Why haven't I lost any weight

Options
I've been so good; I don't understand why I haven't lost any weight. I'm staying at or below my calorie goal and getting more exercise than I have at any time in my adult life. I've been at it for two weeks--and excercising regularly since the first of the year. Shouldn't there be some difference on the scale by now?

I'm taking those Green coffee bean pills that are supposed to boost my metabolism. I'm ready to write Dr. Oz and yell at him--he says they work. (I've been on the green coffee beans for over a month). Any advice?

Replies

• NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    All I can say is, not all pills work for everyone. Also, its takes a while to lose weight, some lose faster then others. It took me a full year to lose just 23 pounds. Just stick with it, stuff doesn't happen over night.
  • laciemn
    laciemn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you are eating a lot of carbs, that might be it.
    Lots of salt & lack of water can make you retain water.
    Drinking alcohol or stress can deter weight loss.
  • kmartinko
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. Keep working on it. Your body will respond to the changes. How many calories are you eating? If you are exercising, but not properly feeding your body, you will not lose weight. Make sure you are not getting too many carbs, avoid sugar and eat plenty of protein and fiber.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    You need to relax... weight loss takes time. You also haven't provided enough information for anyone to make suggestions. You could be retaining water, underestimating exercise, overestimating calories consumed, not eating enough etc etc etc. Two weeks is not nearly enough time.

And for the pills from Dr. Oz... never take a thing he suggests. He suggests them for the money he gets... not for the benefits. Nothing he suggest works. The only thing that will up your metabolism is a bit of caffiene or building muscle. Seriously... just because he is a doctor doesn't mean he knows much.
  • utangg
    Options
    Be patient. The weight will come off. It took me over two months before I started to lose. I'm sure it won't take you that long.
  • susanb1111
    Options
    Thanks for the kind thoughts. I'm riding an Expresso bike, so I know the exercise count is good for that. I drink lots of water and eat little or no salt--nice idea though. I do wonder about the carbs, though. I get most of my calories from carbs.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the kind thoughts. I'm riding an Expresso bike, so I know the exercise count is good for that. I drink lots of water and eat little or no salt--nice idea though. I do wonder about the carbs, though. I get most of my calories from carbs.

Track your sodium intake.. I bet it's a lot higher than you think it is. Sodium is in everything whether or not you add salt to your food. Carbs, as long as you are not consuming far too many calories as a whole will not make you gain or lose weight.
  • heatherpg47
    heatherpg47 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
  • lamos1
    lamos1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Did you take measurements when you started? If so, see if it has changed. Maybe you're losing inches instead! I know how you feel though.
  • darkangeljanie
    Options
    You don't want to be going below your calorie goal because then you can start to hold onto food. Stay at your calorie goal and remember to increase intake after exercise.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    You say you're eating at/below your calorie goal, but you don't say what your calorie goal actually is. One of the absolute most common reasons for not losing weight is NOT EATING ENOUGH.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    two weeks! That answers your own question.. Get off the scale and weigh in the first and last day of each month. Take measurements and get your BF% . Women lose BF% first and measurements....then the scale follows

BF% - tells u how much
    Measurements - tell u where

Done!
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Reduce your carbs to 100 grams a day .... Up your protein and fat and vegetable intake. Focus on good fats: olive oil, coconut oil, butter, animal fats .... Avoid vegetable oils. Carbs are converted to glucose, which requires insulin to process. Insulin tells your body to burn the glucose and store the fat. Make sure and keep your calories at the level they are now, though. 8 cups of water a day. Get a food scale and measure everything you eat, too.

For what it's worth, my wife and I have each lost over 25 lbs since last summer by doing what I describe above.
  • susanb1111
    Options
    I do all the cooking, and I cook from scratch--never use salt because my mom has high blood pressure and can't have any. So the only time I get more than a little naturally occuring sodium is when I eat out, which is 2 times a week. I get very little salt--I sometimes wonder if I need more (my bp was 101/70 2 weeks ago.)
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've been so good; I don't understand why I haven't lost any weight. I'm staying at or below my calorie goal and getting more exercise than I have at any time in my adult life. I've been at it for two weeks--and excercising regularly since the first of the year. Shouldn't there be some difference on the scale by now?

I'm taking those Green coffee bean pills that are supposed to boost my metabolism. I'm ready to write Dr. Oz and yell at him--he says they work. (I've been on the green coffee beans for over a month). Any advice?

How do we tell your diary is closed. So how can we see what you are eating. If you are going to ask for help open your diary
  • susanb1111
    Options
    I'm new here. I didn't know that was an option. My calorie goal is 1220. I'll have to look at the rest. Thanks.
  • sarbear1993
    Options
    You need to relax... weight loss takes time. You also haven't provided enough information for anyone to make suggestions. You could be retaining water, underestimating exercise, overestimating calories consumed, not eating enough etc etc etc. Two weeks is not nearly enough time.

And for the pills from Dr. Oz... never take a thing he suggests. He suggests them for the money he gets... not for the benefits. Nothing he suggest works. The only thing that will up your metabolism is a bit of caffiene or building muscle. Seriously... just because he is a doctor doesn't mean he knows much.

This^^ took nutrition in college and my professor (dietician) absolutely hates him...
  • enantiodromia
    Options
    What about gradually cutting down on how often you go out to eat per week? Two times a week seems like an awful lot, especially since it is really, really hard to make great choices in nearly almost every fast food joint and restaurant. Even salads at restaurants are usually not healthy for a myriad of reasons. My guess is this might actually be one of the biggest factors for the stagnant weight.
  • arose4yu
    Options
    yeah sometimes bodies just are stubborn like that.....I'm sure you'll experience a loss here soon......if you don't see any results after a month I'd talk to a doctor..could be thyroid related.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You have only logged your food for 10 days and your calories have swung wildly from 337 up to 1990. You need to work out your calories with the link someone above provided and try to stick to that amount of calories everyday so you can see what is working for you and what isn't. 1200 calories is not enough in anycase for most people but if you do what the link says you'll find out for sure. Good luck!!!