Total Gym?

Options
Anyone have or tried the total gym, like the one chuck norris endorses? My dad (54) saw the infomercial and is thinking of getting one. He can find it on craigslist for half the price of it new, but my question is, would it be worth using? He doesn't want to have a gym membership, but wants to get in better shape.

Replies

• cnlargent
    cnlargent Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    bump?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Well, it's not better than nothing.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I use it at the gym with a trainer and I say go for it!
  • JustTracyB
    Options
    I had one back a few years. I liked it. Once we had kids, and lost the extra room in the house, we had to sell it. We didn't have the one that chuck Norris pushes, but a model or two above that.
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I LOVE our Total Gym..... LOVE IT!

I've been using it for 15-20 mins 3 to 4 times a week for 10 weeks, along with running 2 miles 4 days a week and spinning once a week. I have lost 15.9 lbs but the thing I love the most is the 19" I've lost and the amazing transformation I can see in my bodies tone. I eat my BMR plus 50% of my exercise calories so clearly the results aren't from going the low cal way. And my energy is through the roof!

I understand the cardio is the main fat burning contributor here, but I've done this song and dance before with only cardio and I've never liked my body at this weight and I do now!!! Still a ways from goal and I can't even imagine what the end result will be!

Total Gym baby!

Disclosure.... I do have the xls so I can't speak to the other models. :)
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Love my Total Gym. I did get the one currently advertised. I use it on Tuesdays and Thursdays (while I do cardio/elliptical M, W, & F). I have never been so fit. I am building muscle slowly, just as I am losing weight slowly. This will be a permanent change in my lifestyle. On weekends, I may or may not workout "on purpose," meaning cardio or strength training, or both. But when spring hits, I will be exercising NOT on purpose -- that is, tennis. That's not "exercise." That's fat melting FUN!

Back to the point. Love my total gym, and don't have to invest a ridiculous amout of time in to use it.

BTW, there are cheaper models of the TG to be found at ****s Sporting Goods. That's where I got my first one. Loved it so much, but wanted something that felt sturdier and more accessories, so I order the one you see on TV on line. Love it, love it.
  • BullletproofPaleoman
    Options
    We have the QVC model, which is much cheaper than the one Chuck Norris endorses. Great piece of equipment!
  • shortfire
    shortfire Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I tracked my TG workout with my Wahoo Fitness Blue - Heart Rate Monitor.

I just finished the Men's Intermediate - Upper Body - Day 1, 3 workout.

I am 5'10", 190 lb., male.

I did the minimum numer of set and reps for all exercises in the prescribed workout. It took me exactly 27 min. and 16 sec. to complete. I burned 264 calories.

Hope that helps.