When is the best time to exercise?

Options
What is the best time in the day to exercise?

I like to do mine after dinner, alone in my room, where no one is watching me. I feel embarassed with my flab jiggling all over the place. :laugh:

What works best for you? And is there a right time to?

Replies

• xdudeitsliz
    xdudeitsliz Posts: 38
    Options
    the best time is honestly in the morning but exercise is better than none so whenever you can fit it in is great :)
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do it in the morning but I am not able to do anything until about 8 at night, it works for me.
  • squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Options
    Morning. Eating breaky and exercising get you moving, give you energy and get your metabolism a boost. I hear you burn more calories because you are less tired and more likely to get the most out of a workout.
  • Bobbie145
    Bobbie145 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Do it whenever you will do it! It's a great way to get your day started, and you don't want to do it too close to bedtime since it could possibly disturb sleep. However, the best time to do it is any time you can fit it into your schedule.
  • seymone
    seymone Posts: 6
    Options
    I try to break up my workout during the day, so I do twenty minutes in the morning and thirty minutes in the evening.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I do mine at night now because hubby is home and I can do it without the kids bothering me. But I used to like mornings to get it over and done with plus it energizes me for the day.

I think its all personal preference.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Morning. You have nothing in your belly so your body just burns the fat. It gets your metabolism going for the rest of the day and you should have more energy throughout.

I work out after work before dinner every night except on the weekends when it's usually in the afternoon. I like working out at night because I can snack about 45 minutes or an hour before my workout and then I'm not too hungry so I can shower and get ready for bed while my food is in the oven. By the time I get out, I'm hungry, I eat, and then I'm done for the night. No more snacking, just bed a few hours later. In the afternoon, I have to time it just right... I'll usually work out around 3 because it's a snack time and that works into my schedule pretty well because of when my bf gets off work or usually gets hungry. I can work out at 3, be done at 4 or 4:30, shower, have my 5 o'clock snack, then dinner around 7 and possibly a snack afterwards.

Whatever works for you, though, hon! My only advice is...don't eat TOO close to your work out, but make sure you eat before so you don't puke. Also, drink lots of water during and after, make sure your exercise is 2-3 hours before bed and try not to eat too carb-heavy because it'll turn straight into fat while you're sleeping. Also, some people get too energized & "wake up" from working out. The hot shower afterwards helps take that from me.
  • VSgirl2010
    VSgirl2010 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The best time to workout is when YOU will do it on a most consistant basis. I HATE working out in the morning but if I don't, it won't get done.....therefore for me, morning is best. :tongue:
  • sotonguetied
    Options
    i like doing my workouts first thing in the morning! gets it out of the way so i can enjoy my day, and when i wait until later in the day to do it i run the great risk of getting too tired/lazy :]
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!

I ate at 5 pm yesterday, and then I went to my son's baseball game ..then I came home at around 7 and I drank a big 16 oz glass of water, and I did my work out ... I was going to puke lol!!! And I don't go to bed till 10 or 11 .. so there is plenty of time to rest up, and I think it helps me sleep better!
  • akgrant
    akgrant Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Like most people have replied, whenever you can fit it in! :laugh: I hate working out in the morning! I am not a morning person so to wake up to do anything "extra" is not happening! I tried for the longest time to work out in the morning because everyone says it's the "best" time but I failed miserably!!

So I finally just said forget it and do what works for me. I work out between 9-10pm! My kids are sleep, my food is digested from dinner and luckily for me, after working out and taking a nice hot shower, I am ready for bed! AND as a bonus, this is the only time I sleep completely through the night! Not waking up once! This is very unusually for me since I have not had uninterrupted sleep since my oldest was born 7 years ago!!

Yes, I get tired and don't want to do it but I get tired in the morning and don't want to do it :laugh: This works for me. Do what works for you!! Good luck!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Whenever you'll do it.

Any reported benefits advocating another time of day over another are miniscule, and unless you're a big money athlete not something I would worry about.
  • pojo30
    pojo30 Posts: 62
    Options
    First thing in the morning bceause it gives me the energy I need to get through the day. Not to mention, it's a postive start which helps to keep me on track. I also work out in the evening, but often find that I have a hard time falling asleeping because I'm so wired!
  • maemccoy
    maemccoy Posts: 7
    Options
    I gotta agree with mornings also! But I'm a morning person to the core. I enjoy privacy when I go on my walks so that is another reason I get outta bed early to do so.

But I also used to walk during breaks at work with also felt pretty good. Just a walk aournd the block can make me feel good.
  • amk44
    amk44 Posts: 159
    Options
    What an interesting thread! Glad you posted it. I was wondering this same question. I don't have "a time" that I exercise, so was wondering if I should make an effort to do it at a certain time of the day... Thanks for the post... :-)
  • maree
    maree Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yup, I agree with the others, whenever you'll do it! I personally am a morning person and love waking up early for a good workout. I get fueled for the day, have better eating habits, and my entire evening to myself as a result. Evening workouts are painful for me because there are so many other things I want to do when I get home from work other than go to the gym. You'll just have to experiment until you find what works for you!
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My thought process is that I want to know how many calories I am going to burn BEFORE planning my meals for the day so that I eat enough and aren't up to 8 pm with 300 calories to go. So I figure if I workout in the morning, I can plan my meals accordingly. It's VERY hard for me to get up that early though, so it's a work in progress, lol
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    There is no "Right" time, being consistent and exercising daily or on a regular basis is whats most important. There are pros and cons to all times of the day. Here they are for you to decide which option is best for YOU.

AM workouts
    Pros:
    • The majority of people who exercise consistently do so early in the day. It is easier to form the exercise habit through morning exercise.
    • Fewer distractions and schedule interruptions.
    • Can make time for exercise by getting up a bit earlier.
    • Raises your heart rate and metabolism to burn more calories earlier in the day.
    • Gives a feeling of physical energy for hours.
    • Improves your mental acuity for hours.
    • Cooler temperatures in summer.
    • Lowest air pollution levels in the morning.
    • Body adjusts to your exercise time, so if you are training for a morning walking event, train in the morning.

Cons:
    • Body temperature is at its lowest 1 to 3 hours before awakening, making morning a time of naturally lower energy and blood flow.
    • Cold, stiff muscles may be more prone to injury. Be sure to warm up well before doing a higher speed workout, and do gentle stretching.
    • If you do not enjoy morning exercise, you won't easily form a walking habit by choosing a morning workout time.
    • Because body temperature and hormones are higher in late afternoon, you probably get the same or better calorie-burning effects later in the day.

Lunch time
    Pros:
    • Can make a habit to walk and exercise at lunch and break time.
    • Can use a walking and exercise partner at work, school, or in your neighborhood.
    • Body temperature and hormone levels are higher than first thing in the morning.
    • Can help regulate the amount of food you feel like eating for lunch, and help you avoid break-time snacking.
    • Improves blood flow to the brain so you are sharper in the afternoon.
    • Stress relief from work, school, or home stresses.
    Cons:
    • Time constraints may not allow you to get in a full workout. Any amount is good, but best if you can walk 30 to 60 minutes or more at a stretch
    • Distractions and other commitments make keep you from walking and exercising at the appointed times.
    • Research shows that lung function is worst at noon. For an easy walk, you may not notice the difference. But for a vigorous workout or for those with lung problems, the 15% to 20% difference may be felt.

Afternoons (3-7pm)
    Research shows that afternoon (3 p.m. to 7 p.m.) is the best time to exercise for both endurance and for building muscle.
    Pros:
    • For most people, body temperature and hormone levels peak at 6 p.m. Exercising 3 hours before or after the peak will give your your best workout for both endurance and building muscle.
    • Research shows lung function is best at 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.
    • Muscles are warm and flexible.
    • Perceived exertion is lowest -- how hard you feel yourself to be working at exercise. So you may be able to work out harder or faster by doing so in the afternoon.
    • Can help regulate the amount of food you feel like eating for dinner.
    • Stress relief after a day at work, school, or home.

Cons:
    • Distractions and other commitments make keep you from walking and exercising at the appointed times.

Evening (after dinner or past 6pm)
    Pros:
    • For most people, body temperature and hormone levels peak at 6 p.m. Exercising 3 hours before or after the peak will give your your best workout for both endurance and building muscle.
    • Muscles are warm and flexible.
    • Perceived exertion is low -- how hard you feel yourself to be working at exercise. So you may be able to work out harder or faster.
    • Can help regulate the amount of food you feel like eating for dinner.
    • Stress relief after a day at work, school, or home.
    Cons:
    • Need to allow one to three hours to wind down after walking or exercise to be able to fall asleep.
    • If you discover sleeping problems, need to schedule your workout earlier.
    • At dark times of the year, be sure to wear reflective gear.

THE VERY BEST TIME OF DAY TO WALK

The very best time to walk? Walking can only do you good if you do it. The best time to walk is the time that will fit best into your schedule so you can do it consistently. Experts agree -- it is not the time of day that matters as much as finding the time you can set aside consistently for your workouts.

In other words, working out after dinner will be JUST AS GOOD for you as any other time of day! Keep it up someday you won't be embarassed anymore :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • ekrueger002
    ekrueger002 Posts: 15
    Options
    Read an article on this recently.....believe it was Men's Health.....best time to work out is either 3 or 11 hours after you wake up. had something to do with hormone, chemical balance, and proper lubrication of muscles/joints.

Granted 'Best' here is physiological and not necessary realistic in daily life.....so just do it and be consistent. :-)