I hear it helps not to eat past 8pm

Options
Hi,
Are you really more likely to lose weight if you dont eat past 8pm?Thoughts

Replies

• justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    I don't think it matters as long as you burn more than you take in. Unless you have reflux or integestion issues when you go to bed. I know from personal experience it never has mattered.
  • babycrisci
    Options
    In my experience it does help to stop eating after 8. That stopping number should probably be adjusted based on when you actually go to sleep though...
    We simply don't need to eat that much food as the day goes on because we normally use less and less energy. (most people use energy during the day and relax at night...). If you exercise at night you may want to ignore that cut off time. Just don't eat right before bed...
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    In my experience it does help to stop eating after 8. That stopping number should probably be adjusted based on when you actually go to sleep though...
    We simply don't need to eat that much food as the day goes on because we normally use less and less energy. (most people use energy during the day and relax at night...). If you exercise at night you may want to ignore that cut off time. Just don't eat right before bed...

None of the above is true. Your body does not stop or slow down it's inner workings (organ function, nervous system, metabolism) simply because you sat down on the couch at the end of the day.

Meal timing is about personal preference. I reguarly eat hundreds and hundreds of calories after 8pm. I eat RIGHT before bed. It hasn't affected my weight loss.

Eat when it works for you. There is no reason not to eat late at night - unless it makes you feel bad or gives you medical issues (acid reflux, etc).
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I literally just had this conversation with my husband. I was saying that I still have quite a few calories to eat today (I'm in the US, central time). He said I shouldn't eat too close to bedtime. Thanks to the knowledgeable people here, I was able to tell him that it's simply not true.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I eat over 1k cals after 8pm almost everyday.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    nope, has no bearing on weight loss or body composition
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I love to have a bowl of oatmeal right before bed. I never sleep as soundly as I do on a full tummy.
    BTW, calories cannot tell time.
    :drinker:
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    My ears are my most useful weight-loss tool, for sure; I try to ignore that grey mass between them.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's total bull****.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner and have snacks after 8pm more days than not.
  • Sharkington
    Options
    I eat up until 12 a.m. (I have a different schedule than a lot of people) many nights and have not had any problems losing, or now, maintaining my weight. I do not feel bloated when I wake up, either, but I know it is different for everyone. Just do what makes you feel best - if you don't like eating after a certain time, or you wake up feeling off, that's fine as long as you're getting enough calories in your diet throughout the day.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    You can eat at any time, but for me, I try to not eat a few hours before bed. I find when I do that, that I wake up less tired and bloated...but that's me. I try to eat throughout the day and not get too hungry. I think many people eat emotionally after a certain hour and they could benefit from not eating after a certain time...just my opinion.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my calories later in the day it doesn't matter! Your body doesn't know how to tell time!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    no
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,129 Member
    Options
    Myth.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Over a 100 lbs lost - and eating around 30% of my 2000 calories a day after 8pm - so my personal experience says it is nonsense......

Eat a deficit (but make sure you actually eat enough) and you will lose the weight
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Meal timing has nothing to do with weight control. I eat 2500 calories within 90 minutes of going to bed most nights.
  • cpocica
    Options
    It is good not to eat 2-3 hours before bedtime, especially if you have Acid Reflux problems. :wink:
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Often, my evening routine is: Workout, intake some protein, take a shower, go to sleep. Works for me:)
  • earlswimsuit
    Options
    In my opinion it's best not to eat anything after dinner UNLESS it's a light fruit. That just stops me from eating unnecessarily. I think you'll lose that extra bit of weight that way but others can disagree.