I will not Emotionally Overeat

Options
needless to say I am an emotional eater, BIG TIME!!. Well today is aweful because my husband is a major jerk (well he is worse, but I won't use that language here). So all day today I have to keep telling myself, I will not emotionally over eat, I will not emotionally over eat. Sorry just blah blahing here right now.

Replies

• mandys1979
    mandys1979 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am also an emotional eater so I feel your pain there. But just remember that if you do overeat today, that tomorrow is a new day.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    regarding self talk... negatives (like not, don't, won't etc) can backfire.... it's better to turn them into a positive, e.g. "I will deal with my emotions in a healthy way, I will deal with my emotions in a healthy way" - etc. This is because the subconscious mind does not process negatives.

Don't think about a purple penguin. You just thought about a purple penguin when you read that, didn't you? Just hearing the words makes you conjure an image in your mind, so the instruction "Don't think about ..... " means you think about it, then tell yourself not to think about it... instead make a statement of what you DO want, in this case, you want to deal with your emotions in a better way. So make a list of better ways to deal with your emotions, and then self talk yourself into doing those, e.g. "I will comfort myself with a nice hot bath" (or whatever) rather than "I will not emotionally overeat"

(this also works with small children, for example, if my child does something like put her feet on the table, I'll say "put your feet under the table" and they do it, while "don't put your feet on the table" doesn't work very well as the child is made to think about having their feet on the table, rather than having their feet under the table.)

hope that helps
  • sweetsarahv
    sweetsarahv Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    just think about how much more unhappy you would be if your husband is a jerk AND you are putting on pounds again...

eating doesn't make bad stuff good OR good stuff better...

dig deep!
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    regarding self talk... negatives (like not, don't, won't etc) can backfire.... it's better to turn them into a positive, e.g. "I will deal with my emotions in a healthy way, I will deal with my emotions in a healthy way" - etc. This is because the subconscious mind does not process negatives.

Don't think about a purple penguin. You just thought about a purple penguin when you read that, didn't you? Just hearing the words makes you conjure an image in your mind, so the instruction "Don't think about ..... " means you think about it, then tell yourself not to think about it... instead make a statement of what you DO want, in this case, you want to deal with your emotions in a better way. So make a list of better ways to deal with your emotions, and then self talk yourself into doing those, e.g. "I will comfort myself with a nice hot bath" (or whatever) rather than "I will not emotionally overeat"

(this also works with small children, for example, if my child does something like put her feet on the table, I'll say "put your feet under the table" and they do it, while "don't put your feet on the table" doesn't work very well as the child is made to think about having their feet on the table, rather than having their feet under the table.)

hope that helps

This!