New and finding it difficult

Options
Hello all, I signed up about a month ago and have not been doing so good at staying motivated my ticker says I have lost 7lbs but that is only cause I was not able to weigh myself at the time of registering. Part of my problem is that I crave cheeses and breads. I have tried to bring healthy snacks with me to work like fruits and veggies only they make me hungrier it is so aggravating. Don’t get me wrong I love eating fruits and veggies it is just weird that I feel more hungry and want to snack that much more. It makes me crave the heavy foods all day long and I fight with myself about it. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Replies

• cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Have the foods you crave. Just be careful to watch the servings and portion sizes!
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    There are many things 'to do' but my one suggestion would be to get a protein involved in every meal/snack (get some low fat cheese like Cabot, and get away from that bread :smile: ).

Now the people how actually know stuff will be following up with you shortly...:tongue:

Hang in there... Tony Horton says: "Just keep pushing Play".
  • IbettR
    IbettR Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I always go through the same. My ticker still says 0 lbs lost, because I started less than two weeks ago. But every time I crave a certain meal from a restaurant, or junk food that hasn't been thrown out yet, I look at a Before picture on how I long to look again, and I look at the most recent picture I can find....:sick: yuk.
  • LMsmile
    LMsmile Posts: 2
    Options
    I agree that you should have the foods you crave, just in the correct portions, and adding protein does help. I also have found that adding fiber helps keep me full. Those FiberOne bars really do help, especially if you eat them with a big glass of water.

One tip I've read over and over is that every time you have a craving for something and you think you shouldn't really be hungry, drink a glass of water and wait 10 minutes. Then if you still have the craving have a small portion of whatever it is.

Don't get frustrated!! We all have our ups and downs. Good luck!
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried I think its either skinny cow cheese wedges or laughing cow cheese wedges and they are I think around 50 calories or 100 (not sure off hand sorry) and with crackers... crackers that I love are rye crisps (have them with cheese or pb or something taste bland plain) but three rye crisps is like 60 calories and there is alot of dietery fiber in them as well
  • lovebrittnie
    Options
    Fiber is also a good help, it helps you to feel satisfied longer. i suggest the fiber one cereal especially the original. the original cereal cereal in just 1/2 cup has about 14g of fiber (57% of daily amount) , 1g fat, 0g sugar, 60 cals, and it taste pretty good (and i'm not just saying that as a person in her attempts to go healthy has lost her taste for really good food or food that taste good but is bad for you). and there are aalso fiber bars and yogurts.

fruits and vegetables are definitely good for you... but i have found also that it isn't as filling.. so i suggest maybe pairing up the fruits and vegetables with something else... like sometimes i'll have a banana while snacking on the half cup of fiberone cereal...
    or i'll a cup or two of sliced cucumbers with half of a turkey and ham sandwhich for lunch... so these are ways you can still get in the daily recomended fruits and vegetables, but still find it a bit more fillling... so maybe you can pair a serving of cheese with your vegetables, just find a good healthy cheese to match it with

and also getting in plenty of water... it is sometimes hard for me to always get in 8 cups of water, but if you at least try and shoot for 5 (over 1 liter or about 38 ounces) or 6 cups a day, it should really help... not only does water flush out differnt toxins in your body, but i've noticed that when drinking more water i have more energy... and when it comes to food, water helps me to fill satisfied longer. and it also helps to prevent over eating... in general it takes your body about 15 minutes to send the message to your brain that you are no longer hungry, which is why many perople over eat and have that bloated stuffed feeling.

anyway... i realized i probably added more things than you wanted to know, but i hope you found some of the info helpful
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Yeah, cheese and bread are definitely two things that it helps to cut down on if you want to lose weight. A serving size of cheese is basically what you'd get on a cocktail toothpick at a party. However, you don't need to completely cut out bread and cheese if you truly love them. It's really just a matter of portion size and healthier alternatives as well. I love Skinny Cow light swiss cheese wedges. They are 35 cals a wedge and you can spread it on whole wheat crackers, a rice cake, or some bread. I love cheese too and used to put it on practically everything. The 'white' cheeses tend to have less calories, i.e. swiss, mozzarella, parmesan, etc. Nowadays, if I want a little cheese on something like a sandwich I just use half a slice, maybe even only a quarter which satisfies my need. And, I'm not that into processed, sliced breads..but get near me with a fresh loaf -French baguette, Italian...and it's hard. I seriously just weigh my bread and stick to a certain amount to control my calories. It can definitely be a pain, but it is worth it to me to weigh some of my food. I love fruits and veggies too, but if you want to feel full longer you should add more protein and fiber as others have mentioned. Lastly, drink water, water, and more water. Good luck!
  • LaurenH2010
    LaurenH2010 Posts: 71
    Options
    Thanks everyone I will have to find something to bring to work that has more protein and or fiber that is low cal too, I appreciate all the support. :smile:
  • amk44
    amk44 Posts: 159
    Options
    Gotta add my two cents worth. :laugh: I love bread, and didn't/won't give it up - but I do bypass the high calorie ones, and purchase the 35 calorie wheat ones. For breakfast, I sometimes even enjoy French toast made from the low cal bread and egg whites; and I top it with fresh fruit. Even my husband enjoys it.

At 35 calories a slice, I can put low fat cheese (or tuna, or chicken, etc) on a piece of this bread (toasted preferred) and have a satisfying open face sandwich with very low calories... By the way, I enjoy 1/2 Flatout flatbread as a wrap for a greens salad on occasion, and also use a whole piece of it as a base for pizza, too. I know some would say pizza is a no, no, too, but I enjoy it once in a while, keeping the cheese to a minimum amount.

I enjoy cheese, but only allow myself very small amounts. For most things, a "little" satisfies me (but not sweet things - seems I can't just taste a "little" sweet - I try to replace sweets with fresh fruits as much as possible).

By the way, for me, I think that we know ourselves the best. If having a piece of bread and/or a slice of cheese "once in a while" keeps us focused on the "prize of a healthier weight", then I say, "Go for it." There is no "one way" to reach your goal... :wink:

Good luck to you in your journey...