I KEEP BINGING

Options
HELP. I KEEP BINGING. THIS IS MY THIRD TIME BINGING THIS WEEK. I FAIL :(

Replies

• coke_bottle
    coke_bottle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    There has to be something going on in your life for you to keep overeating. Emotional overeating is what most people do. Stress is a main factor. You have to figure out what emotions you are having when you binge. Fear is another factor that can cause you to sabotage your self. Do you exercise, because that is a great stress reliever and you feel accomplished afterwards.I do realize you are still very young and have hormones going everywhere, but YOU CAN DO THIS AND SUCCEED! Talk about your feelings with someone who you can trust like mfp friends. When you feel like you are going to go on a binge, go take a walk, or do something to take your mind off food. Hope this helped and I wish you the very best.:flowerforyou:
  • refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I cannot see your diary, but your daily calories you have set might be too low and you're binging now from too much of a calorie deficit. Maybe try upping your calories more and eating several small, healthy meals in intervals throughout the day so by the evening you aren't so ravenous.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    If it's not a calorie shortage issue as suggested, maybe you can put a plan into place of what to do when you feel like binging or find yourself starting to binge? Someone to call, something to do to get you up and out of the house, away from food (and someone to make you follow through on the plan?)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I cannot see your diary, but your daily calories you have set might be too low and you're binging now from too much of a calorie deficit. Maybe try upping your calories more and eating several small, healthy meals in intervals throughout the day so by the evening you aren't so ravenous.

This.

I would only add that your healthy meals should have lots of protein and some healthy fats.
  • tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Options
    I mostly agree with the above posters... it's probably a) some emotional stress you're unable to cope with at the moment or b) a lack of calories or nutrients in general so that your physical body is taking over to compensate through bingeing.

Are there certain foods you're bingeing on or craving? Sometimes if it's one particular food or food group, it may be a sign of a lack of a certain nutrients. Last week I could not get enough cheese. I literally ate over a pound of cheese in a few days. After some research I discovered cheese cravings can sometimes signify a lack of omega 3s.... I'd recently run out of and stopped taking my omega supplement. Needless to say I got a new one, stat, and after a few days, no longer was feeling the insatiable desire for cheese.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Well - stop it! If you can write it, you can stop it. Go start a project far away from food. Clean and rearrange your room. Anything.
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that taking the time to learn to separate food from emotions can help quite a bit. I know we all have foods that we know taste great, and we associate pleasure with that. Try eating some foods, then log it. Look at your calories left over. Try to remember that food is really only fuel for our body. It's just to make us go. Try to fine pleasure in other activities.

I remember when you were on here before your most recent pause. I can't remember fully, but I think you said you would be quite hungry trying to stay on a 1200 calorie diet. I say don't do it. Eat 1300-1500, and get some more exercise. I share your binging issue, not to the extent of multiple times a week, but those days do come like once a month. Keep at it. Tomorrow is another day. Best wishes to you.
  • Ztefh
    Ztefh Posts: 17
    Options
    One thing that really helps me from binging is to pre-package all of my foods into individual portions and to tell myself that this amount of food needs to get me through the week until my next grocery shopping trip. It is hard and frustrating to confront my stress in ways that don't involve food, but it won't happen over night.
  • czapp1
    czapp1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    hey honey--i get the binges too and there are alot of people saying "just stop." they have absolutely no goddamned idea.

is it physical or emotional?

If it's physical listen to the great comments up here about upping your daily calories and eating more throughout the day until it passes.

if it's emotional, then you need to figure out what's really bothering you. sometimes just getting out of the house helps because you dont have access to all the food. try writing it down.

i wish i could help more, but if I could I wouldnt do it myself!! Feel free to add me as a friend for support. :)
  • bethann223
    Options
    Well, considering I started binging when I was about your age and still do it now, I don't have much advice for you.....except that you should get help NOW. Don't wait and think you can deal with it on your own.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    It's the snacks.
    I think you may be on too strict a diet and that's why it's hard to stick to.
    If you could have more filling breakfasts and lunches you may find it easier.

please talk to whoever set your diet and see what they think.
  • theedge56
    theedge56 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    HELP. I KEEP BINGING. THIS IS MY THIRD TIME BINGING THIS WEEK. I FAIL :(

Switch to Google
  • nyemu
    nyemu Posts: 43
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Lots sound advice above, however I find that the only way to really stop a binge dead in its tracks is to get all girly and pamper yourself.

When I feel the need to binge, I pull out the sparkly nail varnish, face/ hair mask, depilatory cream, tweezers....it's pretty hard to stuff your face if its dried tight in an avocado and honey face mask and reaching into a bag of chips isn't worth it if it will smudge your manicure.

Good luck
  • bethann223
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Lots sound advice above, however I find that the only way to really stop a binge dead in its tracks is to get all girly and pamper yourself.

When I feel the need to binge, I pull out the sparkly nail varnish, face/ hair mask, depilatory cream, tweezers....it's pretty hard to stuff your face if its dried tight in an avocado and honey face mask and reaching into a bag of chips isn't worth it if it will smudge your manicure.

Good luck

This
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    We need to see your diary. You could make it public.

What exactly do you mean by binge? I have seen some posts exclaiming a binge and self-hatred when the person ate 400 calories more than alotted for the day. If that is you, that is NOT A BINGE.

If not, then let us see the diary so we can know what we are talking about when we make well-meaning suggestions.
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Here are some groups that can help and/or at least give you support. I have the binging problem, too. I would be glad to give you support.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/12145-50-day-binge-free-challenge

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/743-binge-eating-support-group

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1029-emotional-eating
  • downalynn
    downalynn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein. It'll help you feel full longer. If sweets is your thing, get something like Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches and allow for 1 or 2 of those per day. Like others have suggested, eat throughout the day. If you're starving, you are going to eat the worst crap possible. If you binge, make yourself exercise to combat the binge and lessen it's blow.

If it's emotional, take some time to sort through your emotions. Write them down, analyze them, and then replace binge eating with something else that feels good.