24 Hour Fitness Classes

Options
I have a membership at 24 hour fitness, but haven't really taken advantage of it. I walk on the treadmill occasionally and do water aerobics a couple times a month, but I want to get up the courage to try another class. I want to see if anyone has any recommendations for someone like me who is new to exercise, out of shape and overweight. I don't want to do a class that is so high intensity that I can't do the movements and where I'm surrounded by only people who are already fit. I do a Boot Camp workout at my church, and I have a hard time keeping up, but I'm with people I know and that makes it fun. I'm nervous about doing a class at the gym though. Any suggestions on classes that are good for beginners? Thanks!

Replies

• squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Options
    If they have Zumba, I have been told that anyone can do it, and it's very fun! I'm thinking of trying it myself!
  • 2daughtermom
    Options
    I'm 54 years old and have taken up taekwondo. It not only helps to tone and build muscle, it also helps to lose the pounds. One hour of class I burn over 1000 calories. Had no idea I would like it as much as I do. Maybe you might be interested in something like that.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Definitely try 24-set, I love this class. The most complicated part is getting your weights and step set up at the begnning of class, and everyone will be happy to help you with that. And once you've done that once it's easy. The class is my favorite beceause It's simple (but physically challenging) weight lifting alternated with cardio. No complicated moves, you can adjust the intensity easily by using light weights and modifying the cardio steps (the instructor will show you), and it will really help improve your fitness.

The 24 set class will definitely be popular at your club, so show up 15-20 min early and get a ticket at the front desk.

24 hour does have zumba, I don't do it because the classes are sooo crowded, but that definitely speaks to its popularity!
  • mesa4
    mesa4 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I found some zumba class samples on the internet that you can try. Looked complicated to me. There are some hard moves. Just google it.
  • 33KIKI
    33KIKI Posts: 304
    Options
    i GO TO zUMBA - That is fun -but depending what gym you go to can be a bit crowded- but most people go in and dance (weather on beat or not) and have fun..and sweat. I also tak Spin 2-3 times a week- rough the 1st time but burn alot of calories and most teachers tell you take it at your pace and they help you set up the bike. I have also taken the water aerobics but I was the youngest and felt a lil goofy but I told myself I will do it again. Let's see oh i also took this kick boxing class- very high pace but everyone really freindly and even though I got lost sometimes- I laughed it off and kept going.

Anyways most classes seem fun..I have never done the boot camp or the yoga or pilates..but if you try those let me know.
  • CAworkout
    CAworkout Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I take tons of classes at 24 Hour Fitness and I would recommend Zumba, especially if you're still working on getting in shape. They're all really good classes, you just need to find the one that's right for you. I also really enjoy SET as it's a great full body workout that incorporates weights and cardio. I would recommend you talk to members in the classes and ask what instructors they prefer and why as different instructors can teach the same class at different intensities. I'm sure the people at your gym that take the classes will be more than willing to share and will probably have good recommendations.
  • alexzandra
    alexzandra Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. Not only am I not fit, but I am extremely clumsy. Nothing graceful about me! I tried a class once (don't remember what it was) and walked out after 2 minutes. I felt so awkard and out of place. I'm glad you posted this as it has inspired me to try a class-or atleast consider it. I'm thinking i'll try SET. Thank you. Please let us know how it works out.
  • KaeChelle
    KaeChelle Posts: 576
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips! I think the important thing is just to try my best and have fun. I'm trying to break through this mental thing where I worry about what people will think of me or where I tell myself "I can't do it". I've lost 23 pounds so far, so obviously I can do it! And if I don't give up, I'll get stronger and better at the exercises. Thanks again!
  • KaeChelle
    KaeChelle Posts: 576
    Options
    Okay, I finally went and I did 24 S.E.T. It was tough, but I'm proud of myself for being brave enough to go and for doing my best. Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • CAworkout
    CAworkout Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • angapalooza
    Options
    Hey ladies! I know this post is an old one but I'm hoping I'll get a response. I used to LOVE the 24 SET but they discontinued it a number of years back. Do any of you remember the routine? I know it alternated between 3 minutes of weights & 3 minutes of cardio but wish I remembered more specifics... Thanks!