Muscle v. gaining

Options
How can you actually tell if you are gaining muscle weight. I have been working out 6 days a week for the past month (running, cardio and 2-3 days of weights). I have actually gained weight which is the exact opposite of what I thought would happen. Very frustrating. My clothes are fitting the same and I actually have some definition over my ab area, but the numbers on the scale are disappointing. Anyone else experience this. My caloric intake is 1450 and I do eat back my exercise calories.

Replies

• cedder1
    cedder1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Bump.....does anyone have any advice on this?
  • skiersteve12345
    skiersteve12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    strength increase gives a decent indication on gains, apart from that just check the mirror and take photos every week :)
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If y went from little to no exercise to regularly working out, your muscles may be retaining water. While someone new to lifting can experience some muscle gain, unless you are lifting really heavy and eating a surplus, you're not gaining significant muscle mass. You just need to give it time.
  • cedder1
    Options
    I have been exercising for 8 years (weights and cardio) just have added a significant amount of running the last month. That is what is weird...why would the scales be going up?
  • sidegrinder
    sidegrinder Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think the body supercompensates with water/glycogen. If I STOP running for a 2-3wk stretch, I will drop ten pounds EVERY time ;o) How much running are we talking about?
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    If your clothes are fitting the same, why does it matter what number is on the scale? You are doing this to be healthy, look and feel good, right?
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    A few things. The fact that you have gained weight over the month indicates some muscle gain and the associated water that it implies.

A good gauge of muscle gain is a proportionate gain in strength, and rep progression. I guess the only question I have is what are you trying to accomplish, exactly?

A toned body will require you to gain some weight, as muscle stretching skin and fat will produce "tone" assuming low bodyfat. If you want to just be skinny, that's going to be something completely in the other direction.
  • cedder1
    Options
    Started at 10 miles a week, now up to 17. Increasing each week to train for a 1/2
  • cedder1
    Options
    I guess I want to be skinny but with muscle.....don't know if that is possible:laugh: I lost 100 pounds and have kept it off for 8 years, so I do have some "extra" skin that will never go away, so I know I will never have a defined six pack.....it just is frustrating becuase I feel like I have been working extra hard and the numbers are the exact opposite.....