1/2 marathon - What to eat?

Options
So I am doing my 2nd 1/2 marathon this weekend. Need some friendly advise on what to eat before. Carbs vs protein? Just the night before and morning of? What's your pre-run nutrition look like?

Replies

• sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I try to eat light. . .fairly carb friendly the day before my half. And I hydrate. . .A LOT! Otherwise, I just spend the day getting pumped up to run. Then again, I'm not an elite runner ....my best half is 01:48:03.. . so more accomplished runners may give better advice.

Good luck. Go GET IT!!!
  • raiderzara
    raiderzara Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Night before: lots of water, simple carbs (like pasta). Not too many calories, protein, or fat, as your body won't digest it all before the race start. Avoid lots of fiber or acidic foods (no orange juice, tomato sauce, salad, beans) to keep digestive issues away.

Morning of, at least 3 hours before start, around 500 calories total of: oatmeal, 1 egg (hard-boiled or fried), banana, maybe a yogurt. Coffee (to get things "moving"). Plenty of water or maybe sports drink.

Good luck!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Same thing you eat for your long runs; don't change anything or try something new. What did you do before your first race? I increased my carb intake the day before but I always did that on my LR. Stuck to the same breakfast the morning of. The only thing I changed was put my heavier meal at lunch instead of dinner due to timing and bloat.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I try to eat light. . .fairly carb friendly the day before my half. And I hydrate. . .A LOT! Otherwise, I just spend the day getting pumped up to run. Then again, I'm not an elite runner ....my best half is 01:48:03.. . so more accomplished runners may give better advice.

Good luck. Go GET IT!!!

Really? Your best 1/2 is 1:48?! You make it sound like that's a horrible time! People train and work hard to reach sub 2 hrs. Be proud!
  • raiderzara
    raiderzara Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Really? Your best 1/2 is 1:48?! You make it sound like that's a horrible time! People train and work hard to reach sub 2 hrs. Be proud!
    [/quote]

I know, I was thinking the same thing - I got super close to a sub-2 in 2009 and then stopped running...I'd kill for a 1:48!! :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm training for my first half in June, and I'm aiming for 2hrs 30!
  • girlsrun
    Options
    I agree with staying with what you have been doing on your long runs. My favorite pre-race meal is English muffin with peanut butter, banana, and honey. Works great for me.

I'm also doing a half on Sunday this weekend. Best of luck and have a great race!! :smile:
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

Good luck. Go GET IT!!!

DITTO!!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have my first 1/2 coming this Sunday!

My understanding is a healthy portion of carbs the night before and protein after is the way to go. Don't have any science to back this up! Just what I have been told and read from different sources.

Was also told not eat anything new the day before a race and to avoid milk products before a race. Again, anecdotal only, no science to quote on this.
  • dorothytd
    Options
    For the morning of... I've only done one so far, but was advised by a "real runner" to eat a bagel (salt, but I ate plain) and a banana. I only ate half and the banana and I felt great. But I agree to do what you'd normally do for long runs.

Good luck and have fun!!
  • ragslittle
    ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Normally for my long runs I eat 2 slices of wheat toast with cream cheese and a banana. - and a protein shake after. So I will stick with that and have some pasta the night before i guess.
  • dorothytd
    Options
    I just noticed your ticker. HOLY WOW!!! You are an inspiration. i hope you have a great run!!
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    going for my fourth one on sunday, some carbs the day before but not a "load", I'd rather sleep well than be full of carbs, and oatmeal three hours before the run or nothing.
    short to medium runs are always on an empty stomach for me, long runs are either oatmeal or nothing.

Rehydrate well after the race, that's the important part ;)
  • mhk0719
    mhk0719 Posts: 255
    Options
    Thanks for posting this question! I was wondering the same thing. I am doing a Half next weekend. :)
  • EricaRuns27
    EricaRuns27 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comment about the same thing you eat before a long run! I did my first half a month ago, & "carbed" up. I was miserable the first couple miles. I recommend doing what makes u comfortable on long runs. I am weird and normally don't eat before I run because I feel sick. That's always worked for me on my long run days.

Also wear clothes that u are comfortable in and normally run in! That way race day you are completely comfortable and in your element. Goodluck and have fun!
  • pamtram
    pamtram Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Good luck !!!!!
  • jjlibunao
    Options
    I just looked at your pics on your profile page - what a transformation. You look great! Anyway, as far as food is concerned, I really don't incorporate anything new the night before half marathon. I know people say to "carbo load" but I eat what i would normally eat: chicken with some vegetables. I actually go lighter on the carbs. However, I just try to stay away from too much fiber. But the day before running any long distance (10 miles or more), I try to eat a slice (or two) of wheat bread with peanut butter. Definitely two to three hours before the run/race. And during the race, I'll carry some chocolate Gu and energy gummy chews.

And I agree with the other people. 1:48 is VERY fast for a half. My fastest half ever was 2:06 and I can't imagine even breaking 2 hours.