Feeling very uninspired! Is it even possible?

Options
I started my weight loss journey on Jan. 22, 2013. I am well aware that losing weight and being more healthy takes time. I just wonder if it's even possible to get to my goal! :( I am only a 1200 cal diet and I work out 4-5 times a week for
An hour an fifteen minutes. I do cardio on the treadmill and elliptical and also weight lifting.

Height: 5'5
Starting weight: 155
Current weight: 147
Goal weight: 125ish

I weighed around 120-125 before my first child. I never dieted or worked out. After she was born I weighed 140. I didn't try to diet or exercise afterwards. I became pregnant again with my son and weighed 160 post partum. I have an hour glass figure and most people don't think I look big. I just know I want to be healthier and feel better about myself. Today is one of those days that I wonder if it's even possible!! :(

Replies

• lawrence_warmachine
    Options
    Sure it's possible.

I reckon you may benefit by traing shorter times, and a few less times a week.
    The reason: you might benefit from more intensity/urgency....and the rest days will help.

Don't worry about your weight so much. Track your progress. Ie, how much stronger you're getting...how quicker...how much more stamina, etc.

Try also measuring where you want to see the actual change. maybe it's not even that.
    I believe what you want is to 'feel good'. Either about how you look...or about being 'you'.
    You don't have to be skinny, light or 'lighter'.

the main things are you're healthy and doing stuff...and living your life, with positive outlook.

:)

Law'
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Yes it is and EAT MORE! You're SO not eating enough for how much you're working out!!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You sound very motivated, for sure!

I would suggest you eat more, especially if you are working out so much. I weigh 125 and I eat 1800 a day and still lose about a pound a month (not really trying anymore).

If you use MFP's calculations, eat back exercise calories so you don't damage your body (like losing lean mass instead of fat and slowing your metabolism).
  • jmeprince
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I forgot to add that I do eat back my exercise calories so I won't slow my metabolism. I know it's a process I'm just not a patient person lol. My clothes are fitting better, but no one has really noticed yet. It's pretty disheartening!
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    it didnt go on in a week its not going to come off that quick either.... wish it would :) yes its worth it, yes you can do it :) for what its worth i lost 20 lbs or more before anyone said anything. a lot of people may notice and not say anything in case they are wrong..... trust me ive been down this road i may want to mention it to someone to encourage them but i make damn sure they are losing weight before i open my mouth and insert my foot
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I forgot to add that I do eat back my exercise calories so I won't slow my metabolism. I know it's a process I'm just not a patient person lol. My clothes are fitting better, but no one has really noticed yet. It's pretty disheartening!

Few people lose enough in three weeks for others to notice a difference. Even if they think they see something, they don't know if they should say anything.
  • jmeprince
    Options

Few people lose enough in three weeks for others to notice a difference. Even if they think they see something, they don't know if they should say anything.

Yes that's true. I guess I just feel like since I'm busting my *kitten* it would be nice if someone noticed lol.
  • jmeprince
    Options
    it didnt go on in a week its not going to come off that quick either.... wish it would :) yes its worth it, yes you can do it :) for what its worth i lost 20 lbs or more before anyone said anything. a lot of people may notice and not say anything in case they are wrong..... trust me ive been down this road i may want to mention it to someone to encourage them but i make damn sure they are losing weight before i open my mouth and insert my foot

Thank you! I'm hoping by this time next month other people will start to notice.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Really strange for me that I NEVER comment on people's appearance and I really get anxious if somebody does on mine (even small things like hair color), and that there are people who are actually waiting for others to say something lol. People can really be so different.
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    anything is possible - you just have to believe in you :)
  • jmeprince
    Options
    Well it's not like I'm dying for attention lol. I was just saying it might be a little bit of a motivation booster if someone noticed my hard work. You're right though, people are different.
  • jmeprince
    Options
    Sure it's possible.

I reckon you may benefit by traing shorter times, and a few less times a week.
    The reason: you might benefit from more intensity/urgency....and the rest days will help.

Don't worry about your weight so much. Track your progress. Ie, how much stronger you're getting...how quicker...how much more stamina, etc.

Try also measuring where you want to see the actual change. maybe it's not even that.
    I believe what you want is to 'feel good'. Either about how you look...or about being 'you'.
    You don't have to be skinny, light or 'lighter'.

the main things are you're healthy and doing stuff...and living your life, with positive outlook.

:)

Law'

You are very right! It's not really the numbers I'm worried about. It's feeling like myself again! Thanks for our advice! :)
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Yes! you can do it! I'm also 5'5 but my GW is 140. I started @ 225 though
  • dittmk
    Options
    I never wait for someone else to notice something about myself... I either notice it myself and celebrate or I announce it to the world! I read recently that it takes 20 pounds for someone else to notice you've changed.
  • travelerrr
    Options
    I've lost just over 30 pounds, which is almost halfway to my goal, and one person has noticed. A couple of people knew what I was doing, but you would think others would notice by now. I think it has to do with losing at a slow, somewhat steady pace (5 months). People you see frequently won't notice as easily. I have gotten a couple of "You look good" comments that seem to be related, but just the one, "You've lost weight!"

I really don't mind, though, I don't really want people bringing a lot of attention to it. The one person I would like to comment and who definitely will is my doctor. My weight had crept up over the last few years, and she will be happy that I am headed towards a healthier weight. This is for me, and I know I'm doing well and looking better, one month at a time. In a year, I can be the same size or I can be smaller. I'll end up at that point in time either way (knock on wood). I'm okay with a slow journey.
  • kippug
    Options
    OMG! yes you can do this! I'm old- my daughter is on here-- I realized in Octoober I had hit 151(I'm 5'4)! my whole life I had been in the 125-132 range and got busy wokring and stuff the last 5 years and just put it on-- so I decided it had to come off before I'm just too old to do it! so I stopped the Dr Peppers--- sad sad sad... and was trying to eat healthy and managed to lose 5 lbs and lost motivation then found MyFitnessPal- and have dropped another 5 or so--- anyway-- this thing is great-- I put in what the calories will be -before- I order or eat. It has stopped my Taco Bell trips- they were for convenience and it's not worth it.. I keep soup that is lowcal and 1%yougurt on hand.. and my work snack has gone from chips and snack cakes -- to a bag of raw carrots and yogurt! I also just added a fitbit to my program and its great at making me do just a little more so I can reach my goals. You can do it-- incorporate your kids-- family walks-- play with them at the park.. Good luck-- I feel so much better losing just those 10 lbs! you will too. it will happen faster than you think! even if it takes a year-- its still worth the effort and then you just maintian and never get there again-