here to get some support and did yoga instead of a snack - that's fantastic.

The last time I was really committed to getting healthy, I teamed up with my au pair. The insurance company declined her coverage because she wrote 280 on her application (so I'm not sure what her actual weight was... probably more than that) on a 5'8" frame. Her regular cycle had stopped and her weight was affecting her blood pressure and endocrine system.

Once a week, same scale, same day, same time we'd do a weigh-in. We'd go to the grocery store and I'd make her hold bags of flour that represented her weight loss. After a few months, we needed a grocery cart, and she eventually shed 80+ pounds without special foods or pills... Steady, safe, and all things in moderation!

It made us both cry when she reached her goal and we piled 17 x 5 lb. bags of flour into a shopping cart and did a few victory laps around the grocery store, whooping and hollering.

It's important to keep celebrating your victories daily, weekly, monthly. Give yourself compliments, and give them to friends! They will help you if you start to falter.

Happy and Healthy Friday to all!