running in the snow?

Options
Hi,
I just found out about the Couch to 5k program, and I'm really interrested in starting to run. It seems like a good way to start for a beginner like me. I have a few questions for you, experienced runners.
1- The training recommends to beginners to do 30 seconds of jogging, and 90 seconds of walking. I live in NB, Canada, and there's a lot of snow these days. :grumble: I can't imagine wearing a watch on my wrist and removing my glove every few seconds to see if it's time to walk or run. I don't have a cell phone either, but I think my daughter would let me borrow her iPod. Is there an app for a timer that beeps when I want it to? I could program it before my run? Or do you recommend something else?
2- Should I run with my boots or should I buy some sort of sneekers that are not slippery? I feel this is a dumb questions, but I really am a beginner!!

If you have other advice, feel free to give them!! :wink:
Josée

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I lived in Minnesota for years and just ran in running shoes. I think when it was real cold I wore two pairs of socks. I never ran in boots or had anything special. You should be fine. You might want to go to a running-shoe store (not a sports shop that sells running shoes; but a bona-fide running-shoe store) and ask them about tread.
    You don't get very cold when you run because you are moving so much.
    I never slipped.
  • sarahjay1
    sarahjay1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    There are a few apps you could use for the Ipod. Just search for "interval timer". I had one (I think it was called Gymboss) and you program your own intervals and can pick a sound for each one. When listening to music, the music will fade and the sound would play. I set mine to a fog horn to start running and a bell (like during boxing) when it was time to walk again.

As for your second question, I would like to know the answer to this as well. I did a 5K in September but haven't ran outside since (Ontario, Canada here!). I've heard the treadmill is easier because it pushes your feet back whereas outside you have to force yourself forward. I have Addidas Climacool running shoes so running with wet ground would just get my feet soaked so I will need to invest in some sort of outside footwear that is safe for running (i.e. not slippery).

As for other advice, I'm not that experienced but be careful running outside when it's really cold out. Your lungs will need time to adjust to the cold.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,068 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be exact in your timing. Count 30 steps for 30 seconds....as soon as youv'e caught your breath, run again..it's not an exact science!

And regular running shoes are fine (with good tread). You're only out for 30 minutes.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,068 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store. You need good shoes. That is the most important thing, whether you run on the treadmill or outside. Talk to the people there - they will be more than happy to help you. Running stores love new runners.
  • stongjos
    stongjos Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    There are a few apps you could use for the Ipod. Just search for "interval timer". I had one (I think it was called Gymboss) and you program your own intervals and can pick a sound for each one. When listening to music, the music will fade and the sound would play. I set mine to a fog horn to start running and a bell (like during boxing) when it was time to walk again.

As for your second question, I would like to know the answer to this as well. I did a 5K in September but haven't ran outside since (Ontario, Canada here!). I've heard the treadmill is easier because it pushes your feet back whereas outside you have to force yourself forward. I have Addidas Climacool running shoes so running with wet ground would just get my feet soaked so I will need to invest in some sort of outside footwear that is safe for running (i.e. not slippery).

As for other advice, I'm not that experienced but be careful running outside when it's really cold out. Your lungs will need time to adjust to the cold.
  • stongjos
    Options
    WOW!! Good advice so far! Thank you! :smile:
  • goose314
    goose314 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I count breaths instead of seconds with interval training. Running in snow is challenging and it's easy to get frustrated. If you start now then by the time the snow melts you'll feel like a pro!
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    You'll want to look into a trail running shoe designed for the snow. I've also heard you can put screws into a pair of shoes you already have, but I've never needed to do this (WA is wet, not a lot of snow where I'm at). I second going to a running store. They'll be able to help.
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Always only run in a good pair of running shoes (and always buy a 1/2 size bigger then what you usually wear). As for the weather, I really worry more about slipping on ice then running in the snow KWIM?

I would say if you know it is icy out try to run on a treadmill or a local running track or park you know the path will be free of ice and snow.

Also, always run facing traffic and on the side of the road (NOT the sidewalk, you can easily trip and fall on uneven sidewalks).

Good Luck !!
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    Options
    dollar stores often carry a kitchen timer-set it for 30 seconds and then run it for 3 repeats on your walk breaks?

most run shops sell interval timers-my iphone does mine! Im on Ont Canada-we HAVE SNOW!!! and loads of it- I hate cold wet feet so I run with gortex trail running shoes in the winter
    Depending ont he windchill you may want to layer up with some technical wicking fabrics- dont stres too much upfront tho, have fun, check out your lubrary on running for beginners resources too!
  • justagirlgeek
    justagirlgeek Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    There's a few different free C25K apps. Do a search. They'll come up. :)

And do NOT run in your boots. You'll need to get some GOOD shoes from a running store. Running in boots is just asking for injury, foot pain, knee pain, back pain, etc.

Have fun!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I just count but I'd love the 'zombies run' app (got the wrong kind of iPod though). I've heard others say its really good and has a beginners level.
  • _ting_
    _ting_ Posts: 45
    Options
    For doing intervals, I carry my watch in my pocket (with such short intervals, you may want to keep it in your hand). This is before I got a watch with an interval alarm program. Now on cold running days, I keep it under my hat or around my headband. Can you tell that I hate wearing a watch?

As for snow running I have used my gaiters attached to light hikers. I've even jogged wearing snowshoes to stay on top of the snow :bigsmile:
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Ontario here :)

I went for a run today, outside :)

Absolutely run in (good) shoes and not boots. Invest in a few good pairs of winter running socks (check out the Running Room if there's one close by). Unless it's really windy out your feet should warm up nicely and be comfy after a few minutes of jogging.

For slippery days (icy, or very hard-packed snow), get a pair of these:

http://ca.shop.runningroom.com/accessories/winter/yaktrax-run.html

or these:

http://ca.shop.runningroom.com/accessories/winter/due-north-traction-aids-all-purpose.html

For the watch: I simply strap mine on a little higher on my wrist (like on my forearm), right over my coat. No need to remove mitts/gloves :)
  • stongjos
    Options
    Thank you so much everybody for the advice! We have a Running Room here in town, I'll go take a look at what they have. And maybe I'll try using a cheapest way to track my time. I'll see how it goes. I'll let you know in a few days how it went! Thank you for all the help and encouragement!! :happy:
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Good luck. i think you'll have fun. I never minded running in weather and snow; actually I always thought it was kind of exciting. Of course, I was young then . . .
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    This thread has some great ideas:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/401508-running-in-cold-weather

I started running in southern Ontario in October, and I love it! I'm visiting some family in Montreal at the moment, and there's no sidewalks in this part of town, so it's been challenging. In terms of gear, I just wear normal running shoes. If the roads aren't plowed, I have YakTrax (ice grippers) that fit over my shoes and work really well. I also have some awesome thermal socks, I think they're by Mizuno, that heat up when your feet get wet. The other piece of clothing I couldn't run without when it's cold is a headband that covers my ears... if there's even a little bit of wind without it, I get a terrible earache.

There's been a lot of good ideas regarding what to do about the timing. I do a semi-complicated thing involving GarageBand on my computer and building myself a 30-minute music track that has pauses in the music built in for my run/walk cues. I don't have an iPhone, just an iPod, so any app involving an internet connection doesn't work for me. But I think some of the ones someone suggested might work without wifi too, and sound a lot easier than my method, although I'm pretty used to it now. :)