How to deal with sore muscles?

Options
I've started NMTZ (Jillian) again and my muscles are sore. What's the best thing to do? Keep doing the same exercises? Do different exercises? Take a break? Don't suggest soak, I have a phobia (don't ask). I chose to do a different kind of exercise today, Zumba. Still sore. Not sure what I should do tomorrow. Would love to hear suggestions. :)

Replies

• dr3w_s
    dr3w_s Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Rest, do light exercise to increase bloodflow, massage (my favourite)
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Your muscles need time to recover - take a day or two off. Ibuprofin and lots of water.

I was going to say soak...lol
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    It depends on how sore I am and my energy level. Usually I just carry on with usual exercise routine.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Light exercise, like a walk, will get the blood flowing to wash the repair chemicals out of your muscles.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You'll actually probably feel better if you do it again. If you rest until it stops hurting you'll just start all over again.
  • SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Sore v. Pain. If you are sore you are usually doing it right, if you are in pain, take some time off and check your form. Also, I like chocolate milk after my workouts to help decrease soreness. And lots of water.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I love having sore muscles from exercise. I'd say just enjoy it but it seems like you don't.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Stretch- maybe yoga, stay active, NSAIDs and warm showers
  • laciemn
    laciemn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I suggested not quitting but not doing the same exercises. For a few days, switch to beginner exercises. Focus on getting your heart rate up a little, stretching out(gently), just stay active. Here's one I do on days I don't feel well:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewdxh3GrOp8
    It is still kind of hard if you aren't really fit already.
  • laura0389
    Options
    I kept working out throught the same exercises while I had sore muscle and it went away after a day. Basically I worked out the first day, then workout on the second day. when I woke up on the third dy thats when I was eally sore but I decided to work out through it and the next day I was feeling better. I was definitely glad that I decided to keep going. Just take some advil and u will be fine.
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    lol. I just did this. I did a Body Pump (Les Miles) class for the first time. The next day I could barely walk and lets not talk about having to sit and pee. So I decided if I wait until it goes away, I will never get the results I want. So the following day I decided to take a tennis lesson for about an hour and a half. I was so sore that night that I doubled my dose of pain meds and had to have my husband help me off the couch after sitting for a while. The next day I worked and was walking around like frankenstein and all of my staff enjoyed making fun of me. But that night I went for a jog anyway. I was so proud of myself. And once I got moving the tightness released. By the following morning I was less sore then I had been and took 2 days off and began again. Now this is my new routine. I love feeling a little sore. I feel like I have really done something.
  • peniculala
    peniculala Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts everyone. In the past I always took days off, but I don't want to do that anymore so I might do NMTZ tomorrow before I go out. It's mostly my legs that are really sore (leaning toward pain) and it wasn't too bad this morning, but following Zumba this afternoon I'm having some problems after sitting. I have a lot of writing to do for school, so I'm sitting a lot. Tomorrow should be more active though. I've been taking Ibuprofen, so I'll keep that up and I am a water guzzler, so that's not a problem. :drinker: I've been massaging and I think that helps. I'll have DH do some more before bed. :happy:
  • mrbossman
    mrbossman Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I take Bodytech - Bcaa & Glutamine, 1 scoop before and after work outs. I dont seam to get as sore. Make sure you are getting plenty of water and protein.

Hope this helps It worked for me.